Deployment
Create Post

Thread: Deployment

Deployment

Hello Marines,
    My question is about deployments. My MOS is Aviation Mechanic and I keep hearing about these non-deployable units or stations. The thing is I really want to get deployed. Is there any kind of steps that I could take or any thing that I could do that would help me not be in one of these non-deployable situations. I realize that I should be worried about boot-camp right now but it's just something i'm curious about. Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure planes need maintenance in Afghanistan too.

it depends on which field you get in aviation mechanics. it is very broad. I was a 6227 I level mechanic for the f/a-18. basically when mechanics in squadrons couldnt keep it running or fix the issue theyd send it to me to fix. my old job i could not do in country there are times that wed go on the boat but for the most part wed only deploy to Iwakuni where i already spent 3 years so i could not go on the boat.

Now there is always hot fills and Individual augment billets that you can volunteer for. deployments with your unit depends on which specific job you get my buddy was a 6217 which worked on the engine while in aircraft went to iraq several times and iwakuni a time or 2 also. me just 3 years in japan and couldnt deploy any other time.

I had a buddy who was a jet-engine test mechanic, or something like that, and he never deployed at the time I met him (he was a Sgt. with a healthy amount of TIG). He had like two or three ribbons after being in the Marine Corps for over an enlistment...so he was definitely in a non-deployable unit.

If you get in an MWSS or a MEU you will deploy...not sure about MAG/MAW/MACG, etc.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
    Hello Marines,
    My question is about deployments. My MOS is Aviation Mechanic and I keep hearing about these non-deployable units or stations. The thing is I really want to get deployed. Is there any kind of steps that I could take or any thing that I could do that would help me not be in one of these non-deployable situations. I realize that I should be worried about boot-camp right now but it's just something i'm curious about. Thanks in advance.

Unless you're teaching at a school house (unlikely for years), and a few other places, you have an excellent chance of being deployed at least once during your enlistment. The few non-deployable slots for av mechs are not usually given to Marines fresh from MOS school.

Now, worry about boot camp. The Marine Corps will do as it will with you regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Unless you're teaching at a school house (unlikely for years), and a few other places, you have an excellent chance of being deployed at least once during your enlistment. The few non-deployable slots for av mechs are not usually given to Marines fresh from MOS school.

Now, worry about boot camp. The Marine Corps will do as it will with you regardless.

again it depends on the field you get as youll have to sign for an AF option on your contract

dude, im an avimech... youre stuck where ever they put you... all squadrons will deploy at any MCAS... i was at new river and we, as a MALS, just got back in january from a year deployment... most squadrons deploy for 6 months at a time, and most mals deploy anywhere from 6-12 months... all depends on rotations... you get alot of oppurtunites to go on boats (MEUs, etc.)... but just pray you dont get stuck at a training squadron (never deploy) or reserve squadron... i was previously at new river like i said, but after returnin from iraq, i was voluntold to head up here to PA to a reservist squadron where i work everyday just like in the real fleet, but also come in on drill weekends and school up reservist Marines... i know some boots up here that this is their first duty station, and more than likely they will never deploy... reservist units deploy every four or five years... so as far as can you do anything to assist you in gettin in a deployable squadron? no, just know that miramar loves to deploy! so ask for west coast after you finish A & C school... after that, its all up to the big dogs with shiney stuff on their collars...

Quote Originally Posted by mlmoore07 View Post
    dude, im an avimech... youre stuck where ever they put you... all squadrons will deploy at any MCAS... i was at new river and we, as a MALS, just got back in january from a year deployment... most squadrons deploy for 6 months at a time, and most mals deploy anywhere from 6-12 months... all depends on rotations... you get alot of oppurtunites to go on boats (MEUs, etc.)... but just pray you dont get stuck at a training squadron (never deploy) or reserve squadron... i was previously at new river like i said, but after returnin from iraq, i was voluntold to head up here to PA to a reservist squadron where i work everyday just like in the real fleet, but also come in on drill weekends and school up reservist Marines... i know some boots up here that this is their first duty station, and more than likely they will never deploy... reservist units deploy every four or five years... so as far as can you do anything to assist you in gettin in a deployable squadron? no, just know that miramar loves to deploy! so ask for west coast after you finish A & C school... after that, its all up to the big dogs with shiney stuff on their collars...
    LOL,

Johnstown? So you're with MWSS-471 then, eh? I am assuming your I&I. I've never heard of guys getting volentold to go I&I, usually its guys who have deployed a bunch and need a break, or have some sort of family issues and command was magnanimous enough to let them go I&I if their is a unit near home.

There is a chance that you could get stuck with a training squadron. They don't deploy but I bet with some initiative you could get transferred to a unit that does deploy. I was O level with HMLA-267, Cobras and Huey's. We always had MEU's going out or just a deployment to Oki or the sand box. It wasn't uncommon to get guys from a training squadron before a deployment to increase our numbers. We called it getting plused up. Now that the Marine Corps has more Marines they might not do it anymore but they damn sure did it while I was in. I use to say that MAG-39 only had 2 combat ready HMLA's out of 4 because before anybody deployed there were always a bunch of guys moving in to get that units numbers up. We just didn't have enough Marines. If all 4 had gone to war at the same time I have no idea what we would have done.

hussaf,

no, i am with HLMA 773 DET B... HUEY & COBRAS... and yeah, im on I&I voluntold... didnt request orders up here, i liked the real fleet way to much to leave and come to this gaggle****...

Quote Originally Posted by mlmoore07 View Post
    hussaf,

no, i am with HLMA 773 DET B... HUEY & COBRAS... and yeah, im on I&I voluntold... didnt request orders up here, i liked the real fleet way to much to leave and come to this gaggle****...

Provided you have the experience necessary to perform your job that if you were to request deployment you could possibly get transferred to a unit preparing to deploy.

Do a chain of command request to your XO, then CO if necessary and see what they might do for you. If nothing suits you, you can always go higher up the ladder.

Thread Information