DD215 procedural question
Create Post
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    DD215 procedural question

    In was in VN in 1967 and left the corps in '69. In the late 80's I lost my medals and ribbons (house fire) and requested replacements. My original DD214 showed the Purple Heart Medal (I received 3 PH's, 1 medal with 2 gold stars), the VN Service and VN campaign medals.

    However, when I received the replacements the paperwork said I was also entitled to the PUC, CAR, and VN Gallantry Cross.

    I didn't think much about it until just this spring when I filed a claim with the VA for some medical issues related to the shrapnel wounds I had recieved back in '67. I had requested (via form SF180, new DD214 and all other records. What I received back was the original copy of my DD214 still not showing the PUC, CAR, and VNGC. I know for sure that I rated the CAR because at one time or another I'd fired about half the weapons available to us (and one night in Sept of '67, at Con Thien, I even had to resort to throwing some rocks at them).

    Question: Is it likely the reason that my DD214 was never updated was because I hadn't filed a DD215? My medical records show that I was wounded in the arm, leg, and hand by shrapnel so I don't think there is an issue in establishing service connection but it would be nice to have the CAR shown on my DD214.


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike326 View Post
    In was in VN in 1967 and left the corps in '69. In the late 80's I lost my medals and ribbons (house fire) and requested replacements. My original DD214 showed the Purple Heart Medal (I received 3 PH's, 1 medal with 2 gold stars), the VN Service and VN campaign medals.

    However, when I received the replacements the paperwork said I was also entitled to the PUC, CAR, and VN Gallantry Cross.

    I didn't think much about it until just this spring when I filed a claim with the VA for some medical issues related to the shrapnel wounds I had recieved back in '67. I had requested (via form SF180, new DD214 and all other records. What I received back was the original copy of my DD214 still not showing the PUC, CAR, and VNGC. I know for sure that I rated the CAR because at one time or another I'd fired about half the weapons available to us (and one night in Sept of '67, at Con Thien, I even had to resort to throwing some rocks at them).

    Question: Is it likely the reason that my DD214 was never updated was because I hadn't filed a DD215? My medical records show that I was wounded in the arm, leg, and hand by shrapnel so I don't think there is an issue in establishing service connection but it would be nice to have the CAR shown on my DD214.

    Great Question Mike, just send another SF-180 form, with a copy of your DD-214, The Letter stating your entitlement to the CAR, PUC, and Vietnam Gallantry Cross from the 80's, and a letter explaining that you would like these awards placed on a DD-215. I had to do this for two awards myself, very easy process. Also welcome aboard and Semper Fi!!


  3. #3
    Thanks, that sounds pretty straight forward (and not nearly as daunting as I thought it would be).

    Have a great day, and Semper Fi!


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike326 View Post
    Thanks, that sounds pretty straight forward (and not nearly as daunting as I thought it would be).

    Have a great day, and Semper Fi!
    Not a problem brother, glad to help a fellow Marine Brother. SF


  5. #5
    Marine Free Member DocGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Port Richey
    Posts
    2,365
    Credits
    12,038
    Savings
    0
    MIKE....take a look at my DD214, and DD215 in my photo album, in my profile. I had a similar problem, and filled out that same form, took about 90 days to get the DD215.....BEST OF LUCK!!!


  6. #6
    Yeah...expect 90 days to 6 months. Just depends on how busy they are. As long as you have OFFICIAL documentation, you'll be fine.

    Without it..the process will be VERY long indeed.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Yeah...expect 90 days to 6 months. Just depends on how busy they are. As long as you have OFFICIAL documentation, you'll be fine.

    Without it..the process will be VERY long indeed.
    Yeah def, thankfully me being as young as I am. My records are still located at HQMC, and havn't been sent over to NPRC. When I sent off for my Global War on Terror Service, and MUC it was easy. I just sent them a copy of my DD-214, Duty Station List from SRB, and a copy of the MarAdmin for the MUC. Sure enough about two weeks later I had the letters stating entitlement. In about another two weeks I had the DD-215. Well actually I got two DD-215 because one states the GWOTSM, and the MUC is on another because I sent the paperwork for it seperate. You get the jist though it was quick.


  8. #8
    Now you have me wondering what you mean by 'official documentation'. I will be able to fill out the SF180 and I have copies of my DD214, but I don't have the letter which came with my replacement medals because that was over 30 years ago.


  9. #9
    Administrator Platinum Member Rocky C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    48,647
    Credits
    77,210
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike326 View Post
    Now you have me wondering what you mean by 'official documentation'. I will be able to fill out the SF180 and I have copies of my DD214, but I don't have the letter which came with my replacement medals because that was over 30 years ago.
    Then you're going to wait Brother like I am. 14 Months already waiting for my DD-215.

    It is What it is............

    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

    - .... . / ..-. . .-- --..-- / - .... . / .--. .-. --- ..- -.. --..-- / - .... . / -- .- .-. .. -. . ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-



    All Marine, All The Time...

  10. #10
    Oh well, that's one thing we all learned how to do in the corps.

    Thanks everyone.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts