Looking for Korea era uniform, pictures and questions
Create Post

Looking for Korea era uniform, pictures and questions

I'm looking for some pictures of a Korea era uniform. What ever the equivelant to the camouflage/combat uniform of today would be. Preferable with all the othe gear carried by the Marine, his "Deuce Gear" as it were.

Is there much of a difference between that uniform and that of the Marines who fought inthe Pacific in WWII? Did the uniform change much by the late 50s?

I'm trying to to research the uniform to make a figure. Google images doesn't get specific (or I end up with pictures of ROK Marines) and some of the other pictures/info just isn't getting me what I need.

Thanks

I also collect some things for showing with my 1956 USMC M38a1 jeep so anything Vietnam era pics or any gear you want to sell let me know Marine 65 has a great pic of him in a Jeep just like mine.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto the Otter View Post
    I'm looking for some pictures of a Korea era uniform. What ever the equivelant to the camouflage/combat uniform of today would be. Preferable with all the othe gear carried by the Marine, his "Deuce Gear" as it were.

Is there much of a difference between that uniform and that of the Marines who fought inthe Pacific in WWII? Did the uniform change much by the late 50s?

I'm trying to to research the uniform to make a figure. Google images doesn't get specific (or I end up with pictures of ROK Marines) and some of the other pictures/info just isn't getting me what I need.

Thanks
    No Change. Here you go.........

http://web2.airmail.net/recon36/US/usmc.html

Otto:

The uniform 'sort of' changed, mostly in smaller details. Helmet covers, for example, although of WWII vintage, began to 'sport' an EGA on the front. Chevrons were more often seen painted on sleeves. The uniform pattern itself showed some changes, but not very many, and I don't believe, unless you are REALLY getting into tiny details, it's going to matter much.

Field Gear remained essentially the same, but the colors changed to the 'greener' shade (versus the more 'tan' items). The M1941 pack system, consisting of Haversack and Knapsack, remained the same as the 1944 (in collector parlance, the '4th' pattern, changing from flaptop/pigtails, to rolltop on both bags). The suspenders remained the same (And this system continued right up until replaced by ALICE in 1968 or so). The "Jungle" style first aid kit remained unchanged. Canteens and covers had switched from the 'over the flap' style to a 'lift the dot' straight pattern style cover. Belts remained essentially unchanged except for coloring. Leggings were standard issue and remained the 'yellow' color.

Hopefully, that provides some help! Another good place to search is the LIFE magazine archives on google. Try searching for "Inchon landing" "Chosin" and such, you should get some good photos then.

Don't forget, 'never say never' when it comes to uniforms and equipment. Just because something 'new' came on line in 1950, does NOT mean Marines ALL got it at the same time all over the world.

If you are looking for certain pieces of gear, drop me a line. I might have some things.

Here is the link to google/life images:

http://images.google.com/hosted/life

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 06-23-10 at 01:36 AM.

At MCRD, San Diego, we were issued a rain coat with a button in liner. When rain hit this raincoat, it blotted up the rain and you were better off not to wear it. If you were stationed in a very cold area stateside you were issued a wool overcoat, that was very heavy and if got wet was twice as heavy.

The raincoat had rank sewn on the sleeves, but if I remember correctly, there was no rank on the overcoat.

Thread Information