New Rifle
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rifle

Credits
    Savings

New Rifle

Those of my era will remember the SLR. 7.62 with heaps of stopping power, 20 round magazine, gas operated, weighing 9.5 Lbs, capable of accurate fire at 300m and group fire at 600m over open sights.

The British soldier has been through the saga of the L12A1/ SA80 in the past 20 years, hurling a 5.56 bullet.

Finally the powers that be have reverted to a weapon that will make the rag-heads keep their chuffing heads down and may even penetrate the mud those barstewards hide behind. Guess what? It weighs about 11Lb, has a 20 round magazine, is gas operated, and chucks out a 7.62 round. I rest my case.

The image is of a Para displaying the new weapon. Needs must.

British troops are to be issued with a new infantry combat rifle for the first time in 20 years to cope with the fierce fighting conditions of the Afghan war.

The Sharpshooter will use larger 7.62mm bullet rounds in order to engage with Taliban fighters over longer distances. The change comes after the military found that the standard Nato 5.66 rounds lost velocity at ranges over a thousand feet.

The 5.56 rounds, used by the SA80 rifles, had proved adequate in previous conflicts in Iraq, Kosovo and Sierra Leone where much of the exchanges had taken place in urban battlegrounds. However, in the valleys and mountains of Afghanistan the insurgents often start shooting matches at distances of up to 2,500 feet. The Taliban, on the other hand, are using guns which can date back to the 1890s but have proved to be effective over further distance and their simpler mechanism makes them easier to maintain. Around 400 of the new rifles have been purchased for £1.5m from funds available under Urgent Operational Requirements (UORs) and will be issued to the most proficient shots.

US forces in Afghanistan have also encountered the same problem with firefights over distances and are currently in the process of modifying some of their M-4 rifles to take the 7.62 rounds which were last used in the early days of the Vietnam War, before being replaced because they were considered too unwieldy for close-quarter jungle warfare. IEDs (improvised explosive devices) have become the chosen weapon of the Taliban, accounting for 92 per cent of recent UK and allied deaths in the conflict. However, the two latest British fatalities, Corporal Terry Webster, 24 and Cpl Alan Cochran, 23, of 1st Battalion The Mercian Regiment were killed in a gun battle at Nahr-e-Saraj in Helmand.

Successive waves of foreign forces in Afghanistan have experienced difficulties with gunfights in the harsh terrain and conditions. British and Indian troops of the Raj found during two Afghan campaigns in the 19th century that their Brown Bess muskets – the most advanced weapon of its kind at the time – were no match for the long- barrelled flintlock Jezzails used by Gilzai tribesmen.

Soviet soldiers fighting in the 1980s found that their AK-47 Kalashnikovs were outgunned in long distance ambushes by the bolt-action Lee-Enfield and Mauser rifles used by the Mujaheddin. Colonel Peter Warden, team leader of the Light Weapons section at the MoD's Defence, Equipment and Support department, said: "The Sharpshooter rifle is very capable and [will] fulfil a specific role on the frontline in Afghanistan. It is a versatile weapon which will give our units a new dimension to their armoury."

British forces have also started receiving the first batches of shotguns for close combat. They will be used for clearing compounds in the rural areas.

British rifles

1720s-1830s: Long Land Pattern Musket is standard issue for the British Empire's land forces.

1776: Pattern 1776 infantry rifle is designed. One thousand are made and issued to British soldiers fighting in the War of American Independence.

1800-1815: Baker rifle is used in the Napoleonic Wars. It continues to be in service in the British Army until the 1840s.

1836: Brunswick rifle, a muzzle-loading weapon, is introduced to replace the Baker and remains in production until 1885.

1888: Magazine rifle mark I is the first British rifle to incorporate a bolt action and a box magazine.

1916: Pattern 1914 rifle is produced by three US firms after British manufacturers delay production during the First World War.

1939: Rifle number 4 mark I is adopted just after the beginning of the Second World War.

1957: Soldiers begin using the L(12A)1 self-loading rifle, a British version of the American FN FAL.

1976: Britain begins trialling prototypes for the 1980s programme, which aims to create weapons to replace the L(12A)1 and the Bren gun. SA80 rifles have since been standard issue.

2010: Marines in 40 Commando begin using Sharpshooter rifle in Afghanistan.

This link takes you to a page showing the SLR with info.

http://tinyurl.com/2ulyqkx

Credits
    Savings
    7.62....best caliber...

Outstanding!
    Would love to get my paws on one of those

Marine Free Member 3BadgeMarine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    A nice bit of kit! 'Ragheads' beware? Aye

I had so much fun shooting with the Royal Marines. They run good ranges. The times in the bar watching them get naked when someone yelled "naked bar" wasn't as fun! But overall my time spent with Marines from 40 commando was very enjoyable.

Credits
    Savings
    The 'Naked bar' routine entered the lexicon after my time, fortunately. I'm certain that Jim wouldn't look too marvellous without his kit on, neither would I; come to think about it I don't look too clever with my kit on.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Played bump heads with the brits in Diego Garcia. You're either tough or stupid to drink a shot then slam heads... then do it all over again. I think my brains fell out that night.

We did get to go through fam fire with several british weapons. I'll be danged if I can remember what they were. One was a 7.62 machine gun that they actually buried in sand then dug it up and fired a whole belt without a malfunction. The other was a 5.56 rifle that seemed to be made mostly of plastic and when you fired it on full auto the whole dang thing started smoking.

Credits
    Savings
    One day you will be introduced to the best game this side of Nagasaki, "Spoons." Unfortunately if I divulge the rules, etiquette and danger quotient on here, I'll be excluded from the chapter and have to return my spoon.
    Here's one of the latest intake two days after his ordeal.

'Nuff said.

Credits
    Savings
    [quote=Rob Parry;654064]Those of my era will remember the SLR. 7.62 with heaps of stopping power, 20 round magazine, gas operated, weighing 9.5 Lbs, capable of accurate fire at 300m and group fire at 600m over open sights.

The British soldier has been through the saga of the L12A1/ SA80 in the past 20 years, hurling a 5.56 bullet.

Finally the powers that be have reverted to a weapon that will make the rag-heads keep their chuffing heads down and may even penetrate the mud those barstewards hide behind. Guess what? It weighs about 11Lb, has a 20 round magazine, is gas operated, and chucks out a 7.62 round. I rest my case.

British troops are to be issued with a new infantry combat rifle for the first time in 20 years to cope with the fierce fighting conditions of the Afghan war.

The Sharpshooter will use larger 7.62mm bullet rounds in order to engage with Taliban fighters over longer distances. The change comes after the military found that the standard Nato 5.66 rounds lost velocity at ranges over a thousand feet.

You youngsters ever hear of an m14 "REACH OUT AND TOUCH SOMEONE"
    I'll stick with my antiques thankyou.

Marine Free Member 3BadgeMarine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hell Robert! I still prefer the rifle I was issued with in 1947 when I was a brand spanking new recruit, the Le-Enfield.Aye

Yes I know the work space is a bit of a mess 'the cleaner had the day off'?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I've got a Mk-IV Martini-Henry (with sergeant's bayonet) that should do a nice job at 500 or 600 meters. Automatic fire with it requires A LOT of dexterity, but the bullet puts a hurtin' on whatever it hits.

I like that SMLE, 3Badge. It can put a spanking on too at distance.

BTW, Rob, did anyone ever tell you that you are ill? Funny as hell, but ill. Don't lose your spoon.

anything will be better that that POS. SA80 Mk1... Mine kept falling apart, and if you farted in the wrong key it would jam

Credits
    Savings
    Coming back to spoons ................ way off topic

Usually played with a pair of metal dessert spoons, but the hidden one is a ladle. Very very funny to watch, real bladder emptier if you are having a beer or three while watching, it's so funny to see the bewilderment on the recipients face. It helps if he's stubborn, and thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Parry View Post
    It helps if he's thick.
    you called?

Thread Information