No longer the longest War - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War
    The United States entered the war to prevent a communist takeover of South Vietnam as part of their wider strategy of containment. Military advisors arrived beginning in 1950. U.S. involvement escalated in the early 1960s, with U.S. troop levels tripling in 1961 and tripling again in 1962.[19] U.S. combat units were deployed beginning in 1965. Operations spanned borders, with Laos and Cambodia heavily bombed. Involvement peaked in 1968 at the time of the Tet Offensive. After this, U.S. ground forces were withdrawn as part of a policy called Vietnamization. Despite the Paris Peace Accords, signed by all parties in January 1973, fighting continued.

Also see:
    http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/vietnam/

The American Legion recognizes 2-28-61 thru 4-7-75

Quote Originally Posted by archlarch View Post
    I never even heard of Vietnam when I enlisted in 1963. I remember seeing a bulletin board notice in my barracks in early 1965 asking for "volunteers" to go to a place called Vietnam. A little while later, I ****ed off my CO for "requesting mast" and got orders to ChuLai in Nov. 1965. Showed up in-country March 1966 after ACT at Camp Pendleton.

I had a senior class in HS of some sort (Spring 1963). We had a little discussion of VN and ---what is a VC----was on the final (I got the answer correct)

But a little later I did read of a MOH action and a very little more in the press that I remember. Nothing at all in boot camp. Maybe a tiny little bit in Corps school. Maybe.

It was late fall I think of 64 that I came to really hear of VN.

And then like you an announcement.

This one posted at the Lejuene Hospital asking for vol's for FMF and a future assignment. Not sure how they actually identified the future assignment but everyone that read it knew what it meant-----Vietnam.

And Vietnam it was.

After I put my name in the hat I am not sure I have ever been as happy, excited, and nervous at anytime in my life.

Credits
    Savings
    Never heard or paid much attention, until that mean ass DI Sgt told the whole lot of us one day we were all gonna die in VietNam.

Had really no clue what he was talking about, but I think we locked in a bit better after that.

Thread Information