Reservist Medals
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reservist Medals

I just looked in my Marine Online and saw the below medals dates. What does this mean? Are these medals that I am eligible for? Is there really a medal just for being a reservist? Kinda lame if you ask me.

ARMED FORCES RESERVE MEDAL DATE: 2009-10-19
    SMCR MEDAL DATE: 2009-10-19

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    yes there is a reserve medal but you don't rate it until you have been with your unit for something like 3 years. That date you see is the date you went to boot camp, start of your contract, and the date they use later to rate those medals.

Only medal you should rate right now is your NDSM (pizza stain/fire watch ribbon). After about a year or so with your unit you should rate your GWOT (global war on terrorism service medal).

Moved to the uniform section...also, you might want to pm thedrifter to have your status changed....unless you are still a poolee somehow LOL.

One of them is the USMCR "good cookie", the other is the AFRM (blue/yellowish). The AFRM you get when you deploy (M), or stay in for 3 years(Hourglass). Same with the good cookie, that's if you don't get NJP'd.

And yes, there are medals for just being a reservist, same with medals just for active duty (GWOT after a month in the fleet, active duty good cookie).

Reservist get the GWOT when they deploy, also.

Is there a reason for having a reservist ribbon? I dont see how it even even came about... a ribbon for being a weekend warrior.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Assaultdog0351 View Post
    Is there a reason for having a reservist ribbon? I dont see how it even even came about... a ribbon for being a weekend warrior.
    is there a reason for a CAR Cpl?....

I understand its a completely different argument with that but its just another ribbon for doing a job and/or being at the right time and place.

(not trying to belittle any Marines accomplishments like yourself Cpl. just playing a little devils advocate, I agree with you to some extent)

I don't know, but if you ask me... there shouldn't be a 3rd-class PFT award or a Marksmanship badge (3rd-class as well).

The Marine Corps shouldn't except a 3rd class anything... but that's just a nobody's opinion.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    is there a reason for a CAR Cpl?....

I understand its a completely different argument with that but its just another ribbon for doing a job and/or being at the right time and place.

(not trying to belittle any Marines accomplishments like yourself Cpl. just playing a little devils advocate, I agree with you to some extent)

If you're gonna play devil's advocate do it right. Asking questions like that will get your face rearranged in real life. You might want to avoid it in the future. You tell me what C A R stands for and you'll see the reason for it. I might be livin POG-a-licous now but I was an 0351 too and I dare you to come take my CAR away.

Having said that, I get the Reserve medals-they are just reserve component equivalents of the same active duty awards. I bear no grudge towards reservists. I used to clown on them as Weekend Warriors and "Fleet Dodging Nasties" but in time I saw the burden they bore at home and abroad. Being a Marine is hard and so is holding down a job and a civilian life. Doing both is no small feat and I give respect where it is due.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    I don't know, but if you ask me... there shouldn't be a 3rd-class PFT award or a Marksmanship badge (3rd-class as well).

The Marine Corps shouldn't except a 3rd class anything... but that's just a nobody's opinion.

Well I guess we ought to ACCEPT 3rd class spelling, Marine? Go check out the spelling MCI and haze yourself.

Just bustin your balls, brother-only grunts get away with being illiterate, though. Before you go hard charging and putting people down, just try to think about why the Corps accepts 3rd class. Anything less is failing and not every one is young dumb and full of you know what right off the Depot. Yeah every Marine should shoot for the top, but the fact is that years, injuries, and life take their toll. If you had a stellar analyst working for you who was sh!t-hot but ran a 190 or fvcked up the range, would you want to separate him or help him get better? Which would be better for the Corps? You can fix pullups; you can't fix stupid.

Hope that helps.

Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    If you're gonna play devil's advocate do it right. Asking questions like that will get your face rearranged in real life. You might want to avoid it in the future. You tell me what C A R stands for and you'll see the reason for it. I might be livin POG-a-licous now but I was an 0351 too and I dare you to come take my CAR away.

Having said that, I get the Reserve medals-they are just reserve component equivalents of the same active duty awards. I bear no grudge towards reservists. I used to clown on them as Weekend Warriors and "Fleet Dodging Nasties" but in time I saw the burden they bore at home and abroad. Being a Marine is hard and so is holding down a job and a civilian life. Doing both is no small feat and I give respect where it is due.
    Well said brother, we each have a appointed place of duty, we go where the Corps sends us, or dosn't send us. I honestly feel like I did pretty good coming away with three ribbons, and one of them being a MUC in only two years, before going out on medical. On top of that I earned my ribbons just like all other Marines do. You may not feel like you earned it when given, but you earn it eventually. Like I said Chris well said brother!!

The reservist GC is for just that. And until you have to do the weekend grind for a few years, you might want to re-think your jackass like statement. Reservists of all branches have deployed far more than the active forces have in this war. I know several 'reservists' who have 4 tours and are still going.

Yeah....you can't fix stupid.

Nuff said on my part before I get really fired the heck up.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post

Things happen man, I shot Sharpshooter in Boot, Expert in the fleet, and then Marksman right before getting out. Dosn't make anyone less of a Marine, I was good at my job, and my NCO's, SNCO's and Officers knew it that was good enough for me.

Credits
    Savings
    just call it like I see it..just another Marine with an opinion (is there any other kind? )

Thanks, though. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    just call it like I see it..just another Marine with an opinion (is there any other kind? )

Thanks, though. Semper Fi

I agree if a Marine dosn't have an opinion he aint right

Your welcome though!

I would put it up there with tha ribbon they were talking about awarding for not shooting when it could have hurt civilians...

Thread Information