Just Wondering
Create Post

Thread: Just Wondering

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Just Wondering

I AM GOIN INTO BOOTCAMP AS A PRIVATE FIRST CLASS BECAUSE I COMPLETED 2 YEARS OF J.R.O.T.C. IN HIGH SCHOOL...WILL THE DRILL INSTRUCTORS EXPECT MORE OF MY PERFORMANCE OR WILL THEY TREAT ME LIKE EVERY OTHER RECRUITE?...ANY OTHER INFORMATION YOU MARINES CAN GIVE ME ABOUT BOOTCAMP WILL BE APRECIATED!!!

Registered User Free Member 03Infantry's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You will not be a PFC until the day of graduation (except that your pay reflects that of a PFC). We had future (your still a recruit) PFC's in our platoon but they were just like the rest of us. The DI's will tell you that all of you are recruits until you graduate. Towards the last week of bootcamp the might call you all Privates because you have not actually been promoted to PFC just yet. So don't call your self a PFC before they do...........they hate that. Also make sure you have the papers proving that you will be promoted to PFC. If you don't get them your SOL. GOOD LUCK

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    A former Drill Instructor will be in a better position than I am to answer your question.

However, from my poor recollection of 45 years ago, I would sy this:

You start even, you progress even, and it is not until the time for the Drill Instructors to make their recommendations for Meritorious Promotions to PFC that the individuals status is revealed. (Unless he opened his big mouth first.)

I'm comfortable with this answer, until someone with more recent experience differs with me. Then I, as you, will learn something. willse

Outlaw: I would go along with 1st Sgt Mike's comment, and expand on his last point to keep your mouth shut. I recall, fondly, that my SDI pointed out that "you are all turds, lower than whale s**t" . I come from a time--62--that no one to my knowledge came in with a rank up and to mention it would, I think, be sheer folly.

Also on your other point noted elsewhere (going in as an 0800) remember you're a rifleman first an 0800 second. That being said you can PM if you wish regarding that MOS as I was 0811, 0844 to 0846. That was all 40 yrs ago so I expect much has changed but I may have some useful insights.

Naw....

OUTLAW

Show some imitative...

Get to a Marine PX as soon as you can, but before going to boot camp, buy your PFC stripes and when they issue you, your greens, just sew the stripes on.

The next morning show your D.I. your papers, and he'll see your stripes and he'll probably make you the platoons guide. Who knows they may even make you a lance corporal before you graduate.

A lot of slick-sleeve Privates will be doing their very best and will have high hopes of making PFC right out of boot for their efforts. If they do, they will have earned it.

A lot will be expected of them. Leadership, self discipline, an outstanding display of fortitude, etc., etc., etc.

You say that you will be a PFC when (if) you graduate and become a Marine.

You say that you have two years of JROTC.

You ask, will more be expected from me?

I'll let you answer that.

(Hint: You never quit earning your stripes.)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THere is no rank among recruits until graduation. Now, your experiences may get you into a leadership position such as guide or squadleader. You will have to prove yourself though. THe only way the DIs will know about your ROTC experience is if you open your mouth! SO, open it wide and tell them when they ask "who has been in ROTC or sea cadets or some crap like that."

Registered User Free Member 03Infantry's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The Ssgt. is right. Show them that you have something above everyone else. If you are honor guide you could graduate lance corporal.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The bottom line is you need to show initiative by letting them know you have ROTC. Seek the additional responsibility of a leadership role. In these two sentences I have talked about a leadership trait and one principle. By volunteering this information, you have begun your grooming as a leader of Marines and have already display some of those qualities of a leader.

SIXGUNS

Thread Information