Marine continues family legacy, becomes 14th member in Corps
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 20039188392
Story by Cpl. Alisha R. Fitzgerald

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Sept. 19, 2003) -- Private First Class Ben Pidgeon, Platoon 3072, Lima Co., 3rd RTBn., will march across the Peatross Parade Deck today to become the 14th member of his family to serve in the Marine Corps.

Since birth, Pidgeon has been amidst the Marine Corps, moving from duty station to duty station every three years while his father, Gunnery Sgt. Ben Pidgeon (Ret.), completed 20 years of service.

Coming from such a long line of Leathernecks, it seemed obvious that Pidgeon was destined to stand on the yellow footprints. Yet, getting his parents to see that destiny was slightly more complicated.

"Everyone always discouraged me from doing it," said Pidgeon. "My parents were pushing me to go to college."

With so many people urging him not to enlist, the 18-year-old was even more intrigued with the idea, especially after learning about his family's history.

"When somebody tells you not to do something, it just makes you want it that much more," he said. "Plus, it made me so proud to find out I had come from such a long line of Marines. I wanted to continue the tradition."

Though Pidgeon's parents were against the idea at first, they knew they were fighting a losing battle. Just like his father, and his father before him, the desire was practically his inherent.

"It's kind of just been a matter of fact," said Pidgeon's mother, Pamela, of her family. "It's been a way of life. Ben was brought up that way, and we never had a doubt that he would want to continue the tradition. It's in his genes."

The tradition began with Pidgeon's grandfather, George Pidgeon, who fought at Guadalcanal during World War II and also in Korea. There were at least half a dozen other cousins and uncles of Pidgeon's that also served during World War II.

It was more than just a desire to carry on a tradition that helped lead Pidgeon to his career choice, however. Other factors made the Marine Corps appealing to him.

"The Marines get the utmost respect from everyone," he said. "It feels good knowing you're the one everybody relies on."

Despite the Corps' appealing reputation and his family's extensive Marine Corps history, Pidgeon was in his junior year of high school before he was sure of his decision. It took a little reassurance from a fellow classmate to set his enlistment into motion.

"A close friend of mine from my class told me he was also wanting to go," said Pidgeon. "We decided to go together. Knowing I would have a friend go through it with me helped me to finalize my decision."

Once his course was set, Pidgeon began his preparations, which had already involuntarily begun. Being surrounded by Marine Corps culture his entire life and witnessing firsthand day-to-day operations, was advantageous to Pidgeon throughout recruit training.

"I learned a lot about how the Marine Corps operates when my dad was at his last duty station, which was a reservist station," he recalled. "I used to go up there all the time to just hang out and to work out at the gym."

Aside from visiting his dad on base, Pidgeon spent four years in the Young Marines program, where he picked up Marine Corps knowledge and some of the basic drill movements. He also began running and conditioning once he was sure of his decision to enlist.

"My dad never forced me to run, but when I did start running, he ran with me," said Pidgeon. "He got pretty aggravated when I started beating him," he added with a chuckle.

Familiarity and physical fitness were not the only things that helped him through recruit training. Pidgeon had the jump on other recruits on his platoon in other ways, as well.

"Besides being more prepared physically than some of the others, I was more mentally prepared, too," he said. "I was used to being yelled at all the time and we had to keep things spotless around the house. I was expected to make my bed every day before school."

Although he was used to Marine Corps traditions and values, the actual recruit training experience changed some of Pidgeon's priorities and helped him look at his life differently.

"I've calmed down a lot," he said. "I think I'm a better person now. I've gotten away from a lot of my bad habits."

Pidgeon's family could not agree more, and could not be more proud of him.

"I can tell, just from his letters, that he's grown up," said Pamela. "He said that what matters to him now is country and family. He knows that the things that mattered to him in high school are not as important as he thought. We sent him there a 17-year-old boy and we're getting back a man."

Pidgeon will be going home with his family to Ft. Wayne, Ind., for his 10 days of leave after graduation. Some of the things he said he wanted to be sure to do before having to report to Marine Combat Training include sleeping in late and eating fast food and his mom's home cooking.

After MCT, he will go to school in Pensacola, Fla., to become an aircraft mechanic. He said he is still uncertain about whether he will stay in the Corps long enough to retire.

"I'd like to, but I'll have to just see how things go," he said.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...le/pidg(l).jpg

Private First Class Ben Pidgeon, Platoon 3072, Lima Co., 3rd RTBn., helps his fire team build a bridge in one of the problem-solving stations during Event 2 of the Crucible Sept. 10. Pidgeon graduates recruit training today, becoming the fourteenth member of his family to bear the title of Marine.
Photo by: Cpl. Alisha R. Fitzgerald

The Drifter