Having A Problem With The ASVAB - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don't look at it as a hole, its an opportunity. This gives you time to improve your test taking skills and get in better shape for boot camp.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Your absolutely right thank you sir

Like the other Sgt's said, this is a great opportunity. You can turn lemons into lemonade. I wonder if there is a book that can help you with test-taking? Seriously, I've known others who knew their sh*t inside and out, but had difficulty showing it on tests. You might want to look into that.

The good news is you now have a full 6 months more to study. Like you said, now you have more time to PT and go to poolee functions.

I would highly suggest you stick around leatherneck.com and participate in the poolee forum. You'll learn a heck of a lot about the Corps, you can read what other poolees are asking and what kinds of answers they are getting. You'll also find out you're not the only one with obstacles to overcome, you could be an encouragement to someone else who is having some kind of difficulty.

More good news: with 6 months study time, by the time you get to the next ASVAB, your score could be even higher than you were expecting today, and that could open the door to more opportunties in the Corps.

So, in the short haul, this sucks bigtime.

But in the long run, this could be a great opportunity for your future with the Corps.

Good luck

Have you looked at the practice tests at www . military . com / ASVAB ? Do not click on this since it is not a link and will not take you where you need to go. Manually enter the address without the spaces and it will take you there. I have taken all those tests to see how much of a change there has been over the years. If you take the tests, it will let you see what is incorrect and perhaps how to solve it. If it does not tell you how to solve it....send me a PM and I will assist you in gaining a solution. Just write down the question exactly and we can go from there. As an engineer... I have been through the math gambit and would be pleased to work with you to gain an understanding.

Let me know if I can help.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for the motivation and kind words, I called a tutor who specializes in the ASVAB and im going in Monday to take a test to see what areas I need work in. After that we take it from there, and hopefully this helps me out. Thank you DrZ for the offer,and yes I am familiar with ************* ASVAB. I did great on the English parts, and decent on the math but obviously it was not enough

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Breath....

Relax.....

Push......

Sorry wrong advice....

If you are having trouble with math...go to Wal-Mart and visit the Wal -Martians and go to where they sell the books and flash cards....study those and this will help you along with being tutored.

And relax.... you can do it.....failure is not an option!

Quote Originally Posted by JR189 View Post
    Thank you all for the motivation and kind words, I called a tutor who specializes in the ASVAB and im going in Monday to take a test to see what areas I need work in. After that we take it from there, and hopefully this helps me out. Thank you DrZ for the offer,and yes I am familiar with ************* ASVAB. I did great on the English parts, and decent on the math but obviously it was not enough

I worked with a young man who never graduated from HS and wanted his GED. He purchased one of the study guides for the GED and he found the math...specifically the algebra, geometry, and word problems very challenging. We worked together on it for about 6 weeks and he ACED the math portion. You might want to consider going to one of the local B&N or Border book stores and check them out. Very good tutorial and refresher.

If you need help... the offer stands.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Good Evening Marines
    Just thought I would drop by and give you my current situation. I now have a tutor which is slowly helping me, and a few Poolees that are also helping me as well. I am also still going to PT, and Poolee functions and getting better physically. However if you Marines can please give me some motivation that would be great, I am doing my very best to strive forward and overcome this. When I am sleeping, eating, working, and out all I can think about is someday hopefully having the privilege to join the Marine Corps, and standing tall and proud with you fine Marines. Thank you all for your service

Glad to hear your sticking with it. That kind of determination reflects well on you and will serve you well in the future. Marines don't get frustrated and give up when things get hard and you seem to be living up to those values.

Just keep plugging away and your stubbornness will be rewarded.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JR189 View Post
    Good Evening Marines
    Just thought I would drop by and give you my current situation. I now have a tutor which is slowly helping me, and a few Poolees that are also helping me as well. I am also still going to PT, and Poolee functions and getting better physically. However if you Marines can please give me some motivation that would be great, I am doing my very best to strive forward and overcome this. When I am sleeping, eating, working, and out all I can think about is someday hopefully having the privilege to join the Marine Corps, and standing tall and proud with you fine Marines. Thank you all for your service
    You want motivation?

OK.

Occupation Janitor OR United States Marine!!

Credits
    Savings
    Good evening Marines..just thought i would update my current situation. I have cut down on PT these past few months to focus more on the ASVAB, but I do pull ups, and crunches every day, and run 3 times a week. I bought a few books to help me out on the math, I am constantly reading, and taking practice test after practice test. For the math section I have improved alot, the English parts i was already good at, but the arithmetic reasoning is the only part of the AFQT I am a little nervous about. But I am hitting the books hard, and the motivation I have had has gotten stronger. For the physical part I am on a role, I started with 0 pull ups, 48 crunches, and ran a mile and a half in 14:50. When now I am at 8 pull ups, 77 crunches, and run a little under 12. But I am aware that I wont be going anywhere unless I can climb over come this obstacle. Come January I pray to make myself, and all of you Marines proud. Thank you all once again for your service, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Credits
    Savings
    Good evening Marines..here I am 8 months later, I took the asvab yesterday and passed! I got a 68, I took the paper version. I would like thank all who replied and gave me great advice...now comes the hard part

Well done!!!

Thread Information