Hiking?
Create Post

Thread: Hiking?

Hiking?

Right now my goal is 28 miles, 50lb pack, 8 hours. Too high or low? I am not sure as to what an infantry Marine would hump. I read an article in a newspaper from a nearby town, that some Marine Corps recruits did a "motivational hike" of 6.2 miles, with "MOLLE gear", right before shipping to boot.

I am at 15 miles, 40lbs, 4:30. I recently started.

There are plenty of nice hilly backroads around here to walk on.

Yes, I will talk to my recruiter about all this stuff. But I would like some second opinions.

Thanks again,
    Phillip

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    28 miles in 8 hours with full gear is a pretty lofty goal. It can be done using the tried and true walk for 50 minutes and stop for 10 method. You can go that far without chow but you can't without water.

Carry water and lots of it. More power to ya.

"15 miles, 40lbs, 4:30" You're ahead of pace and waaay ahead of the poolee pack. Don't wear your joints out humpin stuff you don't need

Stopping for rest is the absolute worst part of a hump. It's probably also one of the most important parts (avoiding injury). But after each break you take you will definitely feel it. Your entire body will be stiff when you get ready to take off again.

There really is no grand advice one can give for humping. Drink water, don't walk in traffic, watch your step if you aren't on pavement. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Did a 63 in 23 and one of the few times I've ever argued with a senior. He said sit down and I said no thank-you. I carried the radio the whole way. Stopping .... cool sitting down ok getting back up you feel like you've been yanked through a key hole then ran over by a steam roller. Weapons outboard, scan the area. We did get a chow break. 1 effing orange per squad. 13 jarheads try to figure out how to split an orange.

If I were you, I'd be wearing neoprene knee sleeves on those knees. Neoprene retains the body’s natural heat to help increase circulation and decrease knee pain. You don't want to ruin those knees, or the rest of your body, before you begin your journey to become a Marine.
    And as already mentioned, stay hydrated.

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday! We have the same birthdays....May 23rd!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    13 jarheads try to figure out how to split an orange.
    someone humped the whole orange
    and only got to sample a wedge? THATS NOT FAIR

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You crack me up Dave.
    S-4 in their infinite wisdom staged a crate of oranges for a battalion of Marines. I think I ate a orange peel.

Yes, I will watch my knees and back closely.

Once I get up to 28 or so miles, I will only do it on a sustainment level.

And yeah, I like walking the backroads ... Lol.

Well it's good to see a poolee who would rather hump the outback than pose with a paintball gun

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    A-Hiking we will go...

(Sing to the tune of "A Farmer in the Dell")

A hiking we will go
    A hiking we will go
    On the trail and ready to go
    A hiking we will go

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hi Ho the Dairy-oh ... a hiking we will go

You could also try shorter humps with heavier loads.. For the 15 k for the crucible way I had around 85 and I think the one at mct was around ...some guidlines for early USMC training for you to use

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip H View Post
    Right now my goal is 28 miles, 50lb pack, 8 hours. Too high or low? I am not sure as to what an infantry Marine would hump. I read an article in a newspaper from a nearby town, that some Marine Corps recruits did a "motivational hike" of 6.2 miles, with "MOLLE gear", right before shipping to boot.

I am at 15 miles, 40lbs, 4:30. I recently started.

There are plenty of nice hilly backroads around here to walk on.

Yes, I will talk to my recruiter about all this stuff. But I would like some second opinions.

Thanks again,
    Phillip
    Phillip, that's pretty motivating! Humps were something I did not at all expect when I went into training. I wish I had trained beforehand like you are now. I actually want to incorporate a "moto hump" into the training regimen for our pool. My Capt. is a little iffy about it because of the safety factors. As WMarine mentioned, be safe, because there are a lot of little injuries that you can get that will take you out of training for awhile. No sense delaying or even forever losing your goal of rating the Title over training stupidly.

Best of luck,

Geagle

Woo! I love hiking. Sound off '31s! I <3 the .50 cal 20k hike at ITB. 2 weeks to graduation.

OP, You are doing great hiking wise. Just don't hurt yourself before you get there and remember that you won't be hiking until 2nd phase (if you are going to SD, sorry, didn't look at your profile). Start finding some hills to hump, then find some steep hills, then find some really steep hills. You will be ready for the hikes. If you are going to PI, I don't know what the terrain is like; I have heard swamp, I don't know about elevation...

Thread Information