minor complaint about arrival at boot camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

minor complaint about arrival at boot camp

I'm not sure where else this can go, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

A couple of days ago I saw a Marine Corps recruit video on netflix, and one of the things I noticed was shortly after arrival at bootcamp, the recruits had to call their family and give them a scripted message stating that they made it ok, "don't send me anything", etc.

The only problem with this is I don't actually like the members of my immediate family, at all, so I don't even care how worried they may be. Is it necessary that I call them upon arrival?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nobawdy View Post
    I'm not sure where else this can go, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

A couple of days ago I saw a Marine Corps recruit video on netflix, and one of the things I noticed was shortly after arrival at bootcamp, the recruits had to call their family and give them a scripted message stating that they made it ok, "don't send me anything", etc.

The only problem with this is I don't actually like the members of my immediate family, at all, so I don't even care how worried they may be. Is it necessary that I call them upon arrival?
    you may get lucky like myself and not get a phone call at all

Credits
    Savings
    were you at san diego or parris island?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    San Diego....a bunch of other recruits in my receiving platoon got theirs but a handful of us never did. I also never received any of my mail until 3rd phase. But guess what, I made it out alive and as a Marine.

you wont have a choice. Not like you can say.."but Sir this recruit doesnt want a phone call." All Im saying is that they dont check if someone is on the other line. Or enjoy your phone call and call a random number.

I couldn't get ahold of my mom during that phone call. I remember panicing and I called my best friend. She answered an during the whole little schpeel she was telling me how she is proud etc. It doesn't have to be a family member but you are gonna want that call. It's 30 sec but its soooo worth it.

I don't get a phone call when I arrived at MCRD SD, but then again I didn't really care.

Credits
    Savings
    If you have complaints now then I'm sure you'll be really ticked off once you get there.

lol i called my gf at the time as i couldnt reach my parents. I however arrived with 4 others and was not given the scripted message

No, you're unique, and even though everyone else in your platoon has to do something, you don't!

Honestly, I'm sure you could get away with pretending to call someone.

Quote Originally Posted by ritter View Post
    I don't get a phone call when I arrived at MCRD SD, but then again I didn't really care.
    I made a call to my mom, but.... I didn't really care if I did or didn't, I just wanted to **** some **** up

You can call whoever you want. You can call a pizza hut if you want. They're not going to care too much.

You will have to list someone as your next of kin during the enlistment process, though. It may cause you a bit of a headache since they try to demand that it has to be someone related by blood or a spouse but it's a load of bull. Under next of kin "Other (OT)" is an option. As long as you have at least one acquaintance just list that person and give them a call when you get there.

Whether you like them or not, show some maturity and respect and just make the call. It's only 30 seconds and it's just a matter-of-fact non-emotional kind of call. When you look back on it, you'll be glad you did.

Make the call, get it done and over with, then focus on graduating. One lousy 30 second phone call won't kill you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Whether you like them or not, show some maturity and respect
    i'm not sure how "maturity" and "respect" have anything to do with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Make the call, get it done and over with, then focus on graduating. One lousy 30 second phone call won't kill you.
    I would appreciate if if you wouldn't make your opinion on what I should do and just answer the question, if you can answer it. But I think I got good enough answers from the others.

Thread Information