Smithtown Girl Helps Replace Flag
Create Post

Cool Smithtown Girl Helps Replace Flag

Smithtown Girl Helps Replace Flag

By Theresa Vargas
    STAFF WRITER

September 11, 2003

It was a simple gesture, a letter written in an 8-year-old's voice and signed with a small, unsteady hand.

But for one St. James couple, it meant no longer being reminded of the morning they woke up a month ago to find their front yard flag gone, the cord dangling idly from the empty pole.

"Everybody else's was flying and mine was gone," said Helen Mustapich whose son John, 31, is in the Navy stationed off Iraq. "I was furious."

But Tuesday - just weeks after third-grader Kristen Noviello of Smithtown wrote several letters to her local politicians - the Mustapiches had a new flag to fly, one flown over the Capitol and presented Tuesday by Rep. Tim Bishop (D-Southampton). State Sen. John Flanagan (R- East Northport) also gave the family a New York State flag.

For Kristen, Bishop presented a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition. "I was so moved by the letter she sent me," Bishop said Tuesday, standing next to Kristen. "We knew we had to do something."

Kristen learned of the stolen flag from her mother, who had been checking out books at Smithtown's main library when Helen Mustapich, a typist clerk there, mentioned it.

"I was thinking it was wrong and something should be done about it," the Brownie Girl Scout said of why she wrote the letter, adding that she was hoping "this would change everything, that this would help this lady."

In the letter, Kristen writes she's "very concerned about the war in Iraq" and tells the story of "Helen."

"She has a yellow ribbon around her tree and a star in the window and she used to have an American flag outside her door, but it was stolen," she writes. "I was so upset about her loss that I thought maybe you could help her ... "

Tuesday, with Kristen watching, the Mustapiches raised their new Old Glory. Still, the scene remained incomplete. "I wish," Helen Mustapich said, "John was here to see it."
    Copyright © 2003, Newsday, Inc

Kristen Noviello, 8, is presented an award

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...-top-headlines

Sempers,

Roger

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hi. I am touched by your entry. I am Kristen. It's simply amazing that someone would retell my story in memory of thier husband, who died one proud marine. I am honerd beyond belief. I am now in 9th gradelooking back in my third grade adventures. I have thought about what i want to do with my life and I think there is no greater honor than bearing the eagle and anchor, calling myself a marine. Bless you and your family

What?? There is no way.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow, 7 years later ???
    AMAZING!!!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Hi. I am touched by your entry. I am Kristen. It's simply amazing that someone would retell my story in memory of thier husband, who died one proud marine. I am honerd beyond belief. I am now in 9th gradelooking back in my third grade adventures. I have thought about what i want to do with my life and I think there is no greater honor than bearing the eagle and anchor, calling myself a marine. Bless you and your family

We will welcome you to our ranks when your time comes!

Usually we give ATTABOYS for a job well done!

In your case ATTAGIRL & KUDOS!

Semper-Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by NOVI View Post
    Hi. I am touched by your entry. I am Kristen. It's simply amazing that someone would retell my story in memory of thier husband, who died one proud marine. I am honerd beyond belief. I am now in 9th gradelooking back in my third grade adventures. I have thought about what i want to do with my life and I think there is no greater honor than bearing the eagle, globe and anchor, calling myself a Marine. Bless you and your family
    Corrected and God Bless you. who said America's youth is in trouble? There is some hope for us after all! Kristen you are a True Patroit! Keep up the good work and keep your grades up and when you recieve that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor i'll be proud to call you my Sister Marine!

Hi! I figured I owed it to you guys to update. I completed OCS this summer and I commission in May. I had to create a new account because my old one was inactive for so long it got frozen. 14925427_10210117496405753_4172495418507317377_n.jpg See you in the fleet!

Outstanding...

Several years have gone by, yet someone had the drive to continue...

Welcome aboard again.. and Congratulations on an excellent achievement..

SF...

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations!! What a story!!!

HOLY GOTCHA, Catfish,, this is outstanding in deed, and yes welcome aboard,, great story and a very big congratulations to you, Mam,,
    o-MARINE-SALUTE-facebook.jpg

Thread Information