Rifle during Boot Camp?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rifle during Boot Camp?

I was in a gun store yesterday.

I asked to look at the AR15A2 rifles; the man behind the counter seemed to give me a funny look and asked what I meant by A2, so I told him 20" barrel, carry handle. They didn't have any on their shelf of AR's, so he handed me a AR15A4 with ACOG sighting system.

Then another man said he had made it himself to Marine Corps spec. Also said he was an active duty Marine. He asked me what I wanted the rifle for, and said to familiarize myself with it for boot camp. Then the he said that the Marine Corps does not use the M16A2 rifle anymore, not even for boot camp, that they use the M16A4 with ACOG sights.

He said it was because you will probably ship to a combat environment as soon as you get out of SOI, and would not have time to properly train with the M16A4 platform.

So my question is, will I use an M16A2 with iron sights or the M16A4 with ACOG sights when I ship to boot?

I know the Army uses similar sighting systems during basic, but the Marine Corps?

Thanks,
    Phillip

I got the A2 when I went to boot camp 3.5 years ago. Someone here mentioned not too long ago that they are starting to transition to A4s in boot camp. I'm not sure about using ACOGs in recruit training.

What you should do is talk to one of the new Marines that checks in with your recruiter from boot camp. They'll have the latest greatest scoop.

I can't see recruits using the ACOG in training. The Marine Corps teaches basic marksmenship. What would you do if your ACOG didn't work when in combat. You have to rely on your iron sights.

We didn't use glass until MCT. Boot camp was M16A2s with iron sights. This was two years ago for me.

That being said, the two rifles are practically identical. And a basic AR15 will get you familiar with the workings of an M16 but careful not to teach yourself any bad habits that you'll have to unlearn. The thing with the rifle range is that even if you've been shooting since you were five, you are taught and must fire the way the Marine Corps tells you to fire, not the way you've been shooting all your life.

We had the M16A2 in boot camp and the A4 in MCT. You will do Iron sights in boot camp and have the ACOG in MCT. this is like 6 months ago... If you can shoot with an iron sight the ACOG is no problem. Now I am pretty sure the females get issued the collapsable buttstock in bootcamp for good. But I hear males may be getting them soon as well. But my advice just wait until bootcamp to learn the rifle. That is what the range is for.... And you will learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo4 View Post
    We had the M16A2 in boot camp and the A4 in MCT. You will do Iron sights in boot camp and have the ACOG in MCT. this is like 6 months ago... If you can shoot with an iron sight the ACOG is no problem. Now I am pretty sure the females get issued the collapsable buttstock in bootcamp for good. But I hear males may be getting them soon as well. But my advice just wait until bootcamp to learn the rifle. That is what the range is for.... And you will learn it.
    They get A2s with collapsible butt stock?

Hes wrong i graduated from boot April 2 and we still used the M16A2 with Iron sights. You use the A4 with acog at ITB and MCT.

they dont make an a2 with a collapsible stock those are m4's im pretty sure lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip H View Post
    He said it was because you will probably ship to a combat environment as soon as you get out of SOI, and would not have time to properly train with the M16A4 platform.
    Phillip, let me throw at totally different idea out there.

Let the Corps give you the training you need? You'll do just fine not knowing a thing about the weapon they give you in Boot Camp.

The Corps has over 230 year experience of turning totally ignorant civilians who know nothing about rifles into marksman, sharpshooters, and experts, many of whom have gone off to war to win the battles they face, even if they fight with a different weapon than what they learned on in Boot Camp.

By trying to get step ahead of your Boot Camp training, you may actually develop some ideas and habits that could actually make things more difficult for you because your Drill Instructors have to unfvck everything you thought you knew.

Go there as a dry sponge and then suck up everything they throw at you.

Just my thoughts from one of those totally-ignorant-civilians-who-knew-nothing-about-rifles-turned-expert.

Good luck to you...

also we do still use a2 iron sights and a4s with iron sights. when i was on miramar since the units arent deploying always they still had a2's the heavy deploying units get the a4's and its up to your command if u get the "RCO" aka acog.

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    they dont make an a2 with a collapsible stock those are m4's im pretty sure lol
    I don't know. I read something a while back about the Army fielding A4s with collapsible stocks. I don't understand the reasoning behind putting different stocks on those 30 year old A2s though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There are enough differences between the civilian AR-15 and the military M-16 that you will do yourself more harm than good trying to self teach on the civilian version.

It doesn't make sense to issue the A4's in boot. You only really fire the rifle one week. Drill would be kinda difficult with an RCO. Save your money, you'll have plenty of time to learn the in's and out's of the M16 service rifle. The only thing you can do to be better prepared for boot camp is physical conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by tangovictor87 View Post
    It doesn't make sense to issue the A4's in boot. You only really fire the rifle one week. Drill would be kinda difficult with an RCO. Save your money, you'll have plenty of time to learn the in's and out's of the M16 service rifle. The only thing you can do to be better prepared for boot camp is physical conditioning.
    That is a great point. Your initial PFT (IST) at receiving, you will probably loose 5 to 10 guys just for failing the IST. You may loose 1 or 2 guys for going UNK on the range. Focus on what is important.

Thread Information