When did metal collar chevrons first see use?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

When did metal collar chevrons first see use?

I have been occasionally seeing metal collar chevrons on ebay and other places. These have no crossed rifles and the stripes are narrower than the ones currently in use. When did these types of metal chevrons come into use? I have been told Korean War but cannot verify that. I have attempted to attach a photo of the ones in question:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	!Bv2R21gB2k~$(KGrHqN,!i0Ev1+0I45pBMGReCyt9Q~~_35.jpg‎
Views:	232
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	8730  

I am pretty certain they weren't worn during the Korean War era. During Korea, chevrons were stenciled onto the sleeve of the jacket using a marking kit. I seem to recall the metal ones began being used sometime between 1958 to 1963.

Um, I use metal chevrons...or metal-like ones...and have for years. Most people I know don't use plastic ones b/c they are somewhat cheap looking I guess.

Cross rifles were commonly added, I believe, in 1962 on all rank. However, Gunny chevrons had a flaming/bursting bomb atop cross rifles around the late 1800's/early 1900's

image of this here http://www20.brinkster.com/gunnyg/acting.html

Army has no cross rifles so maybe they are Army

i'm pretty sure the army had their ranks embroidered on the collar.

I'm fairly certain that those metal chevrons are not Marine Corps and are indeed Army. The Army has used both cloth chevrons as mentioned above as well as the metal ones. I think by the time the Marine Corps transitioned to wearing metal chevrons on their collar, the crossed rifles had also been added.

Id have to agree that those are army and that Im pretty sure my dad wore a pair just like that when he was a soldier

I went through a Army National Guard school back in 99/00 and we had metal chevrons that looked like those

don't know if they had metal chevrons but pre 59 Marine Corps chevrons didn't have crossed rifles.

Those are Army Chevrons I had a pair when I was in the National Guard they don't have the crossed rifles just the plain chevrons.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yanacek View Post
    I'm fairly certain that those metal chevrons are not Marine Corps and are indeed Army. The Army has used both cloth chevrons as mentioned above as well as the metal ones. I think by the time the Marine Corps transitioned to wearing metal chevrons on their collar, the crossed rifles had also been added.
    Exactly.

I wore metal chevrons that looked just like this picture. When we stopped stenciling chevrons on our utilities we were issued the metal one without the crossed rifles, because there were no Lance Guns, E-8, or E-9 at that time. I do not remember the year and have a hard time remembering what happened 5 minutes ago. When the present rank structure came into effect, if you were a E-5 Sgt. you wore the SSgt. Chevrons. If you got promoted to E-6 you wore chevrons of GySgt.

It pretty much took about 1 1/2 years to phase out the old rank structure and get the new chevrons with crossed rifles issued.

Actually, it was more like a whole lot of monkeys raping a football. Quite a fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by clancey1849 View Post
    I have been occasionally seeing metal collar chevrons on ebay and other places. These have no crossed rifles and the stripes are narrower than the ones currently in use. When did these types of metal chevrons come into use? I have been told Korean War but cannot verify that. I have attempted to attach a photo of the ones in question:

The Marine chevrons without the cross rifles were much wider.

They also had "threaded studs" and the backs screwed on.

The threads were hard on the collar as they made the holes well worn in short order.

The year of change---1960 for my Sgt to become a Cpl. Not a happy camper.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yea,,,,, screw on,,,,,,I remember,,,,,,,No, that was just the EGA for me. Anyway, when I looked I saw Army,,,,,,, But that's just me.

Thread Information