Any advice on trying to get back into the Corps after getting out years ago?
Create Post

Any advice on trying to get back into the Corps after getting out years ago?

Hi I am brand new here, first post first day... I didn't know where else to look!

My boyfriend and I talked to a recruiter months ago... he said it's not easy right now they are not really offering anything, I guess they don't need people. My boyfriend really has his heart set on going back... He got out way back in 2003.

The recruiter said he'd get his paperwork started and all this other BS and then just left us hanging. We think the best bet is in October to try again for boat space or something? I do not know I am not familiar with all of it...

Anyways just looking for advice and how likely it is that he would ever be accepted back. The weird thing is I was under the impression he lost rank and might have to choose another MOS... I read elsewhere that if the recruiter says he will lose rank we should go to someone else. Is that true? The weird thing is after he got out of the Marines, he got promoted to SGt....

Anyways just really looking for advice. He's almost 30 now and has been missing it for a long time, but it just hasn't been easy and I've still been scared of deployments (I was really young last time though so I'm pretty sure I'd be able to handle it better now) and going to Japan. haha.

We are just in a bind, we don't know what to do. I tried to look for civilian jobs that would use his military experience... He was SatCom... I didn't have any luck.

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
    Hi I am brand new here, first post first day... I didn't know where else to look!

My boyfriend and I talked to a recruiter months ago... he said it's not easy right now they are not really offering anything, I guess they don't need people. My boyfriend really has his heart set on going back... He got out way back in 2003.

The recruiter said he'd get his paperwork started and all this other BS and then just left us hanging. We think the best bet is in October to try again for boat space or something? I do not know I am not familiar with all of it...

Anyways just looking for advice and how likely it is that he would ever be accepted back. The weird thing is I was under the impression he lost rank and might have to choose another MOS... I read elsewhere that if the recruiter says he will lose rank we should go to someone else. Is that true? The weird thing is after he got out of the Marines, he got promoted to SGt....

Anyways just really looking for advice. He's almost 30 now and has been missing it for a long time, but it just hasn't been easy and I've still been scared of deployments (I was really young last time though so I'm pretty sure I'd be able to handle it better now) and going to Japan. haha.

We are just in a bind, we don't know what to do. I tried to look for civilian jobs that would use his military experience... He was SatCom... I didn't have any luck.

Thanks for any advice.
    Right now the Marine Corps is over strength. It may also be harder for him to get in if he is an E-4+.

I believe this post is in the wrong forum though, and needs to be moved.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MeierT View Post
    Right now the Marine Corps is over strength. It may also be harder for him to get in if he is an E-4+.

I believe this post is in the wrong forum though, and needs to be moved.

Seconded. Maam, we arn't going to want someone who's already served his time and has worn down, when there are young kids enlisting. We are the Few the Proud the Marines. Few will make it. Keep looking for jobs. The recruiter does not sound very interested so it's up to you. But your best choice just start a family and get on with it.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My husband is going through the same thing. He got out in 02 and joined the Army, then when civilian in 05. He missed the Corps so much that he got depressed and gained a lot of weight. Before he could even talk to a recruiter he had to loose 118 lbs. It took him over 1 year but was able to do it.
    From what I understand, he will drop rank. My husband's best friend is a USMC recruiter and told him that would happen but also said that he would probably catch up pretty quick once he was back in. Out of the MOSs that he is hoping for, none of them are closed (that we have been told). He has already been to MEPS for physical but still needs to PFT and for some reason he needs to have his picture taken (supposed to do these next week) before they can send his package to Headquarters. From what they have told him, he should be sworn in within a month or two.
    From what we have noticed, they make it super hard to get back in. I guess they want to make sure you really want it and to make sure you don't get out again.
    Good luck. I'm interested to hear how things go for you guys and where you end up. Keep in touch.

Amanda

Thread Information