French Fourregere
Create Post

French Fourregere

Ok, I have a French Fourregere on my Alphas since I was in 3/6. I am pretty proud of that. I still have it on my Alphas because that is the unit I was in when I got out, and I am not taking it off. Of course I haven't worn my Alphas since then either, but that is irrelevant to this question.

A friend of mine says his son was just awarded the honor of wearing a French Fourregere, but this Marine is in 3/9.

How is that possible?

I know that 3/9 was reactivated in May 2008 by the 2nd Marines, 2nd MarDiv. but they are still 9th Marines, not 5th, not 6th. How can a guy in the 9th rate a French fourregere?

I didn't think they were given out individually anymore... Well, not since WWI anyways.

Any ideas?

Is 3/9 attached to the 5th or 6th Marines now?

Would that be enough to rate wearing the French Fourregere?

He shouldn't by all rights. Even if 'attached' to the 5th or 6th Marines, if it's a separate unit he shouldn't, I would think, be wearing it.

They aren't given out as individual awards anymore (and never were, the CdG as a 'rope' is a unit award).

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I was in 5th Marines 2/9 was the 4th battalion in our regiment. They did indeed wear the fourregere. Now that 9th Marines is being consolidated and rebuilt as their own regiment I seriously doubt there is any association with the 5th or the 6th. It is possible I suppose that they are augmenting the 6th but it is my understanding that the 9th is being stood up as a stand alone regiment.

I call bologna on this one.

HAS THINGS CHANGED IN 20 YRS? THE ONLY REGIMENT THAT WAS AUTHORIZED AS FAR AS I KNEW WAS THE 6th MARINES. BUT MAYBE I MISSED SOMETHING

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Doc H .... it has been the 5th and the 6th since WWI

Thank You

I was with 2/6 for a year, work-ups and deployment, never wore that thing, never told to, didn't care to. My 2 cents. The less mess I had to worry about on my uniform the happier I was

I was in 3/6 1953-1955. The French Fourregere was issued as part of out 782 gear by Battalion. At that time the only ones who could wear the Fourregere was 5th and 6th Regiments. I understand that if you served three different times or more in the regiment you would permantly rate it. I may be wrong on that, but it is what I heard.

$20 for one of those and I've broken I don't even know how many.

I've talked to people who were attached to 6th...they could wear it as augments as long as they were attached. But when they got their detachment orders they no longer rated...according to some guy I talked to in line at the 7-day store anyway.

I served with 1/6 in '59 & '60. It is my understanding that you could wear it only as long as you were assigned to the the 5th or 6th Regiments. Once you left the outfit, you no longer rated to wear it.

Hang it up with your other souvenirs in a shadow box.

MCO 1650.19J

French Fourragere

(1) The French Ministry of War awarded the Fourragere to those units cited two or more times in the French Orders of the Army during World War I. The Fourragere became a part of the uniform of the unit recognized.

(2) The 5th and 6th Marine Regiments have been so cited and all personnel are authorized to wear the Fourragere while serving in these units.

(3) There are no active duty Marines authorized to wear the Fourragere
    permanently.

(4) The Commanders of the 5th and 6th Marine Regiments are authorized
    to issue the Fourragere.

We always called it a pogy rope.

Thread Information