Get copies of your C&P notes
Create Post

Get copies of your C&P notes

I took my C&P exam a few days ago for ischenic heart disease. The physician mainly verified information and got additional background however I was concerned because of 2 issues (1) the physician kept leaving the room and getting distracted by calls, and (2) English wasn't their first language and I had difficulty sometimes understanding and being understood when I would make a reply.
    I went to see my VSO who suggested that I wait several days and then go to the medical records department to request a copy of the examiner's notes. I was able to get those right away and review them and found several comments made by the physician that were the direct opposite of what I had said, specifically
    -when I was asked if I could "lift 30 lbs" I said yes, but I couldn't carry that weight while walking without getting pronounced angina symptoms. I was also asked , "can I walk up a flight of stairs" and I answered that I could walk up 1 flight but that pretty much exhausted me".

The physicians notes stated that
    - no problems carrying 30 lbs
    - no problems walking stairs

Finally, the physician asked what my occupation was and I explained that after 43 years I had lost my job and was looking. The last 7 yrs I had had to find a desk job because I could no longer do my old occupation. I mentioned that I was having great difficulty finding a job now that I could do now because I had no degree or certifications and many of the jobs being listed had s physical requirements that I could no longer do.

The physician noted in the C&P exam notes, "No occupational problems"

Everything concerning my medical exams and tests was correct but it bothered me that they wouldn't be asking these questions at the exam if the weren't a factor. I'm in the process of trying to get this corrected right now but if I hadn't asked for a copy of the C&P exam notes from the records section I probably would never had known about the descrepancies.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

I wouldn't be too concern about it. First, congress has yet to pass he Bill for this problem as service connected to AO ruling. Next, you always have appeals. My examiner told me I didn't have to prove anything which caught me off guard a bit. I told him if he ad my file which he had all 5 files of mine on his desk that he would notice I didn't need to prove anything all the information he needed was in those files pointing to his desk.

My exam only taken about 20 minuets but he told me I should have no problem getting connected. I thought that statement was more odd than the full exam. Anyways, that was moths ago again, it has yet to go through Congress yet could be another year or two. In my opinion, Congress wont deal with this issue until Obama is out of office.

Sigh.

Quite frankly, I think someone should have 'prepped' you prior to going to the VA. My VSO is GREAT and has been a wonderful help. Now, granted, my claim is still pending (big surprise) but he also told me to expect this and to be patient.

I think the problem most, if not ALL of us have, is the fact that we have a 'suck it up' and 'Pain don't hurt' mentality drilled into us from 'day one', and when it comes time for US to get what we deserve, and rate, we minimize our own issues, or downplay them.

In your case, I would have, had it been me, stated "Nope, can't walk a flight of stairs without issues" and "Nope, can't lift 30 pounds either".

Because, in the medical speak of today, you CAN'T do those things. Not really. But because you said you could...but.... The doctor, who gets paid the same no matter what rating YOU get, just went with your "Yes" answers.

Thread Information