Has to be Marines, but officer or enlisted?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Has to be Marines, but officer or enlisted?

I've already decided that if I'm going to join the military, it's gotta be the Corps. I'm not going to work for the military for benefits or for what I can get out of it, I'm going to join the Marines because there is no other branch that can make me the best. Actually, there is no other JOB that could make me the best. I'm not looking to make a career out of it, I'm just considering it because, in the long run, it WILL give back to me, but not anymore than what I put in.

The only question is, officer or enlisted? After the Marines, I want to pursue a career in writing, be it journalism or freelancing or whatever. I don't want to be an officer to "be better than the enlisted men" or to "make it to the top", because that kind of careerist thinking is ****ed up and that's not who I'd want to be. I once heard that the Marine Corps is "about the enlisted men, and that everyone else, including the officers, is just support".

My grandfather was an officer in the Navy and he was the one who told me to be an officer if I joined. I have the grades and all that bull****. But I wanted to get a perspective from enlisted men first.

Another question I had: I hear a lot of former Marines ranting about why NOT to join, about the brainwashing and mental casualties and so forth. However, the vast majority of Marines and Veterans I've heard from are nothing but proud to be Marines, so I get the impression that these dissenting individuals aren't to be given as much credit. Obviously, as a liberal arts guy, I want my mind and my personality to remain intact. So I just wanted to hear from those who are better and far more experienced than I to enlighten me.

Another reason I'm drawn to the Corps is, I guess, a twisted, morbid fascination and irony. I am half Japanese, and I know that nobody is better at killing japs and gooks (or anything else, for that matter) than a United States Marine.

I have nothing but respect and envy for you guys, so I appreciate any and all input from you. Please enlighten this ignorant wannabe.

No way am I touching this one...

Based on the obvious intelligence and significant world view behind your post I think its obvious.

Enlisted.

Then hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtsunami123 View Post
    I am half Japanese, and I know that nobody is better at killing japs and gooks (or anything else, for that matter) than a United States Marine.
    I bet gramps would be proud to hear ya flap your gums like that.

My suspicion is that you are a troll. Maybe a tad bit more educated then most, but let's see how this plays out.

You haven't even started college yet. There's only one direction you can go right now. You can either enlist now or come back here in 4 years with a college degree and ask this question again (minus that last bit).

So where's the question in there? It sounds like you've already made up your mind to go enlisted.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtsunami123
    I am half Japanese, and I know that nobody is better at killing japs and gooks (or anything else, for that matter) than a United States Marine.
    Totally uncalled for.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input. I do plan on attending college first before I make a decision. I'm only 18 and I don't want to feign any kind of intelligence or knowledge. That's why I'm asking you guys.

And I apologize for the last bit. Working all day and staying up late tends to make me run my mouth a bit. I'll have to fix that.

Anyway, I'm grateful for your replies.

Credits
    Savings
    By the way, I apologize for sounding anything less than respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtsunami123
    That's why I'm asking you guys.
    Yes, this does bother me...how about Marines, not you guys.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes ma'am. Correction: That's why I'm asking Marines.

Holy Crap did you drink a special flavor of rant coffee this morning. Here is a suggestion. Turn around walk out the door, unscrew yourself, and come back when you can speak with some freaking intelligence. Yeah thats all I got on this one, wow!!!

Credits
    Savings

Break

Come on! Give the kid a break. How much did you know when you were 18 ?? He's trying to be honest and get the true scope. Lighten up already bloodtsunami123 Go talk to a recruiter, he will give you some direction as to what to do. Gary / Moz 68-70 USMC

Last edited by gkmoz; 06-11-10 at 03:16 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    Come on! Give the kid a break. How much did you know when you were 18 ?? He's trying to be honest and get the true scope. Lighten up already bloodtsunami123 Go talk to a recruiter, he will give you some direction as to what to do. Gary / Moz 68-70 USMC

Thank you. I mean holy crap, the kid's apologized and has been very respectful in the process. What the hell more do you want?

Thread Information