Chu Lai Corpsman 1965
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Chu Lai Corpsman 1965

Any Corpsman out there who servied in the area of Chu Lai, Vietnam in 1965

Frank, can't help you. I was there during your time but we operated out of DaNang.

But I'd be interested if any Docs do show up that were there during your time.

A lot of my buddies that graduated FMSS with me (June-July 1965) ended up in the ChuLai area.

Thanks Lynn2 for your quick reply. I was on a search and destroy mission on June 18, 1965 and received a punji wound to my right knee. Corpsman dressed wound and when we got back to base camp, he asked me if I wanted to go to the field hospital. I told him no, they were busy working on guys with their guts blown apart. Coprsman administered eight stitches in the field. Fortunately, the punji struck my right knee bone and deflected off of it and tore open the flesh. He put in eight stitches in a "cross" (+) pattern. Still have the scar. My understanding is that Corpsman tag wounded with an "evac tag" which stays with the wounded unitl he reaches the medical facility. Since I was not evaced, I don't recall getting one of them (a tag). Would he have given that to me or would he have turned it in. Problem: Not on my medical record and being refused the PH. Any thoughts. Thanks

Frank, I did not work with the infantry so I cannot tell you for sure how they did it. But the only time I filled out a evac tag was when I was going to evac someone. VC or Marine.

I never remember having a WIA that stayed out with us on patrol. But I know for sure I would not have filled out a form at that time nor when back in the rear.

I would have made it know though at the BAS. But in my case we are talking small numbers. One of maybe 7 guys on a mission. Not like the numbers and the confusion your Docs might have had to deal with.

Does your unit have a web site or a forum? Do they have reunions? Finding a site where your guys might read would be the way to go. You might find someone who remembers that day and can back you up.

Good Luck

Lynn2, I've tried three times to respond to your message and it will not go through, stating I am not authroized (?). I've logged in correctly. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to continue this conversation via private e-mail. If you don't mind and if you would, please just copy your last response and send it to my via my private e-mail (doverite06@yahoo.com) and I can explain further. So far you seem to be the only one who knows what I am talking about. Thanks, Frank. Semper Fi

Now look, ater three attempts, this one finally goes through. Can't figure it out. I don't have time to retrype my response (heading for church) but if I don't hear from you via personal e-mail, I will respond later today. Thanks again. Frank Semper Fi

Anyway, I'm back. I wrote a much longer response last time but too much info. Back to your last message. I was not in the infantry. I wa a supply man, but back in early 65, we didn't do much, if any, focusing on supply. I spent most, if not every night in a fox hole around the perimeter of the Chu Lai airfield. So, my situation is much like the one you described. All of the patrols and search and destroy missions and other ops I went out on were with small groups made up of a few guys from various units. An infantry unit would be going out on patrol and they would ask area commanders for a couple extra hands to go with them. So, the mission I was on that day was made up of a squad size group of Marines that were not familiar with each other. It was always a mixed bag of "bodies" from different units that went out to areas where small groups of VC were spotted...things like that. So, I would have no idea who the Doc was on the mission with us that day and I doubt he would recall me. I hardly remember the names of most, if not all, of the guys in my particular unit. We were alsways separated in those earlier days. I got the idea of the "evac tag" from another Marine on another forum. He was having problems with records and verifying his PH. He was in the same situation. He was wounded but not serious enough to be med evaced but enough to rate the Heart. When the Corpsman finished up with him, the Marine asked him if he could have the evac tag since he was not going to be medevaced. The Corpsman gave it to him. Years later he was having problems verifying his PH and he still had that tag and he sent it in to BCNR and that was enough to verify and he got his PH. You say you would have notified or reported to the BAS (forgive me but I don't know what that is). Anything could have happened in my situation. The Doc could have been KIA, forgotten to send it in, sent it in but it was lost, records destroyed, who knows. Any number of things could have happened. From my research, just about everyting you can imagine went wrong with records in those days. BCNR has been fighting me for four years. They want two written eyewitness statements that actually saw the incident occur. IMPOSSIBLE. I have no idea what the names were of the guys or the doc that were out there with me that particular day and I'm sure they don't remember me. I did find my old squad leader who was a Corporal then but retired a Major several years later. He can't even help me even though he saw me after the Doc bandaged me up, he was not out on the mission with me and didn't actually witness me getting wounded so BCNR says no dea. They are being pretty nasty about it. This is not the only problem I'm having with them either. I've located at least six or seven errors and omitted information from my records that are very important to my service in Nam (wrong dates, three TAD assignments not recorded, and my medical page is empty from the time I left CONUS until I returned home in 66). Thing is, besides the wound, I visited the field hospital on two other occassions, one for a rash around my waist (received ointment) and one time after I stepped on a rusty nail protrudng from a broken pallet and punctured a hole in my right instep. I even got a tetanus shot for it. Neither of those treaments are on my record. They even have the date I left Okinawa to go to Vietnam wrong. I have unit rosters putting me in Chu Lai in early March 65, but my records say I arrived in May 65. Even my former squad leader (Cpl then, Major now) has verified that we arrived in Chu Lai in early March but BCNR won't change anything. They are being pretty stubborn about the whole thing. It's a real mess and I'm not going to give up until my records are made whole.

Frank, I can see where you will have a problem. I did that sort of patrol, a mixed bag of people who did not know each other and would not patrol again together, for a week when I first got to VN. I can see that no one would remember anyone one else 45 years later.

Maybe some of the Marines here who have dealt with this sort of thing in the past may have a better idea. I sure do not.

BAS=BnAidStation That would be where the doctor I reported to for medical stuff was located for me. And where the medical records of our Marines were kept.

Good Luck

Frank you may want to ask for advice on the Open Forum. I am not sure how many Marines read on this one. Someone may have a good suggestion for you.

Thanks my friend. It feels even better just knowing there are others out there that understand what I am going through. You've been a help whether you know it or not. I'll keep plugging at it Thanks for listening. Semper Fi

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by doverite06 View Post
    Any Corpsman out there who servied in the area of Chu Lai, Vietnam in 1965

Frank

Not a Doc nor a Marine but I do have a few friends at the Pentagon and DoD. Both suggested you send a registered letter to Dean Pfeiffer, Executive Director of the BCNR. Pester the SOB with info. What do you have to lose? They have already turned you down. Also, it was suggested you post in Leatherneck Magazine, American Legion mag and VFW as well in the Looking for Info or Help sections. State your case!

What you need Frank is someone who will corroborate your story and after 45 years that won't be easy. Keep at it Marine. I wish you all the best. If anyone deserves a PH, you do.

Dan

Comander. Thanks for the info and the support. Dean Pfeiffer....hmm! I have a box full of documents and letters going back and forth between me and BCNR and several of those letters (most) are signed by either Pfeiffer or L.W. Freund. They both have been telling me NO for over four years. They refuse to give me a personal audience with the Board and not only are they refusing to approve the PH, which I earned and THEY lost the paperwork, but they won't even do anything about the mess in my records which I have sent them all kinds of proof of. In fact, they have "hinted" on more than one occassion that some of the documentation I've sent them is "not authentic". What's that all about? How could I make that s**t up? BCNR is one f the most difficult departments/agencies I've ever dealt with in my life and I've been around the block a time or two. "ester" the SOB. I've pesterd those two guys and BCNR so much over the past four years, I think they are probably considering coming after me for harassment. It's unbelieveable. In fact, I'm at the point where I don't think they even read my letters anymore. They refuse everything I send them and believe me, most of the info I've had to gather has been very difficult to come up with and it has cost me a lot of valuable time and money too. Still, I get the same response back from them, no matter what I send..."although you have provided additional informaton about your case, it is NOT MATERIAL". What's that mean? EVERYTHING is material. At the end of April, I sent them a packet containing somewhere around 150 pages of documents, letters, support information, all ofi t and not even eight days later I get the same response....NOT MATERIAL. It usually takes them about six months to respond to a letter with three pages of info attached. Yet, they expect me to believe that they've actually done something to look into the over 150 pages of info I sent them in just eight days? NOT MATERIAL. BULL!! I'm keeping at it. I've told them that I am never going to let up until my records are made whole and I will go to my grave still trying if they don't fix it. I'm very reluctant to go to magazines and "forums". I was even reluctant to post on this site. You won't believe the number of "doubters' out there that are just waiting to come down on you and call you a fake even without even knowing you or anything about you. I've had it happen. I've ben to the VFW, and all the others, including Congressmen and Senators. They don't help as much as people think they can. Very reluctant to intervene and they say they cannot influence the BCNR's decision. Unfortunately, the BCNR is the place where they all end up referring me to and it looks like they are the LAST STOP. No appeal to their decision. Must be nice to have that much power. Most of the guys on that board were probably in grade school or junior high when I was in Nam. Anyway, I certainly appreciat you're advice and support. Even though you are not a jarhead, you deserve a Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Frank

Well it seems as if you butted heads with Pfeiffer and his cronies. Next step for me would go the political route. You connected in any way? Know somehow in Tenn who knows Someone?

I'd put that package together, find out who your Rep. is in DC , (forget local Pols) and email and call. Tell them you are sending all the docs they need or could ever want. If that doesn't work kick it up the CoC to the US Senate. Hell thats' what they are suppose to do, help their States citizens. I know putting all this stuff together is time consuming and expensive but you earned that PH

Also, PM one of the Mods on here and get this moved into either Ask a Marine or Open Squad Bay. You'll get more visibility, more readers. And post in Looking for Leatherneck forum. If you can remember anyones name, they may be here or may know someone whose knows someone etc. Not many read all the forums, only the ones they are interested in

" Even though you are not a jarhead, you deserve a Semper Fi!"

Thank you Marine, that means a lot

Dan

Last edited by USNAviator; 06-07-10 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ....WELL....since I'm a FVCKING FMF Doc, guess I'll put my two cents worth....right in the STEW!
    SPECIFICALLY: the DOD has a "procedure" that a Vet must go through, to VERIFY wounds received during combat action.
    FIRST: the Vet MUST have at LEAST three "witness statements", of men who were present during the incident.
    SECOND: the incident WILL be on the Vet's 201 file, and in the after action report, for that day.
    THIRD: there IS a medical paper trail for EVERY individual WOUNDED IN ACTION......ALWAYS!!
    After action reports, are sent to the Bat HQ, and logged in as daily "events", in the company notes.
    HOW DO I KNOW ALL THIS SH*T???? I went through the process last year, and STILL have NO answer!
    BEST OF LUCK, FRANK!!

Credits
    Savings
    "I've ben to the VFW, and all the others, including Congressmen and Senators"

Sorry Frank, did not catch that when I suggested going the political route unless the above mentioned were only on the State level??. If you've tried the National level as well and you are still SOL then I'm stumped. I sincerely wish I could offer some better advice

Dan

Well my best advice is do not send 150 pages of anything. No one is going to read that.

If you can't out it in a page or two its not worth reading.

Seems to me you have had a run of really bad luck. Hard to believe bad luck.

No PH record for a wound but then you say you never went to a BAS or Field Hospital? You were never seen by a Navy Doctor or had the stitches removed?

You medical records for the entire time you were in VN are now blank?

You have a BSM wV but for some reason no record in your SRB?

No record of other medals in your SRB such as the PUC?

Most if not many of the dates for when you went to and/or left VN are off by months?

No record of any details to other units in your SRB?

All documentation and your actual BSM was destroyed in a basement flood at your home?

Two questions here that might help clear up things a little: What unit where you actually assigned to in VN?

What action or operation was going on in June 18th time period that would result in all those heavily wounded Marines with guts hanging out etc that was filling up the field hospital?

Thread Information