Most intense physical workout
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Most intense physical workout

Ok, so now, I'm at that point where I want to push myself harder.

STILL working up to Pull-Ups. I can put out 80+ PU in two minutes, but for the sake of me, I can't do one pull-up. Since Marines are Masters of this exorcise, I was curious to know if anyone had any workout routines to build up on Pull Ups?

That said, What are some of the most intense physical workouts you've done?

Any routines that really pushed you?

Planning to push myself that extra mile.

I have goals established that I plan to accomplish, still mixed and confused about some things. But that stuff I'll worry about some other time.

Perhaps other DEPs/Wannabes can benefit from this as well.

Used the search bar, but haven't found enough to make a solid, firm foundation/conclusion.

PU, SU, Pull ups, Marine Sit Ups. def. (can already max Marine Corps SUs, and Army SUs, I distinguish the two because body positioning of the arms is different, and range of motion is different)

Swimming? Since it's summer, and I got a job going, I'll be getting a membership with a local Y. So swimming, weights, all forms of cardio, etc. will be at my disposal coming July 2nd (Payday).

Looking for routines to push my limits, see what I'm made of prior to making the big decision. Of which, I sincerely doubt I'm the only one on this forum who feels the same way, or has similiar, if not the same goals.

End goal, Max the RPFT, Marine PFT, and meet Navy Oustanding-High.

I hope to take the highest standards amongst them, and max them out. If I can do that, I'll know I can take on any physical obstacle.

I know I'm a bit crazy, as well as I know this may **** off some people due to the gravity of the goals I've established. But not going to worry about that.

As previously stated, I sincerely doubt I'm the only one who wishes to push himself. I want to eliminate my mental weaknesses, and personally believe this could be away to do away with my mental limitations of what I really can physically accomplish.

Any information on the hardest routines Marines have done, it would be appreciated if you wouldn't mind sharing.

End goals: 88PUs 2 mins. 88SU(Army) 2 mins. 110 SUs (Marine) 2 mins, 3 mile run (17 mins) 22 Pull-Ups (USMC Standard), 500M Swim 6 minutes, and 6 mile run in 40 minutes.

Or as close to those goals as humanly possible. If you can't do the above, I couldn't care less, that's not what this thread is about. It's about what's worked for you in pushing your physical limits. Routines, Weights, Cardio, etc. etc. Especially what kind of workouts you do to build up your Pull Ups. Even if it improve your pull-ups by one or two, is irrelevant. End effect, that routine increased your ability to do Pull-Ups. Which is just what I'm looking for, (and very sure many others).

I've searched this forum top to bottom. Well over 70 different variations of the question via search bar, with no joy. So I know physical improvement in this kind of manner has never been asked on this forum. (Or I wouldn't have asked) If for some oddball reason I have overlooked it, I sincerely apologize, and if that's the case, disregard.

Thank you.

D.

Marine Free Member 2ndLAADBnWRENCH's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Draco : Marine Friend

I have read your profile and I have read your question...

I was a athlete and personal trainer for "ALL" programs sports wise for both services while serving in the Marines and the the US ARMY. During that lifetime prior to a Medical Retirement. I also kept a high degree of scores for qualifications in Unit standards and special unit requirements. With all of this material you have typed.. I suggest you take a challenge for prep for an "INDOC" to a special unit! Rather than these scores you write and still yet to go to a boot camp of any kind in any service. I am in total "BEWONDERMENT" on these super soldier scores on all except "PULL UP'S". ?????Have U in a past life???? Pinched something in your neck or traps?? Possibly had a full and total tear in the rotator cuff or super spinatis muscle??? Please excuse my spelling, I am too damned bewildered to do spell check, BTW... I would suggest if your Dr. has cleared you for PT due to this not being able to do 1 single pull up and this really concerns me Truly,BTW!!!! Do a google search for preperation training and work outs indoctrination courses for BUDS,FORCE RECON, RANGERS, SPECIAL FORCES, PARA RESCUE n the list of work outs on line go on n on n on!!!!!! If these work outs are not a true test of your total core muscles you have made super human,BTW minus that pull up issue you've spoke of. I hope this last 30 minutes of my typing has inlightened you and your non challenging work out programs you have all ready tried and maxed out n got bored of already.

JB STARK USMC-US ARMY SPEC-OP'S SUPPORT(RET)

Credits
    Savings
    I can do the push-ups, and the sit ups.

But I've suffered no injury to the shoulder in quite some time. And when it occurred, it was merely ripped muscle (2 years ago) which for all intense and purposes if fully healed.

I've looked at Special Operations Trianing programs, only the issue to that, is I'm unable to go past 2.5 miles. Another issue I'm having, is running 3 miles straight at any pace. I can walk a 2:55 12 mile w/ 60lb pack, but I can't run 3 miles straight.

I keep plateauing at 2.5 miles. Speed doesn't increase, and when it does, I can't maintain it. when I attempt to push past 2.5 miles, I start getting shinsplints and in some occasions have fallen on my face.

I've found 100PU and 200 SU routines. but haven't found any on running.

I can do sprints back and fourth, no problem. (5.3 40M Dash) Distance running, I can't maintain a pace, let alone travel very far.

All the SpecOps routines I've found start off expecting you can do at least 15 Pull ups, and run 4 miles straight at a 8 min/mile pace. Which currently, is outside my physical capabilities.

Which is why I've resorted to coming onto a forum, and asking the above questions. Shoulder has been healed for a year and a half now. Muscle is healed, everything is good to go. And yes, I still can't do a single Pull Up. All Pull-Up routines I've found in general, already expect you to be able to do 3. Which is the other dilemna.

Credits
    Savings

Bs Flag ???? Eyed Wide Shut!!!!! Wall To Wall Consoling

Mister Man
    I have been rather ill n been away many months to return to some a the SOS!!!!! I have no advice 4 U!!!!!!! No wait,yes I do!!!!!!!

If you haven't figured it out already.. You are a professional behind the keyboard and lack the real persistence and dedication drug up from deep within ones self to overcome anything you wish to happen in your life....
    I suggest you remove yourself from all the things you been doing for the last gawd knows how many years. Get back to BASIC's and keep your mouth shut n ear's wide open!!!!!! You can in life get a RE-DO!!!!! But when people don't even respond to your BS you write other than those that ain't seen your broken record...You should receive a message that something is terribly wrong in DRACO LAND!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Draco771 View Post
    I can do the push-ups, and the sit ups.

But I've suffered no injury to the shoulder in quite some time. And when it occurred, it was merely ripped muscle (2 years ago) which for all intense and purposes if fully healed.

I've looked at Special Operations Trianing programs, only the issue to that, is I'm unable to go past 2.5 miles. Another issue I'm having, is running 3 miles straight at any pace. I can walk a 2:55 12 mile w/ 60lb pack, but I can't run 3 miles straight.

I keep plateauing at 2.5 miles. Speed doesn't increase, and when it does, I can't maintain it. when I attempt to push past 2.5 miles, I start getting shinsplints and in some occasions have fallen on my face.

I've found 100PU and 200 SU routines. but haven't found any on running.

I can do sprints back and fourth, no problem. (5.3 40M Dash) Distance running, I can't maintain a pace, let alone travel very far.

All the SpecOps routines I've found start off expecting you can do at least 15 Pull ups, and run 4 miles straight at a 8 min/mile pace. Which currently, is outside my physical capabilities.

Which is why I've resorted to coming onto a forum, and asking the above questions. Shoulder has been healed for a year and a half now. Muscle is healed, everything is good to go. And yes, I still can't do a single Pull Up. All Pull-Up routines I've found in general, already expect you to be able to do 3. Which is the other dilemna.

I can offer some advice to increase your pullups but if you cannot do a single one or finish a 3mi run then perhaps the Marine Corps isnt the career path for you

The best way to get better at pull-ups is to do pull-ups. If you can't do them from a dead hang, assist yourself up to the bar and do negatives. Try doing the flex arm hang like the females do and keep yourself in the pull-up position supported for as long as possible. That should strengthen the relevant muscles until you can do pull ups.

If your really having problems with pullups you could use bands to simulate the motions. On top of that what I would really recommend is having your feet on the edge of a chair, and use your toes/legs to help yourself get up. There is no reason why anyone should not be able to do a pullup with help from a chair or stool.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much everyone. I appreciate the information. And the advice.

Currently at 25% BMI. So taking off some more body fat may help my case as well. (pushing for 18%)

Continually reading through the boards. (have been for years) This site offers a great deal of information. I feel like quite an idiot not thinking of doing assisted's. I apologize for my stupidity on that part.

Credits
    Savings
    It wouldn't allow me to edit my above post. In those regards, I apologize for the double post.

A question I have, is how do you know if you're taking too much weight off via the assisted? I have no probs using a chair (until suggested, I had never even thought about it) but how do you know if you're relying on your legs too much vs yours upperback/shoulders? Just trial and error? Or is their something specifically to feel for?

I have about 10 mins left of my break. Then get to drive back to work, So I wont be replying for a bit. (working on drywalling a basement) then I got my workout later tonight.

I appreciate the information, and advice.

Lift weights, run, do dips, and just keep working on it.

If it's not easy for you to do, it's something that's going to take some time (like running), don't get mad if you can't do one now. Keep working at it and you'll get it, but it's going to take time.

Also, it's good that you're doing pushups, but I hope you know the Marine Corps doesn't use pushups at all for the PFT/CFT. So I really wouldn't worry about those unless you're just trying to build muscle (and then lifting is better).

Credits
    Savings

<<<<<<<<<<Reality Check>>>>>>>>

For those of you that do know me... You get the picture I been drawing here on this thread... ________For those that don't know me_______ I just jumped on this thread because all my brothers that know this young man will not give him the time of day!!!!!!! For those of you that are wasting your time giving him advice... Please read his profile and threads before getting in off the deep end....

Credits
    Savings

<<<<<<((( Reality Check )))>>>>>>

For those of you that do know me... You get the picture I been drawing here on this thread... ________For those that don't know me_______ I just jumped on this thread because all my brothers that know this young man will not give him the time of day!!!!!!! For those of you that are wasting your time giving him advice... Please read his profile and threads before getting in off the deep end.... I have asked very serious questions concerning this youngster's problems in this thread and have yet to get a straight answer!!!!!!!! Please don't buy into his BS...

Credits
    Savings

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndLAADBnWRENCH View Post
    For those of you that do know me... You get the picture I been drawing here on this thread... ________For those that don't know me_______ I just jumped on this thread because all my brothers that know this young man will not give him the time of day!!!!!!! For those of you that are wasting your time giving him advice... Please read his profile and threads before getting in off the deep end.... I have asked very serious questions concerning this youngster's problems in this thread and have yet to get a straight answer!!!!!!!! Please don't buy into his BS...
    What questions? I read your statements above, but there weren't any questions.

EDIT: Questions on shoulder injury were answered. However, it can't be the cause to my inability (currently) to do pull-ups.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndLAADBnWRENCH View Post
    Draco

on these super soldier scores on all except "PULL UP'S". ?????Have U in a past life???? Pinched something in your neck or traps??

JB STARK USMC-US ARMY SPEC-OP'S SUPPORT(RET)
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco771
    With utmost respect, there's nothing "super" at all about my PT repetitions. If you're in any decent shape, crunches shouldn't be difficult at all, nor should push-ups. although be it, I've worked on them going on a year, two years now? Either case, Sergeant, with the utmost respect, there is nothing "super soldier" about any of it.

Credits
    Savings

May be medically DQed.

I got a call back from a Navy Recruiter, one I had spoken with regarding becoming a Corpsman. Some things he found out about inhaler usage. It doesn't specifically aim towards those with asthma.

I used an inhaler when I was 11 years old. Reason for that inhaler, was to remove a "stabbing feeling" that spand across my lungs.

It was never before seen after a couple weeks.

When I was 16, during the 2006-2007 school year, I developed a form of mucous in my lungs. Had to use an inhaler to remove that mucus. Everything was dealt with within a couple weeks.

I have a history of use of an inhaler. Depending on the medical documentation, and how MEPS feels, I may be medically disqualified. SOmething no one has ever told me, despite the MULTIPLE times I've disclosed it. Apparently medical regulations on inhalor use, isn't restricted to asthma. It's any/all lung conditions past or present.

I'll find out if I'm really medically DQed when a waiver has been processed.

So if that's the case, doesn't matter what my BMI is, weight, anything. I may not be able to get in any branch anyway, for any reason. Just because of some crap that happened years ago.

For those of you who are looking to Enlist, think back long and hard when a Recruiter asks you about inhaler use, regulations across all 4 branches (per Department of Defense) are the same, inhaler usage is across the board, for any reason, not just asthma. And they don't care how long it's been since you last used one if you're over the age of 13.

Well, I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Thread Information