For those with history of inhaler use
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs down For those with history of inhaler use

In 2008 it wasn't an issue.

In 2010, currently for this FY, and next FY, until standards change.

Anyone with any kind of history with use of an inhaler, regardless of what age it had taken place beyond the age of 13, is automatic Medical Disqualification for the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force. Recruiters are not even authorized to make a waiver for it.

As explained to me, by more than 19 Recruiters. from all four, including National Guard components, Department of Defense doesn't want any kind of history with inhalers for new applicants into military service. DoD overides Department of the Navy, Department of the Army, and Department of the Air Force.

They can't even submit a waiver on it. Regardless of the reason now. A development I just learned yesterday. On the SF 80, (for younger gents) and the DD-1966. There is a box in the medical screening page. It asks "Have you ever had, or have" and the check box says "Asthma, Weezing, or Inhaler Use"

If that box applies to you, according to multiple recruiters from each branch, it's automatic disqualification. No if ands, or butts. You're F***ed, regardless of how long you've dreamed of joining the ranks of any branch.

Better to find out sooner, than later. At age 11, I used an inhaler to treat a pain in my lungs. not even 2 weeks went by with it.

At age 16, I used an inhaler to dry up mucous/fluid in my lungs. (form of pneumonia)

2008, when I previously processed for the Army National Guard, it wasn't an issue at all, didn't even need a waiver for it.

Now, in 2010, it's automatic medical disqualification regardless of why you used it, regardless of medical diagnosis, and regardless of how long ago it was, and regardless of how you are now.

According to each Recruiter, it's Department of Defense policy, not any one specific military department. Meaning the "under branches" of the DoD have no say in the matter. Recruiters aren't authorized to make waivers for the use of an inhaler, regardless of the reason. It's no different than suffering from brain cancer as far as the military is concerned as one Recruiter had told me.

Good luck gents, just thought I'd save you the time.

If any Marines learn of any new standards concerning this, I would appreciate the update. I honestly would.

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs down

Looking into the Coast Guard now since it falls under the Department of Homeland Security. Going to say if they have the same policy, and/if/or I can get a waiver through them.

Any Marines learn of any change of standard concerning inhaler usage, it would be sincerely appreciated to know any updates.

Credits
    Savings

Jake242

Jake242, I can't reply to your thread, but I sent you a profile message.

I've never been diagnosed with asthma. That wasn't the issue at all, the issue was the sole fact I had an inhaler prescribed to me in general. Regardless if I used it or not. (which at the time I did)

First was a steroid/pain med mixture to repair my lungs. From what? No clue, doc had no clue. Just my lungs were hurting, and all signs pointed towards an injury of some kind, doc suspected some form of chemical inhalent, of which, since the two weeks I had used that inhaler, lungs are totally fine.

Second one, totally different medication. It was an inhaler designed to dry up the fluid/mucus that developed in my lungs from a form of pneumonia as a result of a bad cold.

Niether of which had anything to do with any form of asthma.

Exact wording of the box "Asthma, weezing, or inhaler use". I've looked into the PFT, according to almost all of the Recruiters I had asked, it wont do any good. Because my medical diagnoses during the two incidents I had used an inhaler had nothing to do with asthma.

So the shear fact I had an inhaler prescribed to me past the age of 13, and the fact I've had more than one prescription throughout my entire life.

Myself, and anyone else in my situation, are automatically DQed. One Recruiter, had told me I would have a better chance joining as an amputee.

Currently waiting to see what the Coast Guard says, which they'll be getting my application in a couple of days. I'll see how things go there.

And there you have it. Good intel on this.

Credits
    Savings
    Sergeant, I personally wish it wasn't good intel. No offense.

Back in 2008, and even back in 2009 when I was back at Job Corps, Recruiters didn't even think twice when I had told them, let alone even made comments on it, and always told me it's nothing at all to worry about since it was never asthma.

But now, it's strictly towards inhaler use in general. Even if it has nothing at all, in any way to do with asthma. Is a disqualifer.

If I have to wait for military standards to decrease again in order to start processing, it's what I'll do. I'm still waiting to see how the Coast Guard feels on the issue. Personally keeping my hopes up.

But yeah, any wannabes looking to Enlisting, if you've ever had an inhaler perscribed to you, in your name, whether if you used it or not. (because it's documented it was yours, but not documented whether or not you use/used it, so by law, it's automatically assumed you used it, as four different recruiters told me) Currently, in todays Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force, you're automatically disqualified until the standards change.

National Guard, Air Force, and Navy aren't even authorized med waivers in any form at all anymore by current standards. Marine Corps, unless it was a broken bone now healed, or some kind of cold, you ain't gonna get a med waiver at all.

Army, they can't do it simply because it was an inhaler. I may as well have snorted coke and jacked myself up on heroine as a Recruiter put it, she can't do anything for me.

Just letting you all know, so you don't get crushed at your first appointment.

Credits
    Savings

Coast Guard Accepts!!!!! Xd

JUST LOOKED INTO MY E-MAIL!!!!!!

Garret,
    As long as you were never diagnosed with "asthma" after age 13 you should be fine. Unfortunately I cannot say for certain because it is up to the DR. at MEPS (the place you take the physical). After you send me the application we will set up an appointment time to fill out some paperwork, that is when you should bring the medical records regarding both instances. I will then send them down to the DR. at MEPS and he will make the final decision.

COAST GUARD I MAY BE GOOD TO GO!!!!!!!!

For what it is worth dept:

I had a soccer player I coached for many years. Not the most skilled but a hard worker and she could run all day. But she also had a history of using an inhaler.....as did about 2/3 of my team at some point.

AF Academy wanted her in a big way. Everything was a go until she mentioned some female problem. That led to a review of her medical records. There buried long ago was the RX for an inhaler and the "possibility" of asthma.

This was a girl that could go for a full 90 mins on the pitch.

Back and forth they went. Then they did that advanced DX test on her. She just barely (I was told) scored above what she should have. DQ'd.

She graduated from a nice state school. AFA was never an option.

Another soccer player I know was courted by the USNA. He also had been RX with an inhaler as a real youngster. He and his dad payed a visit to the doctor. They made sure a notation of some sorts was placed in his chart that he had never had asthma.

He also never mentioned this in his application since he did not see that he had anything to admit to. (they ask about asthma not inhaler use)

He is a USNA Grad today.

YMMV.

My daughter has a youngen, (now 3 years old) who also had some lung issues.....normal kid stuff....an inhaler was RX for her.

We talked and she made sure that the Dr put nothing into the childs medical records that looked like asthma.

Who knows the kid may want to report in for I-Day some years down the road like her uncle did.

Credits
    Savings
    My medical records state specifically no Rx had anything to dow ith any form of asthma.

However, by law, I have to mention it to a Recruiter now. Because the question has been changed, it's no longer related to just asthma, it's an inhaler just in general.

Two Recruiters would be willing to attempt it, however, if found out (especially at MEPS) when my Med Records go to MEPS, their careers will be over. If It's found out at BMT, or MCRD, I get a dishonorable discharge and criminal charges brought on me.

Military Regs aren't just on asthma, it's whether throughout your entire life if you've ever had an Rx Inhaler. Doesn't matter if it was asthma, or just fluid in the lungs. Either case, if I didn't admit to the fact I've had an inhaler Rx in my name past the age of 13, I'll be lying on my Enlistment.

Honor, Courage, and Commitment. Those are the values of the United States Marine Corps, and the United States Navy. Instead of courage I'd be choosing cowardess, by not owning up to my past. Regardless of what it was. And Honor would be meaningless, because my integrity would be compramised. Army value wise, I'd violate Duty, Respect, Integrity, and Honor. Violate Duty, because my first Duty to the Armed Services is to disclose my medical history, as requested on the Enlistment packet. I would be a direct violation of Respect, because I'd rather lie to a service, rather than own up. Let alone disregard any self respect I have. Violate Integrity, specifically, because I'd be lieing, and Violate Honor, because of failing to follow duty, lying, no sense of respect, and disregarding my own integrity.

And then the chances of it being found out after my medical records were to be released, any MD, let alone any Medical Professional who knows how to read a Chart, let alone a Kardax can plainly read I've had an Rx in the past for an inhaler.

In this battle, it's not worth the cost. Your friend is lucky to be a USNA Graduate. Not many Officers in the Navy have had such an honor. However, there is a chance his past can come out and bite him in the ass.

If I'm going to Enlist into any component of Service, it will be with a clean slate, so when I EARN the uniform, I can actually bare to look at myself in the mirror.

Lynn, I appreciate the information. I really do.

If the Coast Guard can't take me, (i'll find out once my packet gets to them, I had to mail it) I'll just wait until the standards change, again. Hey, at least it gives me more time to workout right?

"However, there is a chance his past can come out and bite him in the ass."

No chance at all. He may not have offered additional info but he did not lie. Besides he finished AD several years ago.

Nothing I said was a suggestion that you should lie. I may or may not do some lying myself if it were me but I never suggest it for others.

My "memory" is that the Q was about asthma. But if it is now inhaler use . then its pretty hard to say no without lying.

I wonder what the military will be doing in 25 years about this? More and more inhaler use is becoming a real wide spread issue with young kids.

The pool of applicants will continue to shrink and shrink.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    "However, there is a chance his past can come out and bite him in the ass."

No chance at all. He may not have offered additional info but he did not lie. Besides he finished AD several years ago.

Nothing I said was a suggestion that you should lie. I may or may not do some lying myself if it were me but I never suggest it for others.

My "memory" is that the Q was about asthma. But if it is now inhaler use . then its pretty hard to say no without lying.

I wonder what the military will be doing in 25 years about this? More and more inhaler use is becoming a real wide spread issue with young kids.

The pool of applicants will continue to shrink and shrink.
    I sincerely apologize, I had mis-understood what you ment. My apologies.

Issue with modifying the question to inhaler use, well, talking around, asking why some of my buds back from HS haven't Enlisted yet, they are dealing with the same issue I am. (now looking into the Coast Guard like I am)

and them talking to their friends, pool of applicants to Enlist is dropping insanely. A buddy of mine who's now an Army Recruiter (****ed off his First Sergeant because of a prank he pulled, so he's now a detailed Recruiter in California), he's lost so far over 50 candidates in the past three weeks alone. 50 individuals he could have put in. He can't, because they all used inhalers like I did for pneumonia, and other medical issues like that once upon a time.

Army as it is is spending less and less time in High School visits because of this very reason. Several Private Schools his station used to visit regularly, almost every month, is now every 4 months, because almost all the kids who sign up for Recruiter visits, are DQed because of some inhaler they used.

That's just the Army. With Marine Corps cutting their Recruiting pool as well, I can't imagine the kind of candidates they must find now.

A Recruiter joked "There's only a matter of time before we DQ fillings, and take in only those with blonde hair and blue eyes" . when I had asked him the same question. Up until recently, I've been a "prime candidate" as several Recruiters have referred to me as, but since change of standards, I'm ****ed.

I hope Obama makes another war, soon. That way the military will need more bodies, and standards drop again. LOL That happens, I'll be the guy waiting in front of the office for it to open.

"I hope Obama makes another war, soon. That way the military will need more bodies, and standards drop again."

You are young and stupid so I will not yell at you. I will though suggest you take a trip to DC and visit the Wall.

And then think of the almost 60,000 moms and dads that have grown old without their son. Likely never having grandkids from that son.

A long brutal sad 40+ years for those poor souls. Day in and day out.

In time you may even grow old yourself and have kids. Your parents will I hope understand how lucky they are.

In the mean time , try not sounding so utterly stupid on a MC forum where so many of us have lost friends or for some been badly hit themselves , in these wars

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco771 View Post

I hope Obama makes another war, soon. That way the military will need more bodies, and standards drop again. LOL That happens, I'll be the guy waiting in front of the office for it to open.
    Really???

" The Marines, Pray for Peace, Train for War "

I guess you haven't heard that before.................

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    To me inhaler use automatically spells hump drop. Good luck with the coast guard.

Credits
    Savings
    My apologies Lynn2 and Rhode Island, didn't quite mean for it to come out like that. (bad choice of words)

Thread Information