Why did you join the Marines and not another branch?
Create Post
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Why did you join the Marines and not another branch?

Why did you choose to join the Elite Force Of Marines and not another service such as, army, air force, or navy?

Fun question, hope there is interesting answers...

Something to tell my kids some day. To go any more in-depth then that would take a long time, and it's like 3 in the morning so I'm headin' to bed.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    Something to tell my kids some day. To go any more in-depth then that would take a long time, and it's like 3 in the morning so I'm headin' to bed.

Haha ok well thank you anyways I got a laugh out of that one.

A lot of reasons. When I enlisted, I liked the fact that they weren't going to carry me to boot camp through the DEP. They told me I needed to improve or I would be kicked out (my IST was horrendous when I enlisted, its still bad now but atleast its passing), and I liked the fact that I had to earn everything in the Marines, even the privilege to go to boot camp.

and throughout my entire life, i've always looked at the Marines as "the best of the best". and if I was going to join the military, I wanted to become the best

To elaborate more on this:

I grew up on a farm being around my father a lot and he would always talk about how his dad was such an amazing guy and how he was the toughest SOB he had ever seen. (He was a squid Admiral's bodyguard during WWII) He would show me a bunch of his pictures and even a gun he got from killing someone.

This was such a huge shock to me as I had only seen my grandpa in his weakest state, at around 70 years old. We took care of him right up until the very end of his life (we lived with him) and that taught me one of the greatest lessons of all - Even the strongest cannot beat time.

The Marine Corps came into play between junior and senior year when I was trying to make up my mind about what I wanted to do with my life. I was nieve and didn't know ANYTHING about the recruiting process and still couldn't pick a branch. I set up an appointment with the army recruiter, he never showed, so after a heavy bit of swearing at inanimate objects I scratched the army off the list.

I immediately crossed the National Guard and Air Force off of the list because I know about 4 people in each and I am 100% positive I would destroy them in a fight.. that was not acceptable. That left me with Navy and Marine Corps since I've never seen a Coast Guard recruiter in my life and pretty much had no interest in it.

I went down to the Marine Corps recruiter's office and had a meeting, little did I know he is the best at what he does. I know that there are those who doubt everything their recruiter's are saying because a lot of them stretch the truth, but this one was different, he had facts to support everything he said. After hearing what he had to say I devised a plan of how I would live the next 4, possibly more, years of my life and how to make it the most beneficial for me. I soon learned the differences between the Marines and what sets them apart from every other branch, which started me to want it all more.

And that's all folks.. I got in the DEP.. trained more and more, got my two referrals (in theory), and last but not least I got my MOS (Flight Crew Chief). August 9th I ship out and couldn't be happier.

The thing that attracted me the most to the USMC was the pride I saw in all Marines. I like the fact that they don't wear cammies in public and walk around with their hands in the pockets. I like the fact that if you insult a Marine you just started sh*t with every Marine within earshot. I like the fact that whenever some dictator douchebag needs his ass kicked the Marines are the first ones there.
    I spent over a month in the Army DEP. I got out of my contract and reenlisted with the USMC for the reasons mentioned above (as well as a few others). I'm not saying anything bad about the Army.... I just felt like it wasn't for me.

The reason why I want to be a Marine is because I believe actually let me rephrase that I KNOW THEY'RE THE BEST and being a female I want the challenege. They show you how to be a leader and maek you pride to say I AM A MARINE. Unlike the army, air force and navy you say i'm in the navy. I'm not saying any other branch is horrible because I was in the AFJROTC program in high school and loved it but i knew the air force wasn't for me. 20100726 here I come parris island!!

I was born to be a Marine.

Army and Navy boot was getting too soft, I think you can have cell phones now in the army and computer access. I want that old true American boot camp experience. Plus the Corps hands down prepares you the most for combat which is the key goal here. All that in combination of the pride you earn, the history, and the brotherhood. I was dead set on Marines.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    To elaborate more on this:

I grew up on a farm being around my father a lot and he would always talk about how his dad was such an amazing guy and how he was the toughest SOB he had ever seen. (He was a squid Admiral's bodyguard during WWII) He would show me a bunch of his pictures and even a gun he got from killing someone.

This was such a huge shock to me as I had only seen my grandpa in his weakest state, at around 70 years old. We took care of him right up until the very end of his life (we lived with him) and that taught me one of the greatest lessons of all - Even the strongest cannot beat time.

The Marine Corps came into play between junior and senior year when I was trying to make up my mind about what I wanted to do with my life. I was nieve and didn't know ANYTHING about the recruiting process and still couldn't pick a branch. I set up an appointment with the army recruiter, he never showed, so after a heavy bit of swearing at inanimate objects I scratched the army off the list.

I immediately crossed the National Guard and Air Force off of the list because I know about 4 people in each and I am 100% positive I would destroy them in a fight.. that was not acceptable. That left me with Navy and Marine Corps since I've never seen a Coast Guard recruiter in my life and pretty much had no interest in it.

I went down to the Marine Corps recruiter's office and had a meeting, little did I know he is the best at what he does. I know that there are those who doubt everything their recruiter's are saying because a lot of them stretch the truth, but this one was different, he had facts to support everything he said. After hearing what he had to say I devised a plan of how I would live the next 4, possibly more, years of my life and how to make it the most beneficial for me. I soon learned the differences between the Marines and what sets them apart from every other branch, which started me to want it all more.

And that's all folks.. I got in the DEP.. trained more and more, got my two referrals (in theory), and last but not least I got my MOS (Flight Crew Chief). August 9th I ship out and couldn't be happier.

Thank you that was very interesting to read. By the way Love the signature.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlee2010 View Post
    I was born to be a Marine.

Not to get off subject or anything, and I'm not against you because I thought the same thing until I saw on the Marines website "Marines arn't born, they are made". Not against you at all love the enthusiam.
    That's why now I say I was born to be made. Haha.
    Good Luck. I look forward to fight by yourside and every Marines side and poolees side someday.

Thank you wilsontc11, Yonkers, jburke1983, Cellerbe, davidlee2010, and Time Bandit. Hopefully I can hear everyone else's reasons for joining the Marines and not another branch as well.

When I decided to join the military I knew I wanted three things after I had served. Leadership, Discipline, and the satisfaction of knowing i pushed myself to the limits. At first i looked into the Navy Because of my Father, but I kept salivating over the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps offers so much more than any branch when it comes to pride and honor. Other branches will throw $10,000 bonuses to sign a contract, but there is not a dime in the world that could replace the thought of someone calling me a United States Marine one day. I could see how someone would want to the Air Force, Navy or coastguard over the Marine corps because of their children or they were trying to pursue a degree. But that is an outsiders perspective because I have not experienced the military yet. ( 99 days to go!!)

Quote Originally Posted by 32JJW0311 View Post
    Thank you that was very interesting to read. By the way Love the signature.
    Tis my fav poem/rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrZeo...layer_embedded

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dedicated to all Marines, Past and Present.
    By: Jeannie Salinski
    In a crowd you're bound to spot him,
    He's standing so very tall
    Not too much impresses him;
    He's seen and done it all.
    His hair is short, his eyes are sharp,
    But his smile's a little blue.
    It's the only indication
    Of the hell that he's gone through.
    He belongs to a sacred brotherhood,
    Always Faithful 'til the end.
    He has walked right into battle
    And walked back out again.
    Many people think him foolish
    For having no regrets
    About having lived through many times
    Others would forget.
    He's the first to go and last to know,
    But never questions why,
    On whether it is right or wrong,
    But only do or die.
    He walks a path most won't take
    He's lost much along the way,
    But he thinks a lot of freedom,
    It's a small price to pay.
    Yes, he has chosen to live a life
    Off the beaten track,
    Knowing well each time he's called,
    He might not make it back.
    So, next time you see a Devil Dog
    Standing proud and true,
    Be grateful for all he's given;
    He's given it for you.
    Don't go up and ask him
    What's it's like to be in a war;
    Just thank God that it's your country
    He's always fighting for.
    And thank him too for all the hell
    He's seen in that shade of green,
    Thank him for having the guts
    To be a United States Marine.

My father was a SSgt. and a Recon Marine. My Grandfather was a Sgt. Maj. who served four tours in Vietnam and was a 'Tunnel Rat'.

I did MCJROTC in high school and fell in love with the discipline, uniform(s), and history of the Corps.

A few trips to Camp Pendleton and speaking with my Father and Grandfather sealed the deal for me.

I would've already came back with the title but I dicked around for two years and now I'm ready to claim the title and become a United States Marine.

Thread Information