Not sure what to do.....
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Not sure what to do.....

I'm currently working out with the marines and preparing myself to go to MEPS next week. I am prescibed xanax and have told my recruiter about it. I am having a tough time getting off of it but know that I want to become a Marine. My recruiter told me that when I go to MEPS not to say anything about taking the prescription. I have been looking at many different posts on the internet and have heard different things. Should I not tell the people at MEPS about it and also will it show up on the drug test and make me fail it? Thanks

Try filling out all of your profile, as it's required in the site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

Try doing a search on the Leatherneck and the internet for medical waivers for the Marine Corps.

And most importantly...DO NOT lie about anything when you go to MEPS, especially prescription meds!

Well, since it's prescribed for anxiety disorders/panic attacks, you bet your sweet ass you better tell MEPS. And I'm sorry but if you're have a tough time getting off it, you may need to consider other career options.

I mean it's just hard because it is physically addictive. So I should definitley tell MEPS about it then. Why would my recruiter tell me not 2? I have been working extremely hard the last 3 weeks and have dropped my college courses for next semester. I am really starting to worry about not telling them about my medication. I just don't want to dissapoint my recruiter when I tell them about my medication when he has been telling me not 2 all this time.

The only person you will disappoint is yourself IF YOU decide to lie, then get through the whole process at MEPS, then it's discovered that you lied and your being charged with fraudulent enlistment.
    Be honest with the doctors at MEPS, and take it from there.

Punitive Articles of the UCMJ
    Article 83—Fraudulent enlistment, appointment, or separation

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punit...es/a/mcm83.htm

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBoy171 View Post
    I'm currently working out with the marines and preparing myself to go to MEPS next week. I am prescibed xanax and have told my recruiter about it. I am having a tough time getting off of it but know that I want to become a Marine. My recruiter told me that when I go to MEPS not to say anything about taking the prescription. I have been looking at many different posts on the internet and have heard different things. Should I not tell the people at MEPS about it and also will it show up on the drug test and make me fail it? Thanks

Current or history of anxiety disorders (anxiety (300.01) or panic (300.2)), agoraphobia (300.21), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), obsessive-compulsive (300.3), other acute reactions to stress (308), and posttraumatic stress disorder (309.81) are disqualifying.

Good Luck and Good Health to you...........

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I mean it's just hard because it is physically addictive. So I should definitley tell MEPS about it then. Why would my recruiter tell me not 2? I have been working extremely hard the last 3 weeks and have dropped my college courses for next semester. I am really starting to worry about not telling them about my medication. I just don't want to dissapoint my recruiter when I tell them about my medication when he has been telling me not 2 all this time.

How much do you take per day?

I am taking .25 mg 3 times a day. I wasn't taking it for panic attacks or anything like that I was taking it for school because I didn't want to take anything with amphetamines in it like adderrall or ritalin. I don't even have add but my doctor told me that she thought it would help me be less stressed about things. I had no idea though that it was a narcotic and that I would have 2 taper off of it. I talked to my recruiter today and told him I at least had to be completely off of it before I would even consider giving false information. I am in great shape now and could enlist the only thing is this whole deal. Thanks everyone for the advice on this situation!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am taking .25 mg 3 times a day. I wasn't taking it for panic attacks or anything like that I was taking it for school because I didn't want to take anything with amphetamines in it like adderrall or ritalin. I don't even have add but my doctor told me that she thought it would help me be less stressed about things. I had no idea though that it was a narcotic and that I would have 2 taper off of it. I talked to my recruiter today and told him I at least had to be completely off of it before I would even consider giving false information. I am in great shape now and could enlist the only thing is this whole deal. Thanks everyone for the advice on this situation!
    Well, it seems the thing to do is start weaning yourself. It will take at least a month to do it right. Go see your doctor and ask him for a safe weaning schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Well, it seems the thing to do is start weaning yourself. It will take at least a month to do it right. Go see your doctor and ask him for a safe weaning schedule.
    Also... whatever you do, DO NOT wean yourself off of your meds. As Zulu said, go see your doctor.

yes I have already talked to my doctor and started weaning myself off with her help.

I would listen to what your recruiter told you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner 0313 View Post
    I would listen to what your recruiter told you.
    lmao Gunner don't get the kid confused!!!

lol thanks Gunner I like your answer. I am just going to do as my recruiter said because I know that I will not have any problems once I'm off because my doctor said I would be fine. I was just worried about getting kicked out one day, but I have recently been talking to people and I have one buddy who had a broken leg once and didn't tell MEPS people about it and he said it hurts like hell everyday but no matter what he can't say anything. So I think that is probably a worse thing not 2 tell the MEPS people because I have no physical problems at all. I don't know if you guys think I am an idiot for doing this feel free 2 say so lol. Thanks

Boy, you had to take friggin meds to get through HS. And now you are dependent on them. And you have decided to lie to the US Govt and the Corps just so you can enlist.

You thought you needed meds to get through HS? Just wait until you see what real pressure is.

I truly hope you fail.

There are far to many kids out there who want a chance and are neither liars, dependent on drugs, nor need meds to get through something as easy as high school.

Give me an honest boozer or dobbie smoker any day. At least you could depend on them being honest.

Thread Information