mos 6842
Create Post

Thread: mos 6842

mos 6842

I have been in the DEP since the first of Feb., and as soon as I got back me and my recruiter sent in a job request for aviation mechanics. It still has not come back yet and that makes me a little worried that I didn't get the mos that I wanted.

Last week my recruiter comes to me and tells me that their is a 12,000 dollar bonus attached to the mos 6842! I did some research on the job but am still not sure what the actual work is like. The schooling looks like a challenge but I can handle that. I would like to know more about the job in general though before I make a decision. Thank you

Peter

This is a 6842...
    6842 --METOC Analyst Forecaster

United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors
    FIELD 60/61/62, AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/606162.htm

You could also do a search on the site for aviation mechanic......
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/se...archid=2826125

Well i am the resident 6842 here on the forums. There are 3 different types of stations you can go to.

1) MCAS stations: non deploying; Flight plans for local area and if at hub(Miramar, Cherry Point, or Iwakuni) does forecasts for region

2) MWSS: Deploying does job of stations but at FOBS(in country air stations)

3) Intel Bn: (I am here) Groundside weather for the grunts and such. Deploys alot we currently have most of the shop out on deployments.

In garrison not deployed Intel and MWSS just does training to improve forecasting skills. Stations do shift work for the most part a senior forecaster at Miramar per se when i left would work a full 24 hours but then get 3 days off while the junior's would work 0700-1630 for 2 days then work 1630-0700 for one night then 2 days off then another night 1630-0700 then 2 more days off. All stations do it different but that is how Miramar does it.

School: for a pog school there is alot of PT so make sure your good to go. The Air Force side is 7-8 months long(they are currently redoing the curriculum) and then you have the Marine side of the school bout a month an half. Over all with the waiting it will be about a full year for a Junior Marine. It is a very hard school there actually is a very high drop rate for junior marines while the NCO's generally have a 95% GPA and no drops as of yet.

The MOS itself is Forecasting depending on where you go will determine the type of forecast you'll do. Stations and MWSS will write "TAFS" go to adds.aviationweather.gov and go to TAFS and put in KNFG (Camp Pendleton) and hit enter that will be the forecasts they do. none of this is secret or sensitve as it is general aviation weather. Intel Bn does forecasts similar to what you see on TV with 3-8 day forecasts but have done up to 14 days in very simple no code format for the grunts.

any other info just ask and i will answer.

Also i was an aviation mechanic i latmoved (changed jobs) I did work on the F/A-18 Engines so i can tell you bout the engine mechanic schools

Current MOS: 6842
    Former MOS: 6227

Last edited by WXSgt; 06-15-10 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Update

Thank you for the info WXSgt. I would like to hear more about your experience in the aviation mechanics side of things. It is still my first choice mos and I'm not sure if I am cut out for the 6842. Thank you again for your time.

Honestly I loved my time as a 6227, howver, the problem with that specific MOS is that its non promoting maybe 1 person getting Sgt every year. So i spent almost 5 years as a Cpl. The school is in NAS Pensacola for basic school then you would go to another school for your specific platform. for example my second school was in NAS Oceana in VA beach, Va but it is also on NAS Leemore, Ca.

if you sign up for aviation mechanic it would be an AF contract option which leaves you for powerplants(engines, what i got), airframes, ordinance, ground support equipment, and parachute/ejection seat guys. you dont choose which you get. i was lucky and got exactly what i wanted aside from the station choice. while in school i got to pick if i wanted jets, helos or props; O level(working on components on the aircraft) or I level (working on specific components more in depth while off the aircraft, me again) and station east coast west coast or overseas. after common core(basic engine theory and physics) you go to your strand for me Jet strand. I graduated school in pensacola and found out i had F404 I lvl (f-18 engines) so continued to oceana. In the C school theyre called you learn more about your specific job. total school for me was 2 months with 2+ months waiting for me.

On the job experience again for my MOS was daily work 0700-1630 minimum as we were usually working later to catch up. you have to meet build quotas. we had civilians that helped at miramar but in iwakuni no such help. from any aviation mechanic job you have CDI's which are inspectors and there is a ladder for them to. they are quality assurance guys making sure the parts that you build or the work you do is up to par with the publications that you WILL have out if you are doing the work. this is now another MOS on top of the first that you get.

anything else PM or ask im here to help.

On another side note i tried to get out in 2008 however in the current economy they are not hiring many aviation mechs and pay if you do get a job is not too terribly good and you would have to buy your own tools. 6842 there is alot of jobs bot military and civilian that you can do and pay is alot better. secondly with all the credits youd get from the 6842 school all you would need is a few more credits and youd have a bachelors degree from the Community college of the Air Force which would help you get a masters or higher in the same field.

How long is the typical deployment for a 6842? And what type of math are we talking about here? I heard that there is more science than math but wasn't sure if that was true or not.
    As a side note, my wife was wondering on what the housing situation was at the school. And also how frequent are deployments going to be for a 6842?
    Thank you.
    Peter

I got ordnance. I hated it. Going back in the reserves to be a grunt. If I never set foot on an airfield again I'll die a happy man. Another thing to consider is that you may not get to choose the type of aircraft, I figured I was going to get F-18's but I got Cobras and Hueys. Totally different world and completely different jobs. I have heard that fixed wing ordnance doesn't do much besides load bombs where on the Cobra side it was 80% troubleshooting. I was a very good troubleshooter and I was practically an AVI guy. Once at CAX a few of us Cobra guys traded places with Hornet guys just for fun, both sides were completely lost. That's how different the jobs were. Ordnance often gets to go out in the field and to the loading area( called the CALA ) where we are by ourselves. The other guys don't get to do this. The only time I had any real fun were in the field or at the CALA. Other than that it sucked. That is my opinion and as stated above is not the opinion of every Marine. Some guys loved it others hated it.
    Don't let anyone fool you, the Wing can work some insane hours at times. Actually a lot of times. Your amount of time off depends on the flight schedule and the birds. If the birds play nice and do what they are suppose to then life can be good, if they act up then life can suck. Any more questions I'll be glad to answer. The Wing can be fun and rewarding at times it just depends on your personality. I can totally see why some guys love it. It just wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pmvdh View Post
    How long is the typical deployment for a 6842? And what type of math are we talking about here? I heard that there is more science than math but wasn't sure if that was true or not.
    As a side note, my wife was wondering on what the housing situation was at the school. And also how frequent are deployments going to be for a 6842?
    Thank you.
    Peter
    Ok heres the deal with deployments as a 6842 typically is 6 months in country 7 months on a boat with the previous few months doing "field time" so basically out for a week or 2 at a time practice runs. and again deployments depend on the type of station you go to and where. currently the heavy deployers are Intel Bn's which again im part of but AT MOST you will do 6 out 6 back, but again that is at most you may remain behind for moreso than 6 months. if you get a station they never deploy literally. mwss i believe its 6 months out 1.5 years back because they have a more limited job and are on an east west rotation.

The math and yes alot of science is say progging a cold front youd take 80% of the 850mb winds 1-2 degrees behing the front to determine speed of the surface front and for warm fronts same but 1-2 degrees ahead of the warm front. sounds difficult but when you see the picture and all its really not to terribly hard. again this is only one example.

Housing. well since school as a 6842 is so long you get a house to live at with your wife. I am married with no kids and I got a 4br 2.5 ba townhome 1700+ sq ft. The housing was just rebuilt after katrina so most of it is brand new. best housing well probably ever see as Marines and its free as its military housing. now if you went Aviation mechanic because the school is so short you would be separated from your family until you graduated. and btw the school for 6842 is in Biloxi, MS on Keesler AFB. Ohh and btw E1-E5 are all in the same housing and the smallest they have is a 3 br 2.5 bath

I'm a little confused about the deployments? Is it 6 months in country then home for six? Or is it 6 in country then 7 on ship before you go home?
    Do you get to pick your section in the 6842? Or is it assigned to you?
    My wife and I thank you greatly for answering some of our questions for us. This is really helpful in making decisions. Thank you again!
    Peter

Deployments vary regardless of your MOS. You can't just say, well this MOS only deploys 6 months and this one deploys for a year. And sometimes they tell you 6 months and then say surprise we meant a year, hello Okinawa. Most deployments are from 6 to 9 months give or take. Now some MEU's deploy for a year but most of the times, at least in the Wing, they have enough volunteers so if you don't want to go you don't have to. Most Marines like to deploy every once in a while at least. It's a chance to do something new and usually the rules relax just a bit so you get a chance at some fun. The key to deployments is to remember the needs of the Corps come first. Just to give you an idea of what you might be doing I'll list mine. Remember I was O level. Months may not be exact but close.
    Jan 03 to June 03. Deployed to Kuwait for OIF
    Sep 03 to July 04. Deployed to Okinawa.
    March 05 to Sep 05 I was on a MEU.
    Of course mixed in there are a bunch of dets that I can't begin to remember. Most dets are only a couple of weeks and most of the time they are fun. Keep in mind that the war in Iraq had screwed up the deployment schedule. But we could get into another war so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by pmvdh View Post
    I'm a little confused about the deployments? Is it 6 months in country then home for six? Or is it 6 in country then 7 on ship before you go home?
    Do you get to pick your section in the 6842? Or is it assigned to you?
    My wife and I thank you greatly for answering some of our questions for us. This is really helpful in making decisions. Thank you again!
    Peter

Currently for 6842's it is at the very least 6 months out 6 months back home. meaning youll be in country for 6 months but home for at least 6 months. however due to the east west rotation it is 6 months in country 1.5 years home. there are some exceptions such as a SSgt we have in country now that has to do 1 year in afghanistan because we dont have anyone experienced enough to replace him. and also with Intel Bn at least here on Pendleton we are short on people somewhat so even if you do go on boat you may go on boat in another 6 months. So as such for the most part new Marines WILL get a minimum of 6 months home after their deployment.

Sections: for initial accession students aka you youd only get to pick east west or overseas it is like this for most all schools. I suggest you come to an Intel Bn first get your deployments out of the way early that was you can go to a station later and relax a little you know?

What should the mindset be for when you go to boot camp? Should you go in not know anything and just let the flow take you, or should you learn everything you can?
    Peter

Knowing your General Orders would be a great start.

Check this thread out in the poolee forum. Even though it was originally started in 2006, the info provided may help you out some.
    Recruit Training Survival Tips
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...=33597&page=13

Also, do a search on the site, and check out the stickies in the poolee forum for more info.

Thread Information