Mecep Questions
Create Post

Thread: Mecep Questions

Mecep Questions

Concerning the Mecep program, is the time in service requirement of 3 years waiverable? The only thing the MarAdmin says about it is "Waivers of eligibility requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis if provided for by law and not excluded by this bulletin." Immediately following the statement of minimum and maxiumum age, it specifies that age is waiverable. However, for TIS it does not. The reason I ask is because I have a little less than two years TIS and I won't be able to apply for MECEP next year due to the fact that I won't have three years TIS by the time the deadline comes around for the package. I'll have to wait until 2012, which is something I'm trying to avoid.

Now if this is the case, then I'll seriously contemplate going the MCP route. This is also something I'm trying to avoid seeing as only a select few are nominated for this throughout the entire Marine Corps and requires a recommendation letter from the CO.

Also, I am aware of the minimum requirements for MECEP applicants. What I'm trying to find out is what makes an applicant stand out in front of the board. The only things I can come up with are as followed:

1.Completeing Corporal's Course
    2.Voulenteer service at least once a month with LOA's
    3.Commandant reading list (1 book a month+book report)
    4.Redo SAT even though my ASVAB is 77, I'm not happy with it.
    5.Obtain a black belt.
    6.Obtain as many in-college-class credits as possible before the deadline
    7.Study Marine Corps knowledge like its the Bible
    8.Get on Meritorious boards and NCO of the quarter boards

If anyone can add to the list or if anyone can safely say something on the list will not help towards my acceptance on the board I would greatly appreciate it. One more thing, what would you consider the most important and least important on that list.

Again, I know its long so I really appreciate anybody that actually reads this all and provides any input that can help towards my acceptance to MECEP.

If the MARADMIN says its waiverable on a case by case basis you'll have to see where the waiver comes from (probably MCRC) and get it from them. For the MCP program, if you've already got your degree, or are close to it, that would be the best way to go. I'm not saying the MECEP program is bad, it just takes a while and is designed for Marines that don't have much college credit.

Secondly, as for your list some matter, some don't:

1.Completeing Corporal's Course - I didn't and got in.

2.Voulenteer service at least once a month with LOA's - The LOA's will show up on your awards page, so they might help out a bit

3.Commandant reading list (1 book a month+book report) - Wont matter because they wont know about it, unless you put it in your bio, and if you're wasting the limited words on the books you read you probably have a weak bio.

4.Redo SAT even though my ASVAB is 77, I'm not happy with it. - Important if your score sucks.

5.Obtain a black belt. - Shouldn't really matter, only time it would come into play is during TBS when everyone is doing MCMAP and you'll just be helping out (or so I'm told).

6.Obtain as many in-college-class credits as possible before the deadline. - Important

7.Study Marine Corps knowledge like its the Bible - Good to do, but would only come into play with your letters of recommendations.

8.Get on Meritorious boards and NCO of the quarter boards. - Could be important.

Some important stuff is your PFT, your bio, letters of recommendation, and for some reason, being in the top 50% of your high school class.

Once you start actually putting a package together look me up and I'll help you out with it if you want.

Thread Information