Decisions, decisions!
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Decisions, decisions!

I have a LOT of questions. The hubby is about two months away from having to make a decision of whether or not to stay in the Corps. He's really up in the air and leaning toward staying in... but as far as options go, if something got thrown in his face for massive amounts of money and the prospect of not deploying again, I think he may take it.

This got me thinking about a lot of things... and I was searching and ended up with post after post of "I got back in!" or stuff related to that, not really what I wanted.

1. How does the whole get out for education thing work? I was told that you can terminate early so that you can begin a new semester of college.... Please elaborate or link me to a post! --also, how does terminal leave go into play with that?

2. applying for jobs with your EAS quickly approaching.... How does that work too? I noticed in some job announcements that you have to either a. be on terminal leave to apply, or b. be employable within 90 days of hire. --does this mean that you can't base your decision to get out on a job that is offered to you?

3. Does anyone know where DECENT housing is around the Ft. Meade area? It looks like we may get moved there.. possibly, if he DOES re-enlist and I've been looking and most looks like crap--or is WAY above BAH rates. We will not live on base b/c I refuse to get rid of our dogs (german shepherd and german shepherd/pitt mix) AND our cats (2).

Any GOOD and PRODUCTIVE answers would greatly be appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Stay In!!

He has the perfect Marine Spouse.

Give it at least one more shot.

STAY IN IT TOOK ME 6months to find a half way decent paying job and that was in 92!!!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Stay Put
    He has a Job which most likely will not "downsize"

Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe View Post
    ...as options go, if something got thrown in his face for massive amounts of money and the prospect of not deploying again, I think he may take it.
    Is that quote pertaining towards lucrative active duty military options ...or private sector occupations with massive amounts of money thrown, perks and such?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Unless he has a lucrative offer in hand right now, I recommend that he stay in the Corps. If he has a boat space, he should be good for at least four more years of employment.

Not to mention the medical and dental benefits. It's a ****ty time to be unemployed and being a Vet doesn't currently help much in getting a new job.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Not sure my advice is welcomed but if your husband has the chance to do his twenty, please encourage him to do so. I'm assuming when he gets out, he'll be between 38-44??. Plenty of time to start a second career. Hell I'm on my third!!

The benefits are enormous both to you as a married couple and later on in life. He will receive half his pay less taxes etc for the rest of his life. This will increase yearly with COLA. His Tricare benefits are, in my opinion, the best in the US. Don't need to worry about D.C. passing any health plans. You'll have the best that's available

Don't know his/your situation but consider the future. It's nice to have a cushion to fall back on if things go south and they do have a tendency to do so!!!

Good luck to the both of you

Dan

THAT IS VERY GOOD ADVICE CMDR.O'SHEA, I COULDN't HAVE PUT IT ANY BETTER SIR.

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by gehrij View Post
    Stay Put
    He has a Job which most likely will not "downsize"

Yep and a guaranteed paycheck every two weeks. Now is not the time to HOPE you can get a decent job on the outside. BTW, you didn't say what he did for an MOS in the Corps. Lots of jobs don't necessarily convert to civilian employment. Good luck though.

If he has reached the 10 Yr. threshold, its too late to give it up now. The other 10 Yrs. is down hill and will fly by.

The retirement check will be coming in rain or shine before you know it. I would guess he would only be around 38 when he retires and maybe by then the economy wil have emproved and jobs will not be as scarce. At thirty eight he will still be young enough to do what ever he desires or even attend school.

I don't know how the medical works these days, but both my wife and I are on medican and prime for life since reaching 62 and have never had to pay a cent for medical care during that time. Perscriptions are only $3.00/$9.00 each which is really good.

Good luck to ya.

Ok, just to clear things up, the question was not whether to stay in or not, it was about the options.

He has been in for almost 5 years (he had a 5 year enlistment) and he's in the IT field. Civilian equivalent jobs on DOD employment sites are making anywhere between 75-120k/year with benefits. It's a HUGE sector that is hiring, so he's not limiting himself as far as options go--plus he's one of the best at what he does and has the credentials to back it up.

I would really like to know some answers to the questions I've asked. I'm sure you guys all know us spouses like to fret and worry about things that we can't control--like policy and procedure that takes a lifetime to figure out from reading MCO's.

Housing around Ft. Meade, MD? Getting out early due to school? These are the things that make my mind wander about all day.

Oh yeah, he was also 21 when he entered the Corps. Like I said, the decision to stay in or not, I've left up to him. I told him I'd support him through anything. He's leaning toward staying in, but if he finds something he wants, he'll probably take it.

Any answers to 1. 2. or 3?

Oh, and Al, you're a sweetheart but I'm FAR from perfect hahaha! (I still can't seem to get pie crust right.)

I'll chime in on this...In the beginning of my husbands enlistment, he changed his MOS twice...when we got to the 6/7yr mark, he again had to change his MOS or get out. We stayed, he went to Comm school. I don't know the MOS #, and it has changed over the years. He has been in for almost 17yrs, we are so close to retirement. Dobbins, your so right about the salary equivlant. My husband has friends who did thier 4 yrs, got out and are now making double and sometimes triple what my husband makes, doing the same job. BUT, here's why I'm glad he continued to stay in, besides the medical/dental benefit, everytime technology updated over the years, He would have to go back to school and learn the new stuff. I don't know how all the Comm schooling will transfer to the "real" world, but I know he's not behind in education.
    The point is this....He has had a succesful career in the Marines, his MOS will transfer to the civilian world and he has made all kinds of contacts with other Marines who are in the same MOS and know him. At this point, he's padding his resume. So in 3yrs or so, when he retires, he'll already have job contacts in place. We wont have to worry about medical/dental, and we will be able to practically pick where WE want to live.
    I hope I've helped a little bit or at least shined some light on your situation. I wish guys the best! and I'll post an easy fail proof pie crust recipe in the "recipe swap thread"

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Just remembered that I wanted to give you a little info re the Ft Meade area. We lived in N. Virginia when I was stationed at the Pentagon, very expensive even for an O-5

I'd suggest looking east of Ft Meade but I think Annapolis is very pricey. One thing to remember is that the area is one gigantic traffic jam from 06:00-09:00--15:00-19:00 You don't want to live south toward the 495 beltway nor north toward Baltimore and BWI Airport. East is your best bet. No matter where you live, rents and groceries will most likely be higher than where you are now.

See that you're from 'Bama so you're familiar with high humidity, you'll find it as well in Maryland.

Hope all works out well for you and your husband

Dan

Thread Information