Navy Corpsman?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy Corpsman?

Navy Corpsman?

Ive been researching this MOS in the navy, i was looking at doing infantry in the marines a few weeks ago but im coming around to the idea that its not going to help me alot when i get out of the marine corps in skills unless i want to become a hitman, and i was looking at the medical field in the army but their not really calling me like the marines are and i dont want to sit around at a desk and help people, i want to be with marines on the frontlines no other branch calls me like them and i want to serve my country with marines infantryman. so then i was talking with my uncle and he said to research Navy Corpsman

I saw that they are the medics towards marines unit and now im really thinking about calling a navy recruiter, im asking this in a marines forum though because i want to know from any current marines if they have had Corpsman serve with them? Will i be able to ask to take the combat medic side instead of the Hospital side? Im not sure if Navy MOS's are guaranteed but i would hate if i joined and they decide if i was going to be put with a infantry unit or not. I would like to help out marines unit's only and i would like some training in a field that could translate to maybe a nurse etc when my enlistment is up and i see this MOS kind of being a win-win situation for me

I'm sure another Marine will be along to answer your questions.. but when using the words Marine or Marine Corps, they will be capitalized at all times.
    You may want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeloon200 View Post
    Ive been researching this MOS in the navy, i was looking at doing infantry in the marines a few weeks ago but im coming around to the idea that its not going to help me alot when i get out of the marine corps in skills unless i want to become a hitman, and i was looking at the medical field in the army but their not really calling me like the marines are and i dont want to sit around at a desk and help people, i want to be with marines on the frontlines no other branch calls me like them and i want to serve my country with marines infantryman. so then i was talking with my uncle and he said to research Navy Corpsman

I saw that they are the medics towards marines unit and now im really thinking about calling a navy recruiter, im asking this in a marines forum though because i want to know from any current marines if they have had Corpsman serve with them? Will i be able to ask to take the combat medic side instead of the Hospital side? Im not sure if Navy MOS's are guaranteed but i would hate if i joined and they decide if i was going to be put with a infantry unit or not. I would like to help out marines unit's only and i would like some training in a field that could translate to maybe a nurse etc when my enlistment is up and i see this MOS kind of being a win-win situation for me
    Yes, it would be a win-win; and this topic has already been covered just recently so search a little.

Yankeeloon200,

If you want to be a Marine, see a Marine recruiter. If you want to be a Hospital Corpsman ,see a Navy recruiter.

You can only be guarenteed HM 8404 "C" school with a reserve contract. Active duty only HM "A" school is guarenteed and you could be assigned to where ever the Navy needs you.

If you talk to a Navy recruiter you need to know what to ask,as most will not have details and probably don't know that all training is going Tri-service April 2011 at Ft. Sam Houston. See link to for more info and ask questions there if needed.

http://www.corpsman.com/forum/

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Marines have Corpsman. The Army has medics. If you are interested in being a medic go see an Army recruiter. Yes the Army will guarentee you the medic MOS.

Um, a hitman?

A nurse? Drop your purse and be a paramedic.

Anyway if your in decent physical shape and you want to get a medical career after Military service, I would look into Air Force Para-Rescue. Long and tough school, but you become a certified paramedic after the course. I know if I was interested in getting into the medical field this is route I would have taken.

Being a Navy Corpsman is a great gig. Sure there is no 100% in life. But from everything I have read males who want FMF are not having a tough time.

But you have to be ready for anything. Just as if you had joined the Marines. You could join the Marines for infantry and then find the needs of the Corps having you doing something not directly in the infantry.

So in short you could not flip out if at some point you are on a ship giving medical care to sailors.

The nicest thing about being a Doc is how much flex you have in what you do. Some Docs have served as patrol leaders (vietnam) for or walked point on USMC Recon Teams.

There are very few Marines in this world that can make that claim or have had that opportunity.

Its a high risk job. Especially if you find yourself on the tip of the spear in combat. But if you do your job you will be eternally loved.

And if you make it and get to a reunion year later I expect a standing ovation with crying Marines when the Docs are announced.

Its that kind of job.

Credits
    Savings
    If I had to do it all over again I would have shipped over to the Navy after my first enlistment to become a corpsman. CQB is right about Para-Rescue but from what I've seen and heard about the program it is extremely difficult and I think takes almost two years to complete. Since it is the elite of special forces in the Air Force I would assume it is very competitive, but it might be worthwhile to investigate all options.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Corpsman are cool. It would have to be a pretty pathetic unit if they have to put their doc on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Corpsman are cool. It would have to be a pretty pathetic unit if they have to put their doc on point.
    Its a 4 or 8 man team. A small team. And stuff happens on a small team that does not happen in the rest of the infantry or the rest of the Corps.

Walking point? Docs in fact served as patrol leaders. How many I have not a clue. More than one for sure. But maybe not many more. (Doc Norton was at least one of those Docs)

I'd say that Alpha 3rdRecon was not a "pathetic unit". But then I am a bit biased.

But I got to do darn near as much as I wanted. I never walked point all that much. 3 or 4 times at most. But at the times I did it I was one of the more experienced hands on the patrol.

And I did it because I wanted to do it. No other reason.

I found that if you raised your hand quick enough you could do some stuff most just dream about. Walking point was not nearly at the top of that "interesting stuff."

Doc

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The older we get the better we were. I wasn't out there with you so I take your word as true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    The older we get the better we were. I wasn't out there with you so I take your word as true.
    I could care less if you take my word or not.

You were not recon you were not VN. So at least as far as this discussion you have zilch first hand experience.

If you had been you would not have even blinked at what I said.

I will say it again. Navy Corpsman on recon teams at least in VN got to do stuff most Marines only dream about. The nature of the war. The nature of the small Team.

I cannot speak for the Docs on recon teams today. I have no idea what they are doing or not doing. But back in the day........

Quote Originally Posted by CQB0316 View Post
    Um, a hitman?

A nurse? Drop your purse and be a paramedic.

Anyway if your in decent physical shape and you want to get a medical career after Military service, I would look into Air Force Para-Rescue. Long and tough school, but you become a certified paramedic after the course. I know if I was interested in getting into the medical field this is route I would have taken.
    Yea, i have actually been looking to be in Pararescue since i was in middle school, but the standards are probably the highest out of any training in the military branches and right now i think their is a 98% wash out rate. i love helping people and i truly do LOVE helping people thats why im interested in the medical field, and Pararescue Mens motto just say it all... and parachuting is my favorite hobby, i definitely plan on making it a career if i try out for it.

But right now ive made my decision and its my goal to become a Marine first, serve my country as a 03XX and protect the freedom of the American people, and that my friend is worth more then any paycheck the world can give me. If i still here that Pararescue call after my Marine enlistment i will try out and hopefully 03XX will help me in the goal to become a Pararescueman Physically and Mentally, but right now the Marines are my calling and i will take it from their...

Thanks for the answers Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    I met a Navy Corpsman at Camp LeJuene's Wounded Warrior barracks (when my FD went there) that was the Doc in a STA Plt. He told me that he had gone to Scout/Sniper school and was an active member of the team when out on missions. He was wounded when the insurgents opened up on the building he and his team were observing old IED blast sites from. While the team was leaving the house to get to the extraction point the insurgents set off an IED buried in the sidewalk severely injuring every member of his team and himself.

"He told me that he had gone to Scout/Sniper school"

I am not sure how many docs have become school trained USMC snipers. But I have read of some.

I on the other hand could not hit the side of a barn if I was inside the barn.

Thread Information