What is it to be the parent of a Marine? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon
    I was asking if I could legally disown them.
    The Marines here don't have the answers to everyones problems.
    You should talk to a lawyer.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dillon is 18-years old. He has no need of emancipation as he became emancipated the moment he turned 18. No legal advice needed.

Take charge of your life, Dillon. If your home situation is that bad - get out of it ASAP. Enlisting in the Corps is a good first step. Meanwhile find a crash pad and earn honest money to support yourself.

I went to boot camp, and subsequently served in Vietnam, with a young man who grew up in similar circumstances. His parents signed off so he could enlist at 17. He had zero love for his parents, although was still on very good terms with one of his grandmothers who had tried to shelter him from the worst his parents threw at him. Grandma helped twist his parent's arms so he could enlist.

He thrived in the Corps and became a superb Marine. He was given assignments not often given to barely 18-year old PFCs, even in a combat zone (he drove flat-bed semi-trucks carrying aircraft bombs). Once he kept driving through the middle of a mortar attack with a load because he figured he could drive out of the impact zone faster than they could re-adjust. He was right. Ballsy kid. Never drove really fast as he had a couple of sharp turns to make that would have dumped his load with too much speed. Got meritorious L/Cpl out of that one.

He chose not to put his parents on his SGLI (military life insurance), instead he listed his grandmother as his beneficiary. 100% totally his choice. As it can be yours as to your beneficiary is. You could even name a charity if you want (been known to happen).

He was also one hell of a pool player and an excellent friend. He was very well respected by everyone he worked with or for, enlisted, NCOs, and officers. Last I heard, he had re-enlisted and was a SSgt well on his way to a long career.

If Dennis could break through a crappy childhood and do as well as he did, so can you. It takes a positive attitude and an absolute belief that you are turning a new page on your life and the writing is fresh.

Try not to shut your parents out of your life after you go in. Write to them periodically, even if they don't write back. Tell them about your successes, promotions, awards, etc. Let them know you are turning into somebody good and successful. Maybe they will wake up. But someone has to be the adult in this; it might as well be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Eh it might be teenage drama, if it is then I'm sorry, but I thought that stuff only lasted for a few months, not years. The car answer was just an answer, I could care less about it.

Either way, this thread no longer provides any answers for me, I've got my answer... yes I can. So if the mods want to lock it or you guys want to let it die, go right ahead.
    Dillon -- that is the life they have chosen for themselves and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. You just have to accept it for what it is and move on and create the life YOU want for YOURSELF. Stop playing the victim.

So where are you in the recruitment process?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    Try not to shut your parents out of your life after you go in. Write to them periodically, even if they don't write back. Tell them about your successes, promotions, awards, etc. Let them know you are turning into somebody good and successful. Maybe they will wake up. But someone has to be the adult in this; it might as well be you.
    Leave it to Chris to give the proper answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Leave it to Chris to give the proper answer.
    oh, so what the hell was mine then?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Dillon -- that is the life they have chosen for themselves and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. You just have to accept it for what it is and move on and create the life YOU want for YOURSELF. Stop playing the victim.

So where are you in the recruitment process?
    ... and leave it to Troy to give the proper answer.

(sorry this reply was late, but I was saluting)

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    ... and leave it to Troy to give the proper answer.

(sorry this reply was late, but I was saluting)

Holy Sh!t -- LMFAO!

BTW - nice salute

Hey Dillon, I am a father of 3 boys, one a new Marine just graduated SOI today . The other two 15 and 13, too young to kick out of my abode. I as a parent, recommend that before disowning your mom and stepdad ,stay on the track of joining the Marine Corps, complete MCRD bootcamp take a huge deep breath, thank God to be alive in the USA, thank your DI's for putting up with your crying and smelly feet for 13 weeks...then and only then, ask yourself are they really that bad or were you just at that perfect place in life to become A Marine ! Take care Dillon.

Last edited by lanced333; 06-11-10 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Marine Free Member
    Gulfbreeze, 15miles outside of Pensacola.
    Credits
    Savings
    I've hated my parents for a very long, long, time now, they're complete alcoholic, redneck, moronic, and quite frankly downright despicable. None of them are supporting me joining the Marine Corps, that's good, because I didn't ask for their support.

But, if they can't support me becoming a Marine, then I firmly believe that they shouldn't even claim to be the parent of a Marine. They've never done anything for me, I got my morals from my grandfather.

So... is there like some legal way I could disown my family? I've given my whole life so far at the bidding of my parents, I will not give them the right to call themselves the parent of a Marine though. When they did nothing to deserve it.

My parents have never been that bad, but my dad is an alcoholic, so I might know a thing or two where your coming from. As for my mom, she is a worry wart. I'm flippin 19 years of age, and she still calls me baby... WTH!? IDk, I just graduated HS, got my hard earned deploma, and currently, with the job market, I cannot get into a job, my life is headed nowhere at the moment, and I've always wanted to become a Marine. My grandpa Veron Leroy Bryant was a Marine, (served in the Pacific Theater) He died before I was born, I think he was in his late 70s. I have nothing to go by but stories from my other awesome grandparents.

I think its time I grow some, and just go enlist, but I am doing this P90X, so It will make it a lot easier on my body during boot. As for finding a family, the Marine Corps is all I need, and then some. Although, I'm not saying that I am disowning my parents, I think of the Marines as my home away from home. GL, and stay safe!

I've hated my parents for a very long, long, time now, they're complete alcoholic, redneck, moronic, and quite frankly downright despicable. None of them are supporting me joining the Marine Corps, that's good, because I didn't ask for their support.

Did you ever stop to think as to why they drink and all of that other stuff?
    Like you might be the cause of it.
    When you leave they might sober up and be happy.
    Think about this.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by why me View Post
    Did you ever stop to think as to why they drink and all of that other stuff?
    Like you might be the cause of it.
    When you leave they might sober up and be happy.
    Think about this.

Before anyone can give the least amount of credence to this so-called answer, you must follow the site rules and post a completed profile.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Dear Dad,

No mun

No fun

Your,
    Son

Dear Son,

To bad

So sad

Your,
    Dad