Need help with VA Disability Math - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    imholmes!!...get thyself to an accredited representative and let them do your paperwork...NOW....go ahead and file the NOD for any issue that you disagre with, AND..IF you are not working, get a letter from vour VA physician stateing that your service connected conditions, and those conditions alone preclude you from any form of employment. Submit that letter, along with forms 21-8940 and 21 4192 to apply for increased compensation due to individual unemployability. That should get you paid at the 100% rate. Once you get the IU award, drop the other appeal, it will no longer be necessary.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ....The Top's got it AGAIN!!!.....
    THANKS, TOP!!.....

I heard that if I am under the IU rating and I get a job years down the road I am disqualified from the 100% rate, is this true? And I am working with a DAV rep but he is close to useless.

If you are rated IU, and get a job, you will lose the IU and revert to whatever % you are rated by the rating schedule...As for the rep, find an American Legion rep if the DAV one is not satisfactory. Check your STATE department of Veteran's Affairs (if your state has one), the state reps are usually certified to several service organizations, and will be able to help you.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Disabled American Veterans

273 E 800 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
    (801) 359-8168

Thanks guys, I am looking for a new DAV rep.

Since I have a combined rating of 80%, If I appeal them is there any way I can get a 90% rating? I dont think I will make it to 100% just yet. However I remember reading that the VA does not use the 90% rating...or is that just for PTSD?

VA does use the 90% rating. Keep in mind that just because you appeal a decision does not mean that you will get an increased rating. Speak with your rep and follow his advise. Read the "Reasons and Basis" portion of your rating decision very carefully. It will give a full description of YOUR symptoms for each disability claimed, and the VA description for that disability at the % granted, as well as a description of the symptoms necessary for the next higher rating for that disability. If you meet the criteria for the higher rating, an appeal may be successful, if you do not meet the criteria, you are only wasting your time, as well a the VA's. You can "shop around" for reps, and eventually, you might find one that will "tell you what you want to hear", but that won't necessairly make it correct. Find yourself a rep that will be honest with you and you'll be a lot better off. Keep in mind that it is much easier to get IU than it is to get 100% by the rating schedule...and there is no real difference in the benefit at all, except that you cannot have a job with the IU rating.

Hey, I saw this helpful app. It combines the disability percentages with bilateral factor capability and calculates a current monthly payment. Check it out at www.VetCalc.com

Thread Information