Keeping a low profile and Marine Corps Orders - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    I said it before and I'll say it again I am a Marine and Proud of it I will not hide who I am I am an America and a Marine if they want a peace of me so be it they are not getting a cherry and I will take some of they with me.

Good for you, but some of us realize that we can be proud of our association with the Marine Corps without making us targets.

The problem with people who say they'd be the first ones to stand up if something happened is that they're the most likely to do something stupid and get an innocent civilian killed because they want to play john wayne.

Stupid ?

Quote Originally Posted by bgsuwoody View Post
    And the god damn islamist terrorists in Afghan and Iraq don't say look at the guy in the high and tight, but hell if they dont know what the guys in the brown or the tan are. They TRY to kill you because you are damn good (or they run away) not because of your ****ing haircut...jesus christ I hate dumb this is...

Let me guess...
    You want to wear your Dulce and Gabanna Sunglasses too because they "are in regs"
    You want to wear your hat backwards because we would "fit in" in Compton
    You want to wear your hat indoors because you don't understand the history behind the tradition (look it up)
    You dont want to wear a skivvy shirt because "its hot"
    You dont want to wear a belt because you are "open for business"
    You want to wear flip flops because they are "in right now"
    You want to wear all your little patches on your flak because "they aren't target indicators"
    You want to put your hands in your pockets because you have no discipline and you "are cold" Well cry me a river...I shower in that ****

Its the same **** every day...Just do they job or take the NJP or go UA...leave your ID on your rack with your serialized gear and weapons cards and I don't give a **** what you do!
    I just threw up all over my keyboard. You don't honestly believe all that crap?

I have gunny rolls but i'm a sgt, my pants are always bloused at or below my ankles, the last time I changed my chevrons was when I pinned on, I get a haircut once every two weeks and when I do its a Navy reg just to trim my neckhair, I don't wear a belt because my pants actually fit me, I don't wear a skivvie shirt in the summer months because its more comfortable, I wear Gucci (not D&G) sunglasses in cammies, if i'm in civvies and i've got a hat on its staying on when i'm indoors because if I take it off i'll have hat hair since my hair is so long, I wear flip flops BECAUSE ITS THE FRIGGEN SUMMER AND IN THE SUMMER PEOPLE WEAR FLIP FLOPS. Yeah, i'm the guy that motivators develop a tick over when you see me walk into the 7-day store. Oh, and if its cold my hands will be in my pockets. And after all that, i'm a better Marine than most of the 8th&I silent drill wannabe's running around my Corps and i'll run any motivators dick into the dirt and make him beg for Chesty. I still got my good conduct medal. Being a beltfed motivator went out of style when the mooj flew 747's into the world trade center and pentagon. Don't expect a reply. Out.

Wait a minute, you don't wear a belt because your pants actually fit. But, you have gunny rolls OK what are these gunny rolls

Gunny Rolls, i.e. loose sleeves on his blouse. Instead of taking 15 minutes to make them DI moto, he just rolls them very loose, probably around his elbow. Nothing to do with his trousers.

I feel weird without a belt unless I'm wearing shorts

that's just me though...if I'm bumming to the kwik e mart or next door to the bar on saturday morning I may or may not throw on a belt but you won't see me without one if I plan to accomplish anything that day. just a quirk, I guess

I think by gunny rolls he means sleeves rolled so loose and low you could fist **** a 7-ton through them

one thing that gets me is being harassed for wearing a white t-shirt. newsflash: just because a shirt is plain white does NOT mean it's intended for wear as an undergarment, which is what the order refers to. my plain white Ts are way too thick to be undershirts. I have plain white undershirts but I also don't wear those out because I'm a bit of a hairy monkey underneath so it looks really gross. but seriously folks, what's the deal with airline food

Having a 0-3 or military haircut isn't going to make you a better target. Being an American is what makes you a target. Generally speaking a hard target is avoided by the badguys. Becoming a hard target consists of keeping situational awareness. A military haircut plus constant S/A is the best way to not become a target. Having a military haircut and beebopping down the road and getting drunk with no S/A is an open invitation to getting hit.

There are places all over the world where you are a target because you're white or black or asian, or just about any other personal description.

I recall the Africare director to CAR, she went on about how she was intouch with 'her people' because she was an African American. I ran a vulnerability assessment on her residence, she didn't listen to a single recommendation that I gave her. About 8 months into her tour, a working party showed up and took everthing that she owned; furniture, clothes, dishes.....luckily for her they did not harm her. The Gendarme investigated and determined that the thieves where from Zaire and that they transported all of her belongings across the river to Zaire.....of course this didn't happen. A few months later her gear started to show up for sale at the local marche. She was a target, it didn't matter how well she blended into the society, she was hit because she didn't maintain S/A and continued to do unsafe practices because she felt that she blended in with the society.

FAST usually deploys in platoon-squad size elements, the local news reports these movements. No matter how long your hair is, if you have facial hair, walking while on the phone, or just picking your nose. It doesn't take much to see that you are a Marine, the way you walk, talk and many other indicators will give you away.

My opinion; long hair will lower your guard into a false sense of security just as the Africare Director being African American gave her a false sense of security.

Ok gunny rolls got it, was pretty sure they were not "love" handles, since Accord is tri-athlete
    I wear gunny rolls if a shirt wont squeak past my Popeye forearms

You know... boots that are bloused high and tight can cut circulation to the toes, remember that at Bridgeport when digits are numb. As belts can restrict and degenerate the lower back in physical occupations requiring much bending, no bueno.
    Suspenders

I would just like to point out that I have personally know Marines (plural) who were severely hospitalized with multiple stabbing wounds because their high-and-tights and moto gear turned them into targets for a violent gang initiation seeking to take down Marines.
    These Marines used the buddy system, didn't do anything wrong, followed all the regs to the letter, and were nearly killed because their inability to blend into their surroundings turned them into flashing neon targets for anti-military gang violence.

Obviously not everywhere is like that. But one of the basic skills of a warfighter is to know your environment. And I have learned that in certain situations, it is a good idea to wait until Monday to get a fresh haircut, rock a low-fade, and wear flip flops when I go out in town. It's called OPSEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    But one of the basic skills of a warfighter is to know your environment.
    I'm tracking 100%, the key to not getting into bad situations is to maintain your situational awareness and never let your guard down. It also helps if you avoid areas that are frequented by gangs, going into those areas using the buddy sustem only gets two people hurt.

Here's just something I noticed.

My SDI and other 3 DIs were squared away and ripped. They looked like walking posters. My SDI was Infantry and the other 3 were not.

My Platoon CO in MCT and our 3 other CIs all had various stages of bellies, sloppy sleeves (in comparison to the DIs), trousers bloused around the ankles, and looked nothing like walking posters. Three of them were Infantry and one was an Engineer. They all had combat experience.

Who would you want to go into combat with?

Gunny rolls are funny stuff.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Where ya from Meir?

Thread Information