Saluting folded flag?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saluting folded flag?

Hi yall, got a somewhat stupid question to ask.

When you're outside in uniform, and a folded national ensign is carried by you, do you salute? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone.

According to Marine Corps Order P10520.3b, nothing is said at all about saluting a folded ensign, but I understand that doesn't mean you don't do it. Saluting the flag at other times is a simple and straightforward affair, but I can't get a definitive answer for this one. Thanks for any and all help,
    - Rich

Not if its encased.

10th General Order-
    To salute all officers, and all colors and standards not cased.

General Orders apply when on post. In this situation, you're not on post. It is not cased, but folded. Thanks for the quick responses though.
    - Rich

When in doubt, salute. When in doubt, If it moves, salute it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    When in doubt, salute. When in doubt, If it moves, salute it.
    Word up Gunny.

When in doubt, if it moves again, shoot it again.

My purspose, however, is to remove the doubt altogether, so as to be able to provide the right answers to my junior Marines when I pick up.
    - Rich

KillKittens you need to beef up your PROFILE...

Word up, Gunny -- LOL

When in doubt whip it out.

If you are so worried about finding the order then look it up yourself. You didn't expect Marines in here to be quoting MCOs verbatim, did you?

Credits
    Savings
    Still researching, however the best difinition of a "cased" standard is:

Cased colors or standards are those which are furled and enclosed in a protective covering.

Although a flag may be folded, by the above definition it is uncased and rates the salute ( or the POA if out of uniform ) when is passes you or you pass it, 6 paces before, 6 paces after. I might also infer that a folded flag in a shadow box is cased, but....

As the Gunny stated, when in doubt SALUTE.

If I find more, I'll post it.

SFi
    C

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do what THE GUNNY says Salute Old Glory what'ev the case may be

KillKittens your name is wrong, it should be Babies. I'm also guilty of making the same mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by KillKittens View Post
    General Orders apply when on post. In this situation, you're not on post. It is not cased, but folded. Thanks for the quick responses though.
    - Rich

"When on post"...... You a Marine or in another branch?

If you are a Marine, where would you be off base and in uniform?

However..... If you are in uniform and covered......salute.

Just because the order doesn't say anything about it being folded doesn't matter. The order doesn't say anything about it not being folded on the flag pole does it? Yet you still salute it then.

Think it out people! You salute the flag as it is raised and lowered. You do not salute it every time you pass the flag pole. You salute the colors as they pass during a parade, you do not salute the flag sewn on uniform sleeves. Rendering the salute depends on the circumstances. A folded flag, for all intents and purposes is the same as a cased one. When the colors are lowered they are saluted, and then folded - you don't salute the detail carrying the secured flag. At a military funeral, the flag is removed from the casket and folded for presentation to the family - the family receives a salute honoring the service of the family member and their loss. But that flag is not saluted. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my library I might even have the correct reference, but can't find it at the moment. This is a good on-line one for general purposes:
    http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

ONTOS66 your profile needs some spit-shining.

Quote Originally Posted by ONTOS66 View Post
    When the colors are lowered they are saluted, and then folded - you don't salute the detail carrying the secured flag.
    Actually, in that situation, if for some reason I was walking by the detail, I WOULD salute the flag they are carrying.

At a military funeral, the flag is removed from the casket and folded for presentation to the family - the family receives a salute honoring the service of the family member and their loss. But that flag is not saluted.
    The flag is definately saluted in this situation. Everyone in the rifle detail get's "Present Arms" when the flag is raised off the casket. The flag is folded, and the senior Marine present salutes it before passing it off to the family.

Thread Information