Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flag Day

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Flag Day

Flag Day Today

Seems to be forgotten by most in our country but I somehow doubt it will be forgotten here

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't said nor thought about this for some time

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
    of the United States of America,
    and to the Republic for which it stands:

one Nation under God, indivisible,
    With Liberty and Justice for all.

God Bless America

Re: FLAG DAY !

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Flag Day Today

Seems to be forgotten by most in our country but I somehow doubt it will be forgotten here

God Bless America
    I haven't heard anyone mention FLAG DAY, in many years.I've wondered at times, (fleeting thought.) when we stopped celebrating It. Thanks for the reminder, DAN . S/F!! Ken

This Monday, on Flag Day, Americans across the country will pause to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. The Pause for the Pledge, which occurs at 7 p.m. EDT, was started in 1980 by a small group of patriotic Baltimore business leaders. It has since evolved into a national event, with communities and organizations across the country conducting their own Pause for the Pledge.

The National Pause for the Pledge normally takes place at Fort McHenry in Maryland, but because of ongoing construction, this year's national ceremony will take place at Oregon Ridge Park in Cockeysville, Md.

Most schools and children dont even know the pledge of allegiance nowadays as it has "God" in it and there is a separation of church and state. I remember everyday when i was a kid we would say it.

Observance .

Quote Originally Posted by oscrmyr View Post
    This Monday, on Flag Day, Americans across the country will pause to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. The Pause for the Pledge, which occurs at 7 p.m. EDT, was started in 1980 by a small group of patriotic Baltimore business leaders. It has since evolved into a national event, with communities and organizations across the country conducting their own Pause for the Pledge.

The National Pause for the Pledge normally takes place at Fort McHenry in Maryland, but because of ongoing construction, this year's national ceremony will take place at Oregon Ridge Park in Cockeysville, Md.
    I recall, observing FLAG DAY when I was in grade school TOP. That could have been just local then, but we did have our little ceramony, IN SCHOOL, and we also said our morning prayer. We had a fence around the school, to keep the dinosaurs out. S/F!!! Ken

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    Most schools and children dont even know the pledge of allegiance nowadays as it has "God" in it and there is a separation of church and state. I remember everyday when i was a kid we would say it.
    Same here Sgt.
    It just is not taught anymore in school.
    Dang shame.
    My oldest at home is in Head start
    but they will all learn The Pledge.

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    I recall, observing FLAG DAY when I was in grade school TOP. That could have been just local then, but we did have our little ceramony, IN SCHOOL, and we also said our morning prayer. We had a fence around the school, to keep the dinosaurs out. S/F!!! Ken
    Ditto Brother

Credits
    Savings
    Mine is flying.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just quizzed my kids and they all say the pledge every day first thing in the morning. DOD schools might be the exception to the rule though. I don't know.

ya we did the pledge and anthem everyday non DOD when i lived in michigan then friday was macarena day lol back in 96 then when i got to georgia i dont remember saying it ever again

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Flag Day Today

God Bless America

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Credits
    Savings

Red Skelton

I remember as kid watching Red Skelton recite the Pledge. When he was through he told of how the words Under God were added in 1954. His comment on that addition were to prove prophetic

" Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance: Under God. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer, and that would be eliminated from schools, too?" Red Skelton

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Happy flag day to you all.

Simper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    I haven't heard anyone mention FLAG DAY, in many years.I've wondered at times, (fleeting thought.) when we stopped celebrating It. Thanks for the reminder, DAN . S/F!! Ken
    My pleasure Ken. I asked my class today, populated with History and International Relations majors what today was. Several wise a$$'s said it was Monday. Another said it was a pop quiz day. Not one knew it was Flag Day. And only a few even heard of Flag Day.

It's sad, they are all in their early twenties and not one had even heard of the Pledge of Allegiance. Simply was not taught to them while they were younger. I recited it to them slowly, explaining what each word and phrase meant to me. I hope they got the message because it's going to be on their final exam in two weeks

Dan

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A battle cry for those of us who still remember the old ways. I hate to be the one who always has to be the downer in the crowd, but its too damn important to me to just let it slide by without saying soemthing. You are all a special breed, those of us who served in the old corp, and those of you who served after us, were Marines, that means something, its one of the few things today that still actually makes people take notice when we speak, just saying it in a crowd will garner the attention of all within ear shot. Know your history, tell the young about it, spread the word on it, dont let it die and then be partially the cause of it being lost. If you have small ones, never let them be like those older kids who didnt even know the pledge of allegiance, my God what have we allowed to take place here in the greatest nation on the planet, we've got to get it back now before its lost forever. Please for your childrens children and the future of our nation, speak, teach, preach the history we have forught and bleed and died for. Thank you.

Thread Information