Rifle during Boot Camp? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for all the information and advise.

I am trying to be careful about the learning of bad habits and improper techniques. The purpose of owning the rifle would be mostly learning to take it apart and putting it back together, and cleaning it, among other reasons. I would do very little actual firing.

Right now my main focus is on physical training. I am in the third class PFT. I plan on having a first class PFT score before I ship to boot camp. I have the time and body to do it.

If you go to San Diego, you should be using an A4 with iron sights. My company and about 5-6 companies behind us were all using A2s, but when we went to turn in our weapons, the armory was working on a whole bunch of A4s getting ready to issue them to recruits.

My drill instructors were happy enough with the change, because A4s are heavier. I foresee much rifle IT upcoming for some future Alpha company recruits....

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip H View Post
    Thanks for all the information and advise.

I am trying to be careful about the learning of bad habits and improper techniques. The purpose of owning the rifle would be mostly learning to take it apart and putting it back together, and cleaning it, among other reasons. I would do very little actual firing.

Right now my main focus is on physical training. I am in the third class PFT. I plan on having a first class PFT score before I ship to boot camp. I have the time and body to do it.
    Young man, everything that you will need to know about about the rifle, will be taught to you the Marine Corps way.
    Just focus on getting yourself into shape and learning Marine Corps knowledge.

The best marksmen we had were the guys who had never fired a weopon in thier life it was easy for them to learn the Marine Corps way of doing it.

\The purpose of owning the rifle would be mostly learning to take it apart and putting it back together, and cleaning it, among other reasons. I would do very little actual firing.

Go to YouTube and search "Field Striping an M16" It's cheaper then going out and buying a rifle. As stated before, you will have plenty of time to learn about the M16 in boot camp. A 3rd class PFT ain't sh!t, it just means you passed.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine
    Young man, everything that you will need to know about about the rifle, will be taught to you the Marine Corps way.
    Just focus on getting yourself into shape and learning Marine Corps knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangovictor87
    Go to YouTube and search "Field Striping an M16" It's cheaper then going out and buying a rifle. As stated before, you will have plenty of time to learn about the M16 in boot camp.
    When it comes down to it, I just want one... Before some unnamed person reinstates his version of the Clinton weapons ban.

Quote Originally Posted by tangovictor87
    A 3rd class PFT ain't sh!t, it just means you passed.
    Yes I know. That's why I am going for 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by derikdrock1989
    Hes wrong i graduated from boot April 2 and we still used the M16A2 with Iron sights. You use the A4 with acog at ITB and MCT.
    I was thinking he was just trying to make a sell.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken
    Go there as a dry sponge and then suck up everything they throw at you.
    Yes yes.

When it comes down to it, I just want one... Before some unnamed person reinstates his version of the Clinton weapons ban.
    Well in that case have at it. I'd get the Ruger SR 556.

Yes, we had M16A2's with collapsible stocks in boot camp and M16A4's in MCT. BTW collapsible stocks absolutely suck for drill.

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    they dont make an a2 with a collapsible stock those are m4's im pretty sure lol

1: Do NOT, repeat, NOT, attempt to train yourself, or have someone else 'train' you in marksmanship. Or even stripping the weapon. There is a certain way that the drill instructors want it done, and it will be done THAT way and no other. You do yourself more harm than good by trying to 'familiarize' yourself on your own, and I don't care who is 'helping' you do it.

2: Spend your time improving your PT score. It will be better spent and pay off in the long run. Period. Save the weapons crap for later.

3: If you want to have a 'boot camp' graduation present, either 'gift yourself' with the weapon you want or have your parents do it for you. But only AFTER you graduate.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    AR's don't have a front take down pin. There is a screw that requires a tool. There is not a 3 round burst seer. The selector lever says safe .. fire ... safe. The 3 round burst seer has 3 different trigger pulls. The trigger weight varies on slow fire. Some AR's stil have the A-1 sights. Front and rear are designed to be adjusted with a round and there is no elevation knob. Kentucky windage. We don't use it any more.

You go practicing with a across the shelf AR you'll produce many bad habits and no good ones.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What freakin' difference does it make WHAT you shoot? We'll teach you how to shoot it, clean it, tear it apart, put it back together and love it. We'll even make you give it a "female" name!

Quote Originally Posted by eleventen32 View Post
    Yes, we had M16A2's with collapsible stocks in boot camp and M16A4's in MCT. BTW collapsible stocks absolutely suck for drill.
    again they do not make a2s with collapible stocks those are m4's!

First off, if you want an AR-15 for whatever your personal reasons are, fine. Get whatever you want, don't spend all that money to get a "boot camp A2 style AR." I am not going to tell you not to get an AR because you will absolutely build bad habits. By all means, get one set up how you want, and have fun with it. Better yet, build one (like I did) and you'll ahve a much better understanding of how everything works, granted the fire control group will be much different). When you get to boot though, listen to the PMIs and only the PMIs, forget everything you think you know. Also, by way of having personal weapons, it is going to be a huge PITA to try to move around with it once you are out of school, especially WRT base housing.

Yes, you could have a collapsible stock on an A2. The M4 has a shorter barrel and a carbine length gas system, as well as a carbine buffer setup. You can run a full length M16 upper on a lower with a carbine buffer and collapsible stock, and it would not be an M4.

Additionally, you can configure an AR-15 to be identical to an A2 with the only difference being the fire select. As a result the trigger weight may be slightly different but not by much.

I have no idea if there is any truth to this but my friend told me they are getting rid of PMI's and replacing them all with range coaches, and will be nixing irons all togher. I know that during re-qual we can use ACOGs and bipods now, basically our actual combat setup. I hope that they don't get rid of the PMIs and fundamentals in boot, because as someone who is become a much more avid shooter in the private sector, I can't stress how valuable those fundamentals are. for any firearms application.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    again they do not make a2s with collapible stocks those are m4's!
    Yes, they do.

Here's the actual contract issued from the DoD to TACOM.

https://aais.ria.army.mil/AAIS/Padds...R0219/0000.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Yes, they do.

Here's the actual contract issued from the DoD to TACOM.

https://aais.ria.army.mil/AAIS/Padds...R0219/0000.pdf
    that was for testing only so technically im wrong there but the order was cancelled

https://aais.ria.army.mil/aais/padds...R0219/0001.pdf

furthermore that was army not Marines

Thread Information