Another MOS question
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Another MOS question

Hi Marines,

I have a quick question- sorry if this has been covered somewhere else in the forum. If you absolutely want Infantry to be your MOS, choose not to sign an open contract, and are a college graduate with a very high ASVAB score is there a good chance you will be denied your preferred MOS for something more applied to your major? I'm not trying to sound too cool for school or smarter than anyone, I just think that being a grunt is a particularly badass job. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by guy; 06-01-10 at 10:44 PM. Reason: respect!

How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to........and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Hi Marines,

I have a quick question- sorry if this has been covered somewhere else in the forum. If you absolutely want Infantry to be your MOS, choose not to sign an open contract, and are a college graduate with a very high ASVAB score is there a good chance you will be denied your preferred MOS for something more applied to your major? I'm not trying to sound too cool for school or smarter than anyone, I just think that being a grunt is a particularly badass job. Thanks a lot.
    Ok, Ill bite. Tell your recruiter you will not sign anything until he guarantees you a 03xx contract. If it doesnt say Infantry on it, dont sign anything!!!! You might also want to look into Security Forces if you have a clean back ground. It will give you a security clearance and a wider variety of schools vs a victor unit. Just try to get FAST. NO ONE wants to be stuck in PRP

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for your input. I will certainly keep that in mind!

"is there a good chance you will be denied your preferred MOS for something more applied to your major?"

You sign a contract for 03 and then once you are in they give you some other MOS because you are of all things a college grad with a high test score? Is this what you are asking?

Are you assuming everyone else in the infantry will be stupid and the Corps will not think you a good fit?

Its called a contract for a reason.

And any service that signed contracts with its recruits and then routinely broke that contract would soon get a reputation as a service you could not trust.

I'd not worry about it. You will get 03 if its in your contract. Hope you enjoy being a badass.

Having a college degree won't really matter with an open contract. It will be you asvab score that plays more of a role. Like CQB said, if you want 03, only sign an 03 contract.... And be prepared to wait a while, probably spring next year at the earliest

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    HAHAHAHA! Just because it's a particularly bada$$ job? Are you serious? You definitely have a preconceived notion of what a Grunt is.

Would a Grunt please school this one?!?!?!?!?!

Credits
    Savings
    Ok, I'll ask the question, why not go Officer?

Credits
    Savings
    I probably should have chosen to word that part differently. I’m sorry, I meant no disrespect to Infantry. I was actually trying (failing) to express my admiration and respect for the job. I admit, I probably do have a preconceived notion of what being a grunt entails, but what I do know is that I want to contribute to the effort and do something with my life. College wasn’t what I had expected, and to be quite honest I feel like a free rider with too many privileges. And to answer BigAlHolmes’ question- for quite some time I’ve wanted to join the Corps but for various reasons went to school, and now I’m not sure if I’d be qualified for officer school due to a relatively recent event in my life. I’m prepared to discuss it with a recruiter. According to Capital M, it looks like I’ll have some time to figure things out. Thanks again for the responses they are appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It is virtually impossible to give an accurate description of a day in the life of a grunt. You could end up getting to play with cool new toys and shooting at bad guys or you could end up guarding the am-trac park at camp fuji. Roll the dice.

There are some smart and educated fellas in the infantry. Without them all us dummys in the grunts would still be trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

If officer aint your gig then officer aint your gig. You could have a super ninja master doctarate in underwater basket weaving but if you think you aren't cut out to be an officer then you aint.

I probably should have chosen to word that part differently. I’m sorry, I meant no disrespect to Infantry. I was actually trying (failing) to express my admiration and respect for the job.....
    I knew what you meant.

Besides in 1966 my unit did an operation, up into Charlie Ridge, right along side the grunts (Alpha 1/1). I watched from feet away as they began an assault, up a hill, against a dug in enemy, who had more fire power than you'd like to see.

I thought those grunts were pretty badass also at the time.

I still do.

and to be quite honest I feel like a free rider with too many privileges.

The exact reason I went to Parris Island instead of Quantico

Thread Information