Sky Diving
Create Post

Thread: Sky Diving

Sky Diving

Hello Marines, I was wondering if their is anything i can do in the marine corps that is sky diving. I leave for boot in 5 weeks and have a set mos already but though it might be good to know. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mwhite732 View Post
    Hello Marines, I was wondering if their is anything i can do in the marine corps that is sky diving. I leave for boot in 5 weeks and have a set mos already but though it might be good to know. I love it.

First Marine Corps is always in capitalized just helping you out there

To answer your question there are several jobs that will allow you to "Jump" out of planes. Probably the most common is Force Recon which is the Spec Ops of the Marine Corps. Second you could get into something like Air Delivery, some of those Marines get jump qualified, and get there gold wings. Plus if you get picked at SOI, or MCT you could go to basic Jump School and get your Silver wings which is what we call the led sled. You don't have to be on a full jump time status to earn your silver wings. Also if your real good you could get a slot in Military Free Fall school, which mostly consists of HALO jumps. Which would be high altitude jumping. That school is pretty hard core, and hard to get picked for. It has very limited slots. I'm sure someone with more experience than me can fill you in more on actual training, etc. I'm not jump qualified

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you don't have a jump billet, it is unlikely you will get a seat at jump school on a first enlistment. You might be able to finagle a spot as a re-enlistment incentive. But, since you still won't be in a jump billet, you won't get jump pay and it is unlikely you'll get the additional jumps to earn the Navy jump wings (gold).

Unless you are in a billet that requires HALO/HAHO parachuting (recon, generally), getting that specialty school is most unlikely.

However, sport parachuting as an off-duty hobby is always an option. Many military people are sport parachutists (including people on military jump status). I did it for a while when I was in the Corps. The jump center had parachutes for rent, so I didn't have to buy. I'm sure that is still a common practice.

No, sport parachuting does not qualify you for military jump wings.

I heard parachute rigger gets to go to jump school.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post

Yes, they do.

Great answers. Thanks Marines, and sorry echo im usually good about that xD.

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    They get basic qualification, yes (the silver wings), because it's important that the people responsible for making the 'chutes have a good understanding of how they are utilized.

After that, however, riggers are unlikely to do additional jumps during their career or to earn their gold wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    They get basic qualification, yes (the silver wings), because it's important that the people responsible for making the 'chutes have a good understanding of how they are utilized.

After that, however, riggers are unlikely to do additional jumps during their career or to earn their gold wings.
    the guys that pack the chutes in the MALS? i never saw them with wings. Maybe just the Parachute riggers for personnel not the ejection seats.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    the guys that pack the chutes in the MALS? i never saw them with wings. Maybe just the Parachute riggers for personnel not the ejection seats.

No, not aircraft seat mechs, just the personnel chute riggers.

Beltyan, I knew several riggers while I was in and they did get to jump periodically since they are assigned to units with jump billets. They all had their gold wings. Of course that was in the 1970s.

When I was in Jump School a few years back (maybe 2007) there was one reenlistment bonus Marine (a total tool, actually), a grip of recon guys (cpl and below), one rigger, and some Lt. Col and a couple of Majors (pretty sure they didn't need jump qual). The rigger guy was under the impression he would be jumping periodically as he, of course, was going to be assigned to a recon unit. The recon guys were not sure if that was true but said it made sense from what little they knew. ANGLICO, some guys in RADBN, and a few other support MOSs go to Jump School. I don't know if support guys at MSOB all go to jump.

Thread Information