Keeping a low profile and Marine Corps Orders - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CQB0316 View Post
    Not everyone likes Marines, especially in cities that have a large Marine presence.
    When I was a newby in the Corps I witnessed a dude trying to impress a waitress at the Jacksonville junior E-Club (IE Hooters) with the knowledge he was a sniper. After seeing that epic fail, my buddy and I would impress chicks by saying we were civilians who worked at Hot Topic or Block Buster...that **** worked great! Since I worked at Blockbuster in high school, I could really sell it.

When I was in Columbus, Ga for Jump, we ran into some pretty intense anti-military folks out in town.

Heck, even Wilmington you have to be careful not to show your military ID at certain bars or they won't let you in.

Thats why when people ask me what I do I say im a firefighter.

Quote Originally Posted by micarr57 View Post
    do they really want you to keep a low profile off base just overseas right not here in conus
    do they really want you to keep a low profileoff base, just overseas right, not right here in conus (continental united states)?
    my first language is english so is my second. been speaking english since before you were born

when i was active duty 1975-1979 we kept a low profile not because of terrorists trying to **** us over but because of americans trying to **** us over. and our treatment was good compared tohow the vietnam veterans were treated.

i didn't join the Corps to be liked by people i joined to defend the United States
    police officers don't wear clothing that id's them as police when off duty
    if you're not proud of your job perhaps you don't need to be one

So I've come to the conclusion that haircuts graduating from 0-3 are about as dumb as boots running around out in town with Marine Corps shirts, hats, shorts, back packs, etc on. Theres a reason off duty Police Officerrs dont walk around with clothing on that identifies them as Police Officers. Some people dont like Police Officers and they realize that. The same goes for the Marine Corps, but apparently we are to naive to realize this. Over the last few years, the Marine Corps has been preaching keeping a low profile such as in the MCI Terrorism Awareness. You would think that somewhere on up the ladder they would realize that all having a motivating haircut does is make you a target. The haircut does not make a Marine a Marine. *end of rant*
    Yep, really lots of old salts on this thread. I imagine if you added up their active duty time it wouldn't surpass 10 years. Amazing how some think that a couple of trips through the chow line make them salty.

Being proud of your job doesnt mean you need to go around advertising who or what you are.

why dont you just do somthing extra ordinary like MARSOC and you get a no shave chit and a no haircut chit. just saying..

when i was active duty 1975-1979 we kept a low profile not because of terrorists trying to **** us over but because of americans trying to **** us over. and our treatment was good compared tohow the vietnam veterans were treated.
    Well I'd have a hard time not calling them terrorists as well.

Coming from the point of view of an ATFP instructor its not so much to do with being ashamed of being a Marine as protecting young men and woman against a transnational enemy and foreign intelligence security services that post up in airports...particularly honeypots.

Its pretty common these days for Marines to prefer a more subtle footprint with their Marine Corps status. These days its often considered brash or arrogant to announce to everyone that one is a Marine. I know this wasn't always the case, and it certainly isn't everyone now, but its not uncommon to find those with that belief. Personally, I never whip out my military ID or wear dress uniform to get discounts or special favors. For me, personally, that cheapens my service in the Corps. I don't care if other people do, I just have to serve the way that makes me feel right...and I don't feel right doing that.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    Coming from the point of view of an ATFP instructor its not so much to do with being ashamed of being a Marine as protecting young men and woman against a transnational enemy and foreign intelligence security services that post up in airports...particularly honeypots.

Its pretty common these days for Marines to prefer a more subtle footprint with their Marine Corps status. These days its often considered brash or arrogant to announce to everyone that one is a Marine. I know this wasn't always the case, and it certainly isn't everyone now, but its not uncommon to find those with that belief. Personally, I never whip out my military ID or wear dress uniform to get discounts or special favors. For me, personally, that cheapens my service in the Corps. I don't care if other people do, I just have to serve the way that makes me feel right...and I don't feel right doing that.

SF
    I think this sums it up pretty well.

A couple of times through the chow hall DOESN'T make anyone salty (experienced), but most people know a logical incongruence when they see it (reference the cartoon above about the wallet in the sock).

It's tough to handle this topic in a way that is mature and respects both sides of the table. On the one hand, it IS laughable sometimes the extremes to which "professionalism" is taken in the hands (and minds) of some super-motivated Marines. On the other, it is undeniable that the maxim "what you allow in moderation, your subordinates will excuse in excess" holds very very true.

The rules (regulations) are formulated as they are to try to allow "Common sense" to rule for the most part. Now we know that some folks take it to the extreme (both ways), but there-in is the difficulty in leadership.

Where do you draw the line so that it is fair?

In the end, the best approach (in my opinion) is as Hussaf seems to be doing: Spread the common-sense approach to the rules and regulations through talking with all levels of Marines and changing minds one Marine at a time. Minimize the use of ridicule (as it only puts people on the defensive) or the labeling of those "moto" Marines as the "old guys" or "careerists". If your aim is to truly change someone's mind, you won't try to alienate them with your approach.

Be polite, be respectful, and have a reason for what you do and why you're doing it. Most Marines I've met will respect that.

Being proud of your job doesnt mean you need to go around advertising who or what you are.
    Marines have been doing just that since 1775 and have seemed to back it up pretty well for all these years. Why would the Marine Corps want to go under cover now?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Marines have been doing just that since 1775 and have seemed to back it up pretty well for all these years. Why would the Marine Corps want to go under cover now?
    And thats exactly why Ive seen more than my fair share of Marines come back to base on Monday with a f*cked up face. Like I said before, not everyone likes the Marine Corps and its not that are to find yourself out numbered by a decent size group of people at a party, bar, etc. Our Company Gunny actually got his sh*t kicked in pretty good about 2 months before we deployed. Why deal with all that crap and the possibility of getting arrested for assault yourself when you can avoid it? Thats just personal safety. I dont even want to get into ATFP.

must be a west coast thing im guessing? I live in Michigan(Ohio) before that and never had an issue with people not liking military. I am not one of those to go around saying "I am Marine this, or I am Marine that" I just act like an adult and am cool with most, they then see my tats and say something positive about the Corps or thanks for your service. I to this day get my mop cut once a week(o fade up to a #1 on top) and maintain my image(for me its a personal thing, I hate long hair) I shave every couple of days. So I have the typical squared away Marine look and am never ashamed or have people jump my shizt.

I think alot of the negative views you may see are from all the turds that go out and try to fight or act hard once they become a Marine. They give all of us a bad name and in some case may warrant you not wanting to "flaunt" being a Marine. Especially in bars or clubs where some see the need to try and break out their weak azz mcmap training(sorry LINE training was more aggressive and lethal than glorified tae kwon do/ju jitsu moves) on civilians.

I guess what I am trying to say is to this day I show the image and handle myself as a professional, people then come up to me and say something about me being a Marine and I say thanks, either way here on the east coast you can not flaunt it or even be extra moto and people respect your service as long as you act responsible S/F

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    I refuse to stop walking when I have to answer my cell phone. **** that. I don't want to look like a Marine (ie, a target) when I'm in an unfamiliar city.

WTF marine! thats only in uniform bro. talk all you want in civis

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Yep, really lots of old salts on this thread. I imagine if you added up their active duty time it wouldn't surpass 10 years. Amazing how some think that a couple of trips through the chow line make them salty.
    And that has WHAT to do with the topic?

why dont you just do somthing extra ordinary like MARSOC and you get a no shave chit and a no haircut chit. just saying..
    Marsoc has better things to worry about then petty bull****. Seen pics of SEALs or ODA teams/Delta in country? Yeah, full beards. While your doing field day, SF teams are still training.

Heck, even Wilmington you have to be careful not to show your military ID at certain bars or they won't let you in.
    THIS

Quote Originally Posted by LandsNGrooves View Post
    WTF marine! thats only in uniform bro. talk all you want in civis
    I know, but I've seen people do it in civvies because they're so used to doing it in uniform. It's hilarious.

edit: and I once had my ass chewed in MCT for doing it in civvies! it was retarded.

Not that I think it makes a lot of sense in uniform, either. I'm walking from one building to another to get something done, someone calls me to give me further instructions for that task...it's a waste of time to stop in the middle of the sidewalk to get said instructions when by the time I've received them I could be at my destination

I'm betting no one outside of the Marine Corps views walking and talking on a cell phone as unprofessional. If they want to tell us not to do it because of safety reasons, I'll buy that. But to say it's because of professionalism just makes it difficult to take seriously.

I've seen a number of senior staff NCOs and officers doing it. I wouldn't give correcting them a second thought, not because of the weight on their collars but because I'm fairly certain that they have **** to do.

Makes me wonder how many time Chesty has rolled over since hearing about this thread.

Thread Information