No longer the longest War
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

No longer the longest War

As of Fox News today announced that the brother fighting in Afghan has surpassed the Vietnam War. They have been fighting there for 104 months. I always thought my war was 13 years long ? Our DC Monument states so 1959-1975 therefore, what is fox news talking about ??? Can we get some clarification. I know some Nam vets believe the war was only 1968, others like myself believe it began in 1963-75, I can see this becoming an issues among Nam vets, our monument in DC says different compared to what the news is saying.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Maybe they are referring to combat operations and are not counting the time when we sent advisors? Combat ops in Nam didn't "officially" start until 1965. Philip Caputo wrote a great book about those days. Anyhow, leave it to the press to rewrite **** how they want it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

I remember Phil's book and your right F**Kum don't mean nothing, they sure know how to **** off Nam vets.

Why would I be pizzed off?

The Wall pizzes me off.

Conflicting dates for a war that was never declared, thus has no official staring time, seems a silly thing to be bytching about. And bothers me not at all.

For most people the start of the war is March 1965. That is when it went from being an advisor action to a war.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    war never started in nam...was a police action if i remember right.....want to compare something...compare KIAs

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My Father was an Advirsor in French Indo China with MACV In 1962

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I think its because the first major combat operation started in 1965. I think most combat units were gone by the end of 72.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billy collins View Post
    I think its because the first major combat operation started in 1965. I think most combat units were gone by the end of 72.
    1968 was the worst year , with 13 thousand K.I.A.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Not a police action Congress has it as officially a Conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    war never started in nam...was a police action if i remember right.....want to compare something...compare KIAs

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    was when i was there lol

When did the Vietnam war ever end, hell i know Vietnam Vets that are still fighting that war ever day and night, same as the Korean vets and WW2 vets..War is war it never ends for those of us that fought in it..

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    My Father was an Advirsor in French Indo China with MACV In 1962
    I too was with MACV in 1962. Is was not "our" war at the time. We were issued passports and were there on "official business". The rest is history.

I think LBJ's "Vietnam Era" began Aug 4, 1964.

This reminds me of when I was sitting in Baghdad in May 2003, I think it was, listening to a radio broadcast over the CNN HMMWV we dragged with us where Bush was annoucing that the war in Iraq was over.

Not sure what Iraq he was talking about but it certainly wasn't the one I was in at that moment.

I never even heard of Vietnam when I enlisted in 1963. I remember seeing a bulletin board notice in my barracks in early 1965 asking for "volunteers" to go to a place called Vietnam. A little while later, I ****ed off my CO for "requesting mast" and got orders to ChuLai in Nov. 1965. Showed up in-country March 1966 after ACT at Camp Pendleton.

regardless of what war is longer. This is kind of sad. Not really a record we wanted to see get broken..

Thread Information