0621 Field Radio Operator
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

0621 Field Radio Operator

Hey im new to the forums and i see alot of former/future Marines here first i just want to say thanks for serving this great country and i hope i can become a Marine one day like you.

So my question is what is life like for a 0621? ive been talking to my recruiter about 03XX for a few months and ive decided though this is the heart and soul of the marine corps that this is MOS isent really what i wanted. then i was interested in this MOS (0621) he was a TOW Gunner in iraq so he pretty much met alot of them and said their attached to artillery/infantry units most of the time and that report data back to base, and that their life expectancy is 5 seconds (was joking and not joking at the same time). and that their a huge target humping the most gear out of anybody. Im interested in this MOS because im not really the right guy to go all out frontlines blood bath combat against the enemy, but i do want to support the infantry unit in some way and i dont want to join the marines to do some boring ass desk job ( and im deciding between this MOS and Corpsman in the Navy to be attached to a infantry unit in the marines)

Can anyone provide more insight on this MOS? couldnt really find any in depth info on this MOS.

Its also nice reading material supporting the marines, its nice seeing people supporting my decision for once instead of hearing my family every day saying how much of a stupid decision it is to consider the marines and how their "gun fodder" etc.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It's hard to really answer your question because after going to Com school (boot camp -> MCT -> com school), your life could be very different depending on where you're stationed and with what unit.

For example, a radio operator in a Communications battalion could have a very different life than a radio operator in a Comm platoon in a grunt/infantry unit.

Even if you end up in an infantry battalion, you could have a very different job. Some RO's (radio operator) go out with grunt platoons during patrols while others are back at the main base doing various com jobs. In my unit (infantry battalion), every infantry company had 2 radio operators attached with them. They were still part of the com shop/platoon but lived with the grunts, trained with the grunts, went to grunt formations, etc.. They handled all of the radio inventory, provided radio support/tech, and also got to do most of the same training that the grunts did. For example, if the grunt company was a helicopter/helo company, the RO's would do the same type of fast roping training as the infantry guys.

Now if you get sent to a Communications Battalion, your job will be totally different.

From what I understand, they do give people choices of where they want to go at the end of Com school. After talking to a few of my friends that were Com guys, it sounds like it mainly depends on what they have open. You could ask to be in 7th Com in Okinawa, Japan and end up in a Pendleton in an infantry battalion.

I can't tell you the specifics about the MOS, I'm mainly just explaining how the job could be totally different depending on what type of unit. There really isn't a generic answer.

How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to....and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

Also, when using the words Marine or Marine Corps, they will be capitalized at all times.

And try using some punctuation marks were needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulatori View Post
    It's hard to really answer your question because after going to Com school (boot camp -> MCT -> com school), your life could be very different depending on where you're stationed and with what unit.

For example, a radio operator in a Communications battalion could have a very different life than a radio operator in a Comm platoon in a grunt/infantry unit.

Even if you end up in an infantry battalion, you could have a very different job. Some RO's (radio operator) go out with grunt platoons during patrols while others are back at the main base doing various com jobs. In my unit (infantry battalion), every infantry company had 2 radio operators attached with them. They were still part of the com shop/platoon but lived with the grunts, trained with the grunts, went to grunt formations, etc.. They handled all of the radio inventory, provided radio support/tech, and also got to do most of the same training that the grunts did. For example, if the grunt company was a helicopter/helo company, the RO's would do the same type of fast roping training as the infantry guys.

Now if you get sent to a Communications Battalion, your job will be totally different.

From what I understand, they do give people choices of where they want to go at the end of Com school. After talking to a few of my friends that were Com guys, it sounds like it mainly depends on what they have open. You could ask to be in 7th Com in Okinawa, Japan and end up in a Pendleton in an infantry battalion.

I can't tell you the specifics about the MOS, I'm mainly just explaining how the job could be totally different depending on what type of unit. There really isn't a generic answer.
    Thanks, if asked i would most likely, like to be put with a infantry battalion thats the main reason why im looking at the job.

and to WMarine i just filled out the profile information for future posts, thanks for letting me know

sffinnegan,

You may say you wish to be attached to a grunt btl right now, but wait till you go to bootcamp, through combat training, and com school. If at this point in time your still motivated to be in the infantry btl more power to you. I myself was in one of the toughest grunt units in pendleton. I spoke with alot of Horno guys and they were happy they were there instead of my area of San Mantaeo.

Either way I will share what I had happen to me in the grunts. As the previous Marine stated you go through bootcamp,combat training, comm school, then you get your orders and go to your unit. If you are in a all male class in palms take a guess on where your going . If you have women in your FROC (Field Radio Operator Course) with you, then you may end up going to Cherry Hill or something. The grunts is not easy by any means, even in the comm shop of a grunt btl you were running 8-10 miles a day, doing 20 mile hikes almost every weekend because some jack ass decided to go out and drive drunk. I Barely slept. Fights are a common occurance, and you will become very familar with the idea of hurry up and wait. As for gear, yes our gear is heavy and is about what the grunts carry, maybe a little more.

Now for the one's that are not in grunts, I only know that for the most part the grunts make fun of them, and our NCO's use to run over to their hootches and wake them up when they fell asleep. Basically are NCO's told us not to be fat and nasty like them.

If you have any more questions about feel free to shoot me a email here

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do you mean San Mateo?
    Which is the toughest grunt unit?

The baddest of the bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Do you mean San Mateo?
    Which is the toughest grunt unit?
    The toughest unit in the Marine Corps varies from time to time depending on the personnel. First Marine Division is the largest, oldest, and most decorated unit. When I was in, (Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, out of 29 Palms California) we were by far the baddest of the bad. We won super squad challenge. Especially 3rd Platoon 2nd squad 1st team!! (that was my team) we won all squad and team evaluations. We were untouchable and known throughout the corps and the world. they called me the "Beast" for a reason

Oh, and we were the first in country in Iraq and the main effort in many of the major assaults.

The Marine Corps will put you where it needs you. Infantry or Comm or W/e.. I'm a RO, but I've also done Motor T and also worked with Cooks. You don't always do your job.

And being a RO in a Grunt unit isn't as rough as your recruiter made it seem. Our life expectancy is no longer "5 seconds" It's just as long as any other Marine outside the wire. Don't let that discourage or encourage you to be a RO, just be a Marine first.

I'm a radio operator in a Victor unit (infantry battalion). Basically all the advice they gave above is correct.

I've worked mostly in the comm shop handling all serialized gear etc, but my deployment to Afghanistan started out by standing radio watch in the COC, watching radios in the antenna hill, etc. 2 months in, I was switched over to Guard force and went on patrols nearly every day and stood post guarding the FOB we were at.

Your life will differ at all times. Good luck.

its a great job ,no matter what other say. I started in Bco 29 palms in 1978 as a 2531 old MOS. did good in the course and got a follow-on course 2534 which was the old AN/TSC 15 H.F. van. important thing is to widen your operator and technical background. i did and got into networking later , massage center and technical control. did cross-training with the navy guys in the radio room on ship. all these years later i am a contractor working communications inn afghanistan ,iraq. sometimes lucky and support Marine units,like 7thy and 8th comm in Falluja in 05-06. its a good field always changing. best of luck in school.

Everyone ha said it. We can't give you a typical day. Whether you are wing, grunt, support, intel BN. It all changes. My buddy went to 1st Intel. They work 5hrs a day with like 3 hours lunch breaks and never go to the field. But I am in a line Co and constantly out in the field. Hours vary and lifestyle varies

2 things just noticed this thread is old. And Dizark which website had the NATO ISAF? Myarmedforces didn't have that so my signature is rocking the regular NATO.

Good info though for future searches.

2533-Field Radio Telegraph Operator

I graduated with RTOC-14 in February ,1970.We were the first class that did not go 100% WestPac(Nam)since 1965.We were all pretty happy about that.I KNEW that I was going to die with a radio on my back and failed to make that spiritual leap to religion.Pretty depressing ****.Nixon saved my young ass with the withdrawls.Timing is the essence of life.I went with the Wing at Beaufort,S.C. .I skated for a year.The lifers would play pinochle all day while the snuffies were left to their own devices.We could sleep on the battery boxes or check out to the P.X.-just as long as we made our formations.We were all ready to mutiny when the Top ordered us out to play volleyball one afternoon.We had our our comm shack in the boonies at the end of the runway away from prying eyes until the surprise inspection by base C.O. .Things changed quickly.

Thread Information