Ways to Dramatically Improve your IST Scores
Create Post
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Ways to Dramatically Improve your IST Scores

I keep seeing all these posts about guys that are trying hard with no improvement. This is my quick guide that worked for me.

My first IST went as followed:

Run: 12:48
    Sit ups: 51
    Pull ups: 3

I am now at (approximetly three months later):

Run: 10:59
    Sit ups: 100
    Pull ups: 13

To improve on your running, you have to run more then 1.5 miles. If you run two or three the one and a half is easy. To say run everyday is kind of a stretch with a lot of peoples schedules so Ill say as often as possible. To improve endurance alternate between jogging and sprinting. Lastly find something to motavate you or get your mind off running. I downloaded cadences to my phone to listen to.

Sit ups are simple. Do as many sets as possible till failure. They are the easiest to improve on and are an easy one hundred points on the PFT.

Pull ups. What worked for me was putting a pull up bar above my bedroom door and everytime I pass thu it I max out. Also alternate the way you do the pull ups. Ex: Hands in/ Hands out. Pull your self up and move yourself side to side. Any wierd s*** you can think of.

Hope this helps. It has definetly helped me

So to improve running, situps and pullups you just do a lot of running, situps and pullups?

Quote Originally Posted by jburke1983 View Post
    So to improve running, situps and pullups you just do a lot of running, situps and pullups?
    There is a legitimate technique called "greasing the groove", which simply put, just means to do what you want to improve on more often and you will improve. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of people take over-training into consideration when doing this. So, the key to it is, yes, do it more often but when you're not seeing positive results, you're overdoing it.

What I can recommend, since I'm actually working really hard to improve my IST at the moment, is running with someone or a group that is faster than you. As for the flexed-arm hang for females, I couldn't do the minimum twelve seconds required for it just a couple months ago, but then I started doing more upper body exercises like bench press, curls, pullovers, upright rows, and negatives. Now I can get away with 24-30 seconds on the bar.

I still have a long way to go, but with the help of a lot of poolees (and quite a few Marines) on this site and help from my recruiter and the poolees in my DEP pool, I will get to where I need to be before I ship to Parris Island in just three months.

Quote Originally Posted by jburke1983 View Post

Yes. Its worked for me and all the guys in my poolee group. If your maxing out on everything everyday then you should improve, unless you are unmotevated and half ass it. And no need to be a friggen smart ass by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by BassPro0007 View Post
    And no need to be a friggen smart ass by the way.
    Wow, chill out... and fill out your profile there, buddy.

Filled it out. And Im deffinetly not trying to start anything I just dont appreciate people downing my information. No hard feelings tho.

We're cool. Honestly the only reason I brought up the profile thing was because I couldn't think of anything better to say.

Sorry to dissapoint you, the802.

I use a goldsgym 20lb. weight vest, they have them at Wal-mart for like $20. I got it when I was in high school. I use it running.. I run my 3 mile 3 times a week with it on. And on the days I don't do 3 miles I run 1.5 without the vest.

I do my pull-ups with it on, I do 35 in as few sets as I can, and then i max without the vest.

When i do my crunches, I use a 10lb. dumbbell. I do 100 reps with it in as few sets as I can, then I max without it. I also do push-ups with the vest on. I do these workouts mon.-fri. And rest on the weekends, you muscles need that break to heal.

My IST (as of last months function)
    PUll-22
    CRUNCH-115
    RUN 1.5- 9.00 FLAT

I do all of that stuff before dinner. I usually do my normal weight lifting at 4am. I work from 6am-5pm.
    I try to go on ruck hikes on fridays, I have fridays off work. I use my vest and a 25lb. weight in a duffle bag. I live in Idaho ( Rocky Mountain Range), Lots of moutains and trails. So find some hills/mountains. I thought I would add that! It helps! That is everthing I do..
    Good luck man! Let me know if any of this helps you.

The "grease the grove" technique mentioned above is the best route to go. Other things help, but no where nearly as fast as they will if you do only that. There is a post on increasing pull ups by the "Drillinstructor" on this site. Look for it, it will not only increase your pulls but your crunches as well. As for running, RUN! My LCDR Larry Parker, from my high school days used to tell us "IF YOU WANT A FASTER MILE AND A HALF, DO THREE! IF YOU WANT A FASTER THREE DO SIX!" Trust me it works. If you cannot get to three miles yet. Gradually work your way up. Add about a quarter to a half mile per week. Wear an good name brand running shoe. I know it sounds stupid but they are built for running. Walmart jockeys do not cut it. You are hurting yourself in the long run.

The "grease the grove" technique mentioned above is the best route to go. Other things help, but no where nearly as fast as they will if you do only that. There is a post on increasing pull ups by the "Drillinstructor" on this site. Look for it, it will not only increase your pulls but your crunches as well. As for running, RUN! My LCDR Larry Parker, from my high school days used to tell us "IF YOU WANT A FASTER MILE AND A HALF, DO THREE! IF YOU WANT A FASTER THREE DO SIX!" Trust me it works. If you cannot get to three miles yet. Gradually work your way up. Add about a quarter to a half mile per week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellinheim View Post
    Wear an good name brand running shoe. I know it sounds stupid but they are built for running. Walmart jockeys do not cut it. You are hurting yourself in the long run.
    Im about to start training in boots!! lol Gotta get used to it eventually I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BassPro0007 View Post
    The "grease the grove" technique mentioned above is the best route to go. Other things help, but no where nearly as fast as they will if you do only that. There is a post on increasing pull ups by the "Drillinstructor" on this site. Look for it, it will not only increase your pulls but your crunches as well. As for running, RUN! My LCDR Larry Parker, from my high school days used to tell us "IF YOU WANT A FASTER MILE AND A HALF, DO THREE! IF YOU WANT A FASTER THREE DO SIX!" Trust me it works. If you cannot get to three miles yet. Gradually work your way up. Add about a quarter to a half mile per week.

Im about to start training in boots!! lol Gotta get used to it eventually I guess.
    Stick to good running shows, the boot you get in recruit training are different (unless you get those types of boots haha). I might be wrong though but you dont want to risk it

Quote Originally Posted by Steve018 View Post
    Stick to good running shows, the boot you get in recruit training are different (unless you get those types of boots haha). I might be wrong though but you dont want to risk it
    You wont be doing any PFT run in boots. Stick to running in running shoes, if you go on hikes or something, you can use the boots for that.

Yeah your right, but you do CFT in boots and full gear. I've got supportive boots and they are heavy which gets my legs stronger.

Thread Information