Help needed with memorial project
Create Post

Help needed with memorial project

for my English class final I have to make a physical representation of a paper I had to write (my topic was about the rise of military suicides since the war started) and I'm a little stumped so far.

my original idea was to try and make a memorial like the ones using a kevlar helmet, combat boots, M16, dog tags, etc., and then attach a true story of U.S. troop taking their life and struggling with PTSD.

but I couldn't find a kevlar nor dog tags, and obviously I can't bring a weapon to school.. so I'm stuck with a pair of desert combat boots without an idea to use them for. any creative ideas out there?

If you can take a box and put a flag behind them and put the boots at attention. If your willing to, make them look worn and used. If your school would allow you to, also put a few empty shells by the boots, any shells will do, shotgun shells are easy to come by and they do use them over sea's. Will post if I get any more idea's for this.

Niko,
    So apparently we are from the same RS! I know I've seen kevlar in the office in the last couple of weeks, maybe SSgt Drummond (or whose ever it is) would let you borrow it.

Also see if you can borrow a rubber rifle. Im sure your recruiter would let you borrow them for the day. He could even bring the kevlar and m16 rubber rifle into class for you since it would help his job being in your class.

Yeah I knew we had a kevlar in the office but I believe Knudsen took it back. and the rubber rifle is a great idea but my school is pretty strict about any sort of fake weapons.

what I did was create a display poster with around 8000 crosses representing the number of military suicides of the start of OIF/OEF. it was a good way to see each individual cross rather than just a number, I think it was a nice personal touch that made people say "wow so that's what 8000 looks like". I bought a small flag and placed it in the boots with a normal ball cap over the boots. I related the mix of combat boots w/ civilian clothes with the fact that these men and women aren't active duty anymore, but there service will always be a part of them.

my project ended up getting an A and my classmates voted it the best of our class. I actually had fun with a school assignment for once haha

Thats a really creative idea that you had and I agree, post a picture of it, sounds like a fine piece of work!

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    Thats a really creative idea that you had and I agree, post a picture of it, sounds like a fine piece of work!
    x2

I wish I would have guys but as soon as the bell rang I dipped out of high school as fast as possible. it was my last day haha

Quote Originally Posted by nikoreps View Post
    I wish I would have guys but as soon as the bell rang I dipped out of high school as fast as possible. it was my last day haha
    No one can blame you for that, I got like 12 days left myself

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    No one can blame you for that, I got like 12 days left myself
    That..... Well that just sucks haha.

Thread Information