Reservist Medals - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Actually... my spelling was correct, I just chose the wrong word Typing from a phone. No excuses though. I know what you're saying about having a smart guy vs. a guy in shape. But at the end of the day, it is every Marine's responsibility to be in shape. It is who we are. Doesn't matter how smart you are, if I have to carry your @$$ because you can't run when you need to... it balances out with the fact that your smart, and regardless of that fact, people will still lose respect.

About the reservist thing. Both sides have pros and cons.

Pros for the reservist are that they don't have to put up with the day-today crap and dealing with living on base and always being around that life. Which is good or bad depending on the person. I'm a reservist because my wife wanted to be able to live by family when our son was born. It has worked out great.

The cons are that I just got out of 9 months of training... only to have to start working just as hard to get a civilian job. Active Duty is job security and knowing that you'll be able to put food on the table for your kids every day.

Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb You don't like it, fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    Actually... my spelling was correct, I just chose the wrong word Typing from a phone. No excuses though. I know what you're saying about having a smart guy vs. a guy in shape. But at the end of the day, it is every Marine's responsibility to be in shape. It is who we are. Doesn't matter how smart you are, if I have to carry your @$$ because you can't run when you need to... it balances out with the fact that your smart, and regardless of that fact, people will still lose respect.
    I'm with you brother-you must think you're trying to preach to the choir or some shiat. You think I don't know Marines ought to be in shape? What I'm saying is there is a reason for 3rd class. The alternative is UNQ/Fail which equals sep.

Don't think Marines get a free ride by scrapin the bare minimums-it reflects and it carries a price. Low composite scores, low pro/con marks (which amplify the problem), negative counselings, non-reqs, not to mention an eternal place on the Sgt's sht list til they snap to and get the fck in gear. Life ain't peaches for non-hackers-not if their leadership is worth a damn. That being said, remember our job (and yours too before long) is not to throw Marines out but to make 'em act like Marines. You'll never convince me there's no place for 3rd class. Some people won't get in gear til they hit rock bottom; as leaders we try to get 'em in gear before they get there.

I'll never forget how ashamed I was when one of my Marines got put on BCP-you'd best believe he made weight and tape posthaste. I had always considered the BCP to be the embodiment of leadership failure-and I WAS RIGHT! We don't need drastic measures like that when we have leaders. You got beef with 3rd class, get off yer duff and make it obsolete in your unit.

KILL BODIES

Makes sense. Agree with you Sgt.

I guess I'm just bitter because we had some fat bodies in MOS school that didn't care.

I won't get started with my AF friends. That's an entire other level of disgusting.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    Makes sense. Agree with you Sgt.

I guess I'm just bitter because we had some fat bodies in MOS school that didn't care.

I won't get started with my AF friends. That's an entire other level of disgusting.
    Hear that. ha. I grew up in an AF town and I know they have their professionals but damn if they aren't few and far between sometimes. Who knows? Maybe the only AF hackers are former Marines..

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    advice well taken Sgt.

You got my point though that other than personal decorations (which I know a CAR is) and unit citations just about everything every Marine gets doesn't mean a whole lot other than that you were in the Corps during a certain period of time for a certain amount of time.

I also appreciate the support considering I am a reservist. I work my a$$ off to be the Marine that I am and to also be a full time student

Again, no disrespect was meant

Credits
    Savings
    It's all good, brother-I've got way thicker skin than that.

Having said that, I don't quite agree with you.
    Everything a Marine receives means something and don't ever let someone take that from you. Nothing should be taken for granted-

"firewatch ribbon" means you had the sack to do something 99% of your peers didn't.
    GWOT for AD means you made it PAST bootcamp-many don't.
    "good cookie" means you put the mission above yourself for 3 years. you think it's automatic-wait and see how many can't do that

"just a lance"-horsehockey. I've seen Marines with landing gear or less on their collar do amazing things in bad places. I always tell my Marines not to shrug off their promotion to "E-3". Nobody throws on chevrons and a bloodstripe and becomes an NCO-everything you learn up to that point dictates the leader of Marines that you will become.

So you see, nothing is given in my Corps-not on my watch, and Marines should take immense pride in every achievement, whether or not you can wear it on your uniform. Stripes, medals, ribbons, CerComs, LoA's, pats on the back, or the satisfaction of watching your Marines achieve their potential and accomplish the mission. In my book, all hold equal weight...

S/F

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    well said and point well taken again Sgt.

Credits
    Savings
    You don't have to agree with me, at least not online...

At any rate, I hope that helps. If so, file it away and use it one day. You'll know when the time is right.

If not, just file it away with all the dumb sht your leadership sometimes says and make sure you don't use it.

Semper Fi

I agree with you PiB. And I'm not fishing for a date, either.

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I agree with you PiB. And I'm not fishing for a date, either.

LOL.
    At least you might get a free beer out of principle

Armed Forces Reserve Medal is awarded for being in the reserves for 10 years or if called up for active duty service (i.e deployment) then the 10 year time period is waived and it is awarded with the bronze "M" device... I have one.

Check Out -http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/navawards/blmarinereservemedal.htm

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    sanramdave

You have been a member here since 12/2006, how about filling out your profile as per site rules...

Thread Information