Eyesight? and a few workout questions.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Eyesight? and a few workout questions.

Hey Marines, like I stated in a previous thread, I'm blind as a bat. BUT I can see just as good as anyone with glasses, just because I have bad eyes I won't need a medical waiver, will I?

(Ms. Lisa I know you KNOW where to find this stuff, could ya send me the website so I can put it on my desktop pleaseee? )

Also my pull ups are still shiat... I'm working on them, but now my recruiter wants me to change from palms facing me, to palms facing out. Which is cool, but I'm afraid of it messing me up. My max is 14 with a band, palms in, but palms out its only 5 with a band. But he said it will help, and your muscles in your back grow faster, is there any salt to this? I have to get two pull ups for my IST. I just dont want the minimum either..

What are some other good upper body exercises, for pull ups?

It is frustrating as hell seeing people who cant make weight, cause they are to big be able toget theirs and skinny ass me cant even lift myself.

Anybody? I just gotta get these pull-ups, I'm not as concerned with the running and situps, but the pull ups are killing me here.

Someone told me the only good way to get good at pull ups, is to do pull ups, but I cant lift myself up there, so do I need to just do negatives, or is there something else I can do to help improve them.

Thanks for your time.

PM sent.

This site is blocked here on Leatherneck, so the (dot) is there for a reason. Check it out, it might helps you with your pullups.

www.military (dot).com/fitness-center/military-fitness/workouts/archive

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I'm blind as a bat.

Bats are not blind. Like many animals, they are born blind, but gain eyesight from the time they are seven to nine days old.

The saying, "blind as a bat," probably arose because of the way bats fly around, darting here and there at night. Actually, the bat is hunting insects, which people cannot see in the dark when the bat is flying about. Bats are nocturnal creatures.

Most come out only at night to hunt. Although they can see reasonably well, they are not equipped with the special eyesight possessed by other night-hunting animals such as owls and cats. Instead, bats fly and guide themselves in the dark by means of a sonar system.

This is how the bat's sonar system works. As the bat flies, it emits a high, squeaking sound, unable to be heard by human ears. As the sound travels outward, it hits objects and bounces back. These sound waves tell the bat where objects are so they can be avoided. This method of locating objects is called echolocation. Bats fly safely at night by using their ears, not their eyes.

During World War II, a special army unit began training bats to carry bombs into cracks and crevices of enemy buildings. The war ended before the project was ever put into operation!

Also some say that:

No, bats aren't blind. All bats can see, although some species aren't exactly eagle-eyed.

While scientists believe smaller bats don't see in color, many species get around amazingly well in the dark. Some bat species have the added advantage of echolocation -- the ability to bounce sounds off an object, including prey, to determine its size, shape, and location.

The Bat Conservation International reports the echolocation of a fishing bat is sophisticated enough to detect a minnow's fin as fine as a human hair sticking up just 2 mm above a pond's surface. Those of us with LASIK should be so lucky.

So saying you're "as blind as a bat" without your contacts isn't really an admission of poor eyesight. It's just an idiom dating back hundreds of years. Though they may be as hungry as a horse, as quiet as a mouse, and as happy as a clam, bats aren't, well, as blind as a bat.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Ms.Lisa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bquick13 View Post
    Thanks Ms.Lisa!!!
    You're Welcome!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Bats are not blind. Like many animals, they are born blind, but gain eyesight from the time they are seven to nine days old.

The saying, "blind as a bat," probably arose because of the way bats fly around, darting here and there at night. Actually, the bat is hunting insects, which people cannot see in the dark when the bat is flying about. Bats are nocturnal creatures.

Most come out only at night to hunt. Although they can see reasonably well, they are not equipped with the special eyesight possessed by other night-hunting animals such as owls and cats. Instead, bats fly and guide themselves in the dark by means of a sonar system.

This is how the bat's sonar system works. As the bat flies, it emits a high, squeaking sound, unable to be heard by human ears. As the sound travels outward, it hits objects and bounces back. These sound waves tell the bat where objects are so they can be avoided. This method of locating objects is called echolocation. Bats fly safely at night by using their ears, not their eyes.

During World War II, a special army unit began training bats to carry bombs into cracks and crevices of enemy buildings. The war ended before the project was ever put into operation!

Also some say that:

No, bats aren't blind. All bats can see, although some species aren't exactly eagle-eyed.

While scientists believe smaller bats don't see in color, many species get around amazingly well in the dark. Some bat species have the added advantage of echolocation -- the ability to bounce sounds off an object, including prey, to determine its size, shape, and location.

The Bat Conservation International reports the echolocation of a fishing bat is sophisticated enough to detect a minnow's fin as fine as a human hair sticking up just 2 mm above a pond's surface. Those of us with LASIK should be so lucky.

So saying you're "as blind as a bat" without your contacts isn't really an admission of poor eyesight. It's just an idiom dating back hundreds of years. Though they may be as hungry as a horse, as quiet as a mouse, and as happy as a clam, bats aren't, well, as blind as a bat.

I stand corrected.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Advice and an education. One stop shopping here at Leatherneck.com.

Best way to get more pull ups is to do more pull ups. I suck at pull ups, I have to work my ass off to get my 20. The best way I found to do this is to do a lot of pull ups. You just have to keep working.

Thread Information