When You're Not Motivated
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When You're Not Motivated

Hey fellow Poolees I'm looking for some help staying motivated.

I had PT today and didn't do very well at all and now it's making me second-guess if I can even do it. Right after I went home there was a USMC commercial on and it kind of changed my mind a bit but I'm still feeling low.

What kind of things do you do to stay motivated?

I know what you mean my friend... I lost the motivation for almost anything today... You have to just push through.... think hard and think well once you make the decision your stuck for at least 4-4 years in.

Quote Originally Posted by Enlisted View Post

I had PT today and didn't do very well at all and now it's making me second-guess if I can even do it. Right after I went home there was a USMC commercial on and it kind of changed my mind a bit but I'm still feeling low.

You've got 6 months to improve your physical condition. You can do it. Just keep striving to do better and get higher on your IST scores. Don't worry, you've got this! Keep going! Don't quit!

It always Motivates me to think of getting that Eagle Globe and Anchor at the Emblem ceremony and claiming the title of US Marine. Don't know anything more motivating then that.

I was going to edit this onto my original post, but the edit button expired.

I don't know what motivates you, but what gets me going is reading about recruits at boot camp. You read about their struggles, but you also read about them conquering their fears and excelling. They graduate with their EGA in hand, bursting with confidence and ready to take on the world. That is definitely motivating me to succeed and do what they've done.

If you're interested, here are some things to read and watch:

http://www.kevinwebb22.com/ <---Blog--- A day to day account of Kevin Webb's experiences in boot camp at Parris Island, SC.

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=5ZAK8YEY <---Movie--- Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click. A platoon's journey through MCRD SD.

http://www.devildogdiary.com/ <---Book--- A day to day account of GYSGT William Price's experiences in boot camp at Parris Island, SC.

All are very motivating and very enjoyable to read and watch. Enjoy!

I always watch USMC commercials / videos on youtube.

And if you didn't do well with PT, don't let that get you down no matter what. I've sucked during PT before too, almost everyone has. The point of the DEP is to prepare yourself for boot camp. Use your recruiters to help you reach whatever goals you set for yourself. Just put in the work and PT every day (I do pull ups / crunches one day, and then the next i run, then after i do pull ups / crunches and so on) and you'll get better.

If you don't do well at PT, I would just self motivate myself to do better. It depends how bad you want it and if you really do your going to go through alot of hard times. Read inspirational stories and stuff and strive to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mledford View Post
    You've got 6 months to improve your physical condition. You can do it. Just keep striving to do better and get higher on your IST scores. Don't worry, you've got this! Keep going! Don't quit!
    it isnt time.... its the motivation.... I have reason to not be. and I have way less than 6 months before I ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hummel View Post
    It always Motivates me to think of getting that Eagle Globe and Anchor at the Emblem ceremony and claiming the title of US Marine. Don't know anything more motivating then that.
    losing your place to stay until you ship... losing your fiance.... try me ill tell you whats motivating.... the EGA is motivating but my girl gave me the motivation day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogsSon269 View Post
    losing your place to stay until you ship... losing your fiance.... try me ill tell you whats motivating.... the EGA is motivating but my girl gave me the motivation day to day.
    Give up on her. I know it's easier said than done, but If she doesn't love you enough to let you pursue your own dreams then she's not good enough for you. If she wants you bad enough, then she's going to come back. Push your recruiter to try and get you a sooner ship date if possible. In the mean time, don't stop working out because you're all depressed. Suck it up and drive on. Good luck.

Just remember, Rome wasnt built in a day, getting stronger both physcially and mentally takes time and most of all effort from you.

I'll tell you the truth, what motivates me is my family, simply for the fact that I would be honoring them, and advancing both my career & State of well being by earning the title United States Marine.

But if you haven't already, check out a few videos on youtube pertaining to a MCRD Graduation Ceremony.

I'll be honest, nothing is more motivating than watching a group of New Marines graduate, the idea of marching on my own graduation and wearing those blues, it makes me want to put out even harder each time we PT.

Also, think of the saying "If it was easy, then everyone would be a Marine", just get into that mindset that this is your baptism by fire, your opportunity for greatness, and you give it your 110% effort, and I promise you will not regret being a USMC Poolee.

I dont regret it, and I cannot wait for my ship date so I can honor my family, and my recruiting office in NY and here in Lancaster,CA by earning the Title.

Hope this helped.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummel View Post
    Thas is exactly what I think about when I'm dead tired and don't want to keep going, and it makes me invincible!

Reward yourself if you reach a goal of yours, say you improve your pull ups by 5, go and take a swim or something (something that is fun but also benefits you in some way physically... who doesn't like swimming?!).

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The most motivating thing for me to go back to pt every other day is the prospect that I'm bettering myself. When my recruiter is working us poolees out I'm always thinking "this is for ME." Try it.

Whenever I don't feel motivated I go on youtube and look at some of the videos. One of our Recruiters always talks to us at the poole functions and always has the greatest speeches, always pumps everyone up. He should be a motivational speaker when he retires.

Thread Information