Keeping a low profile and Marine Corps Orders
Create Post
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Keeping a low profile and Marine Corps Orders

So I've come to the conclusion that haircuts graduating from 0-3 are about as dumb as boots running around out in town with Marine Corps shirts, hats, shorts, back packs, etc on. Theres a reason off duty Police Officerrs dont walk around with clothing on that identifies them as Police Officers. Some people dont like Police Officers and they realize that. The same goes for the Marine Corps, but apparently we are to naive to realize this. Over the last few years, the Marine Corps has been preaching keeping a low profile such as in the MCI Terrorism Awareness. You would think that somewhere on up the ladder they would realize that all having a motivating haircut does is make you a target. The haircut does not make a Marine a Marine. *end of rant*

nothing better than going out on the weekend in j-ville and seeing some boots out in their charlies living it up lol!!

O well brother it will always be that way, you know how it is, out of boot you need to be super motivated and rock the drill instructor mesh pt shirt around, o yeah lol

Uh...just don't get a high and tight? I usually go with a high/med reg. It looks much more "natural" and doesn't scream "I just graduated from bootcamp." Now that said, many Marines still rock the high and tight in the great ranks of the career veterans. There's nothing wrong with that, but 0-3 isn't THAT strict.

I travel for work. A LOT. I shave on drill weekends and get a haircut the day before. That's it. I keep the beard trimmed and clean, though.

I often walk around without a belt and almost never tuck my shirt tails in.

I refuse to stop walking when I have to answer my cell phone. **** that. I don't want to look like a Marine (ie, a target) when I'm in an unfamiliar city. The moto haircut and baby face come on when the uniform does.

3 inches isnt the problem. The 0 is. Even High-Med regs scream your in the Military. Low regs were ok, but they just revised the order saying the hair must be able to be covered by your cover.

Well I'll also admit to "not following that rules" when I'm not drilling. It's just pointless...lol

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    I travel for work. A LOT. I shave on drill weekends and get a haircut the day before. That's it. I keep the beard trimmed and clean, though.

I often walk around without a belt and almost never tuck my shirt tails in.

I refuse to stop walking when I have to answer my cell phone. **** that. I don't want to look like a Marine (ie, a target) when I'm in an unfamiliar city.
    +1. Thats my point. But for us active guys, its not that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by CQB0316 View Post
    +1. Thats my point. But for us active guys, its not that simple.
    Indeed. One of the few reasons I don't mind that my AR contract is still in purgatory.

I ****ing hate shaving every day. For many of us, it's bad for the skin. Gonna be interesting when I scoot over to MCRD tomorrow to hit up the Navy Fed.

edit: I do see your point. Even the active duty ones - hell, especially the active duty Marines - shouldn't be out there looking like Marines in today's potentially hostile society. What ever happened to that ****ing anti-terrorism force protection class we all got?

After MCT, I just zeroed my entire head. It was nice not having hair to get sand, mud, grease, etc. in.

And that not walking and talking on a cell phone thing is fvckin' retarded.

Ive had my head shaved since the day I graduated boot camp. A decent number of Civilians still shave their head, next to none have graduating fades. Basically Ive done it because its easier and it gives me plausible deniability about being a Marine if im ever in a rare situation that I should need it.

Quote Originally Posted by tangovictor87 View Post

And that not walking and talking on a cell phone thing is fvckin' retarded.
    It's one of those rules to make us look "professional" created by some lifer that has spent his entire career in the Marine Corps and doesn't realize that the real world's definition of "professional" is nothing like our definition.

When a civilian sees someone stop to talk on their cell phone they do not think "oh look, how professional!". They think "is that guy a ****ing moron incapable of walking and talking at the same time?" followed closely by "doesn't he have **** to do, why is he wasting time standing there like an idiot?" and when I see that it's followed finally by "oh right...must be one of us..."

It leads right into this:

[img]http://******************/comics/2010-01-12-Strip_3_Looking_Professional_web.jpg[/img]

Whoever came up with that stupid rule has no idea what professional means. I'd bet my next month's salary that Marines who actually support that are the same kind that will go on base every day just to get a sandwich and yell at junior Marines for not having their hair high and tight enough.

Ive bic-ed my head for years. The boots on RA at the local mall (my wife works there) always mistake me for a Drill Instructor when I stop by. Its funny to watch them panic...

do they really want you to keep a low profile off base just overseas right not here in conus

Quote Originally Posted by micarr57 View Post
    do they really want you to keep a low profile off base just overseas right not here in conus
    Not everyone likes Marines, especially in cities that have a large Marine presence.

micarr57, no offense but WTF is your first language?! Lol.

All else,
    I think I just got a boner. I've been an ATFP instructor for five years and I've never heard so many Marines sound so logical. Not the "I want as long hair as I can get away with b/c I'm rebellious" whiny BS, but actual logical thoughts. Good show, mates! (as our British counterparts would say). I've had verbal judo matches with gunnys and master Sgts. that complained about the horseshoe being illegalized in the Corps. Jeezus. Professionalism is the key word here...I think Fatty Used it. In no way is a high and tight a professional looking haircut. It is eccentric. That being said, I've seen some low regs on New River that looked right out comical. The whole pinky worth of shaved and then straight to full on 3 inches with a modicum of fade looks like some homo Friar Tuck type stuff...very alerting and unprofessional. Don't get me started about non-hair related ATFP issues for traveling Marines. The Marine Corps sends me out to travel a lot, to a lot of places both in the US and abroad. Every airport I see ridiculousness...mostly Army, but too many Marines. I love standing in line to check into my flight and overhearing random Soldiers or Marines talking to strangers about how they "don't feel right" being in the States and not hearing rounds whizzing by them and explosions all the time. Jeeeezus. Anyway, I'm heading off to deploy on Wed. and have to fly commercial to get there...can't wait to see what I come across this time!

SF

Thread Information