Combat Action Ribbon - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Golf Two Five...I disagree with ya. Put in for it and see what happens. In 'my' day the criteria was the same (return/rec'v fire in some manner), but if the current rules say you deserve/rate it, and you DON'T put in, then the onus is on you. The reason the rules were changed wasn't due to some off the wall PC thing, but to recognize that the definition of 'combat', per se, has changed.

Lastly, it WILL make a difference when it comes to later on, with VA benefits. Something else to consider.

Realistically the definition of "Combat" falls on the shoulders of the SNCO/OIC during this war, especially for the "POG's." Take me for example. My 1st tour I was with IMEF in Fallujah. We were constantly hit by IED's, Mortars, etc. But unless you were physically wounded by any of those, you didn't receive your CAR. During my 2nd tour, it was the same ol thing. I was attached to Regimental Combat Team 8/Combat Logistics Battalion 8 Transportation Support Company and Was on a 6 man Recovery Team. We went out with EOD & on missions for 3/2, 3/1, 2nd Recon, 1st Recon etc. to recover blown up VBIED's, blown up vehicles, shot up vehicles, etc. I was hit by numerous IED's on MSR Tampa, but thankfully enough to the new armor they have on these vehicles, I didn't receive any shrapnel injuries. SO guess what, NO CAR, even thought I have signed letters allowing me to bring some of that shrapnel back to the US from my CC & OIC. I even have pictures from days I got hit.
    When I 1st came into the Corps my 1st unit was a TOW Plt. full of grunts that wanted CARs. Now that I look back, I'm glad I don't have a CAR. My 3 rows and 2 tours are my CAR. Your experience is your CAR.

here is what you have to remember. you know what you did and you dont have to prove that to anyone. i have seen people get CARs that dont rate them and i have seen people NOT get CARs that more than rate them. ribbons are just that. little pieces of cloth. trust me the CAR will not get you anymore benefits than your campaign medal. it sucks but that is the nature of the beast.

Most units put the kibosh on area-IED CARs as well as the mortar CARs. That was big during, and shortly after, the invasion. Any invasion phase is going to net more awards than subsequent sustainment phases as it is a morale issue. Ex., PUC/NUC/JUC, relaxed CAR standards, etc are almost synonymous with an invasion phase. Commanders want to look good during heavy combat phases, and giving their Marines awards allow them to do that. The last couple years in Iraq, before we left that biotch, guys were getting Sea Service and Campaign and thats about it (of course the occasional personal award if someone did a great job or got in a no-**** scrap).

To those thinking of applying for awards after the fact; I just got a NUC from 2003. I didn't know anything about it, until I accidentally butt-dialed a buddy I served with back in the early 2000's and, upon calling me back and talking, discovered we had just been approved for a NUC for a deployment 7 years ago.

Interesting side note...

I recently read that all WWII army veterans (roughly service between 1941-1944) who had received the army's equivalent of the CAR, the CIB (combat infantry badge) were also, retroactively awarded the Bronze Star Medal. President Roosevelt, Exec Order 9419, later amended by president Kennedy, Exec Order 11046.

Mike, you are correct. ALL (Army only) Infantry and Medics who earned the Combat Infantry/Combat Medic badge during WWII, were retroactively awarded the Bronze Star. BUT you had to apply for it.

The thought process behind it was that so many 'acts of valor' went unreported (esp. due to heavy casualties in the European campaign) because officers and SNCO's were killed/wounded, and citations were never written.

I believe, however, it was Truman, not FDR, who pushed the legislation. (And FYI, veterans who have not rec'vd their awards from WWII, who meet the criteria, can still apply and get the BZ).

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by doesitmatter View Post
    here is what you have to remember. you know what you did and you dont have to prove that to anyone. i have seen people get CARs that dont rate them and i have seen people NOT get CARs that more than rate them. ribbons are just that. little pieces of cloth. trust me the CAR will not get you anymore benefits than your campaign medal. it sucks but that is the nature of the beast.

A CAR will get you, in some cases, more benefits than your campaign medal.....CAR is a valor award therefore more credence. If a PTSD claim is filed, the stressor is conceded with ANY type of valor award and speeds up the claim process

Quote Originally Posted by Troutzilla View Post
    A CAR will get you, in some cases, more benefits than your campaign medal.....CAR is a valor award therefore more credence. If a PTSD claim is filed, the stressor is conceded with ANY type of valor award and speeds up the claim process
    I joined the army out of high school. I was sent to Somalia for Operation Restore Hope in 1993. I saw some action...sent fire, and received fire (direct and indirect). 2 guys in my unit got purple hearts. We were in a combat support battalion, NOT combat arms. In the army , the only people who rate the equivalent of a CAR is infantry (a combat infantry badge)...it does not matter how much combat you have seen, in the army's eyes you do not receive recognition for combat unless you are infantry. When I went to the Corps, I was told I do not rate a CAR, and I did not argue (I do not feel like I rate one, and probably never will). Since I have gotten out, I was told by the VA I am considered a combat veteran because of what my army DD 214 says about my service in Somalia. All I have from that deployment is a Armed Forces Expeditionary medal, A humanitarian service medal, and a presidential unit citation. I was told I rate the "combat veteran" status due to the fact I drew hostile fire pay. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    TROUT....you're abso****ingly right! NO CAR.....NO VA PTSD CLAIM!! BUT.....if you've served as a Fire-Rescue Marine, I think that you can get comp, for ptsd.....MAYBE!

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    TROUT....you're abso****ingly right! NO CAR.....NO VA PTSD CLAIM!! BUT.....if you've served as a Fire-Rescue Marine, I think that you can get comp, for ptsd.....MAYBE!
    Did anyone else smell that.........
    It was Doc being a smart azz......
    Pretty familiar smell!

So they aren't accepting non-combat related PTSD?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    So they aren't accepting non-combat related PTSD?

They certainly accept non-combat claims for PTSD. However, that road is a longer and more difficult one to travel. You will need precise and provable documentation of your stressor...names....dates ....location...buddy letters...a DX for PTSD from your Dr. would certainly fortify your case.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Fuc it Medals don't feed the Bulldog S/F

Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    .....I'm giggling, how about you guys??
    If someone doesn't know if they rate a CAR, DO NOT ask here!!....go to your local VA, and they'll tell you.....EH?.....PLEASE!.....

Sigh. Certain things are 'automatic' in the VA as 'evidence' of PTSD, such as a CAR, PH, Valor awards, etc.

Others....are not. And, like has been stated, you have to prove further information with dates, times, etc etc. Some are easier than others (9/11 for me, for example).

Non combat PTSD has to be 'proven' with documentation, etc. And it is harder.

Nowadays, the army has somewhat remedied the disparity regarding the CIB and other MOS's, with the introduction of the "Combat Action Badge", to show that not just Infantry are taking/returning fire. No idea what the VA policy is on the award of the CAB vs PTSD, though.

Without a 'Doc's opine, as Trout stated, you'll have an almost impossible road to go down I believe.

Thread Information