Medical Waiver for a broken (Now healed) Scaphoid??
Create Post

Medical Waiver for a broken (Now healed) Scaphoid??

Hey Marines,

I've been looking around but couldn't find exactly what I wanted, any opinions on my current situation would be greatly appreciated.

So, in 2008 I broke a bone in my wrist called the scaphoid. I had fallen during football practice, and had thought it was only a "sprained-wrist". Due to family income, and a "tough-mentality", it wasn't till later this year I found out I had fractured this small bone. Three months ago I had surgery to fix my wrist. The surgery consisted of a bone graft, in which they took bone from the top of my wrist and added it to the scaphoid. They also placed a very small surgical screw into my scaphoid, which will stay in my wrist for the rest of my life. For ten weeks, I wore a cast that allowed the bone to heal. After, I wore a splint for 2 weeks, and now I am currently doing physical therapy to reduce the stiffness in my wrist joints. Because of surgery, I now have two, one inch scars on my wrist. One is located on top, and one is located on the bottom, below my palm. As far as the fracture, it is now fully healed.

According to my doctor, "a fractured scaphoid, that has been fixed, and has a screw in it, is anywhere from 200-400% stronger than a normal scaphoid, that has never been broken".

At 50% healed, it was already as strong as a normal wrist. And because it is exponential, it will only increase in strength the more it is healed.

I'm still in the process of physical therapy, which after 5 weeks my wrist will be back to full use (and be stronger than a normal wrist). Because of physical therapy, my scars will also fade, and the swelling will be brought to a minimum.

Because I am only 15, the doctor said my body is able to retain full use of my wrist after this injury, and that it will in no way affect the future use of my wrist, only make it stronger. The "only" circumstance, would be that I may develop arthritis, in my right wrist, later in my life, but this is very common, even among normal adults.

Now to know a little about me, I have a very clean record. When I plan to enlist in two years, The only thing that could cause a problem is this "surgery". I have never, nor do I seriously ever plan on doing drugs, smoking, or drinking any form of alcohol. I take serious to these situations and have vowed never to allow myself to involve in such things. I have no criminal record, and seriously do not plan on getting anything in the next two years. I am also physically fit, being a high-school athlete, though I know this does not compare to the Marine Corps.

Taking into thought that surgery is the only thing affecting me. And that the Marine Corps are stricter on waivers and who they allow, do you think I still have a good chance of being accepted? I would love to enlist and go Infantry. My only worry is that when I got to MEPS, the docter would not fully understand my injury, and would DQ me for having a "broken wrist". Like I said this type of injury is very common, and usually heals up perfectly fine, and is stronger then a normal wrist.

I understand this is not a hospital, or a doctors office, I'm simply hoping to hear a Marine's opinion on my situation, and also my chances of getting accepted.

Thank you so much for your time, and here is a link in case anyone would like to know a little more about the scaphoid, and how it plays a role in the wrist.

http://arthroscopy.com/sp04013.htm

Thanks again Marines,

Pollock

When the time comes, talk to a Recruiter. As long as you have all your paperwork relating to the injury, surgery, recovery progress you should be ok.

Thread Information