Question for Mommies
Create Post
    Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Question for Mommies

I am just starting out as a professional photographer. I haven't developed a client base yet, so business is spotty. While I am getting this up and running I am thinking about making some things to sell on etsy.com to supplement our income. I really want to make baby and toddler bedding since I could never find anything I liked for my girls at a good price (yeah, Serena and Lily is beautiful, but my husband is a SGT... I can't afford it!).

My question is this... as a Mother, what would you like to see? I thought about crib and toddler size bedding, but does anyone have othe suggestions? What have you had trouble finding? What would you buy and at what price?

Thanks for any help you can give. Marine wives have it tough and Marine Mommies even more (since we have to be both while our Husbands are gone!). I appreciate your advice.

Marine Spouse Free Member Idena's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SBrooks0709 View Post
    I am just starting out as a professional photographer. I haven't developed a client base yet, so business is spotty. While I am getting this up and running I am thinking about making some things to sell on etsy.com to supplement our income. I really want to make baby and toddler bedding since I could never find anything I liked for my girls at a good price (yeah, Serena and Lily is beautiful, but my husband is a SGT... I can't afford it!).

My question is this... as a Mother, what would you like to see? I thought about crib and toddler size bedding, but does anyone have othe suggestions? What have you had trouble finding? What would you buy and at what price?

Thanks for any help you can give. Marine wives have it tough and Marine Mommies even more (since we have to be both while our Husbands are gone!). I appreciate your advice.
    By what would I like to see, do you mean patterns/designs? Assuming you do, I would love things in retro patterns - things that look like illustrations from old children's books. Peter Rabbit. LOVE Peter Rabbit, & the only bedding I've ever seen in Beatrix Potter patterning is from Pottery Barn. Needless to say, we can't afford that. I just look at it, sigh, & turn the page.

I, personally, did both of my kids' nurseries in Classic Pooh. Partly because once I bought the stuff, I saw no earthly reason to buy a whole new set of bedding for the second child. I'll probably use it again for our third, should there be a third. I'm too practical & thrifty to throw away things that are fully functional. However, that said, I love to daydream about other patterns. And there may come a time when I want to change it up.

I would go for things that are unusual & unlike what you can buy in a store. For instance, some of the coolest bedding I ever saw for a nursery was all a Yellow Submarine theme (I <3 the Beatles in a big way.). Coca-Cola. And any kind of college sports theme. I bought a bunch of stuff for a friend's baby in an LSU theme, & I had to order it on Etsy because it's not available in a mainstream store. So going with big name schools with large fan bases like Notre Dame, Penn State, Clemson, Georgia, etc would net you business. Also, I have a friend who wants to do a baby nursery entirely in Harley Davidson when she gets pregnant, & she'll have a hard time finding baby things in Harley patterns. That's another niche market that you might be able to look into.

Hope this helps & hasn't just been mindless rambling. :-) I love other crafty mamas!

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Boys' toddler bedding! When my son was in a toddler bed we had a really hard time finding three piece sheet sets that were not white (toddlers and white are not a good combo). I was looking for a print but there really were not very many good options. For girls, there seemed to be bunches more. Of course you can always find the Disney themed stuff but nothing that was more versatile. I was really looking for a rugby striped quilt and some sort of matching print for thae sheets. I would make stuff like that...

Thread Information