Being aboard Ship ?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Being aboard Ship ?

Who liked being aboard ship ? And what was the type/name of ship you served on ? Temporary/permanent ? maneuvers ? I served on the USS dubuque LPD 8 ( used to be called LSD )1969 out of San Diego for a week and an LST that I don't remember the name of ? Getting old ya know LOL 1833 amtrac crewman ( gas powered ) the diesels were just coming in late 69-70. Who can ever forget coming off ship and going below the water for 20-30 seconds !!!!! ) 03s used to c..p their pants LOL !! Me to first time !! Gary / Moz

2007 was on the USS Essex (LHD 2) with the 31st MEU. It was...okay lol. Spent most my time sleeping, PT'ing, or smoking because there wasn't must work to be done since I was mostly just there for the ride.

Pretty much the same story as haeb for me, except in 2009, and replace smoking and PT with video games and anime.

Also flew over to the USS Denver (LPD-9) during that time via helo. That boat was friggen small in comparison.

LST the Frederick now de-comissioned as I understand it.
    Feb. 1989 I believe.
    Everything sucked and I stayed sick as a dog the
    entire time. No sea legs on this Marine.

Smitty

Got to ride the Merchant Marine troop ship USS Gordon to Korea. In the Mess Hall all the troops stood to eat meals. It was a long ride and lots of puking Marines.

Credits
    Savings

Buying a buiccckkkkkkkkkkkkk

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Got to ride the Merchant Marine troop ship USS Gordon to Korea. In the Mess Hall all the troops stood to eat meals. It was a long ride and lots of puking Marines.
    Fortunately I never had any sea sickness (buying a buiccccccccccckkkk ! ) LOL !!

Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    Fortunately I never had any sea sickness (buying a buiccccccccccckkkk ! ) LOL !!
    A Buick is a great car and that is why you see a lot of old foggys driving them. Pretty much maintenance free.

Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    Who liked being aboard ship ? And what was the type/name of ship you served on ? Temporary/permanent ? maneuvers ? I served on the USS dubuque LPD 8 ( used to be called LSD )1969 out of San Diego for a week and an LST that I don't remember the name of ? Getting old ya know LOL 1833 amtrac crewman ( gas powered ) the diesels were just coming in late 69-70. Who can ever forget coming off ship and going below the water for 20-30 seconds !!!!! ) 03s used to c..p their pants LOL !! Me to first time !! Gary / Moz
    I was on that very same ship in summer of 1988...we were in Korea for Team Spirit near Sa-Song range and we were shipped on a LCAC, HOVERCRAFT, from the well deck of the boat inland for almost a mile........!!!

I was also on the Duluth....the Peoria...and the Germantown......all while in the far east.....as far as liking it....well I didn't like it too much but I did it. LOL....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    1971, On float. Dubukue was one o the 4. My boat was the Tripoli LPH-10. Good times. Might of been the Duluth,,,,,,,, Don't remember.

Heard tell Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount, 1st Duke of Bronte suffered terrible sea sickness from high seas and heavy winds

I was on the USS Dubuque (LPD-8), USS Germantown (LSD-42), USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3) during the 31st MEU in 1998 out of Okinawa. USS La Moure County (LST-1194) and USS Tortuga (LSD-46) during UNITAS 41 in 2000. both the Belleau Wood (She was sunk off the coast of Hawaii as part of RIMPAC '06 exercises on 13 July 2006) and La Moure County (Sunk as a target, July 2001) are sitting on the bottom of the Pacific. Was stuck in Chile for 30 days waiting on the Tortuga after what happened with the County.

WESTPAC '77 with 3/9, took the Alamo LSD-33 from Oki to Japan, then the Juneau LPD-10 from Japan to PI, then the Dubuque LPD-8 back to Oki. Was on another LPD in 78 or 79 for an exercise off Pendleton but I dont remember the name of that one.

Being aboard ship was perhaps one of my best times in the Corps. Not to mention the 5 weeks in PI.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Having a hard time remembering the names of some of the ships I was on for a week or less. There were a couple.

I do remember
    Bristol County
    Frederick
    Belleau Wood
    Essex
    Wasp

Excluding the Belleau Wood and the Bristol County, a lot of those ships I was only on for a few hours or days as part of a beach landing training exercise.

West Pac 1992. LSD40 USS Fort Fisher. About 8 months living on ship. One of the best times I had. I highly recommend a tour on a ship if you can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    WESTPAC '77 with 3/9, took the Alamo LSD-33 from Oki to Japan, then the Juneau LPD-10 from Japan to PI, then the Dubuque LPD-8 back to Oki. Was on another LPD in 78 or 79 for an exercise off Pendleton but I dont remember the name of that one.

Being aboard ship was perhaps one of my best times in the Corps. Not to mention the 5 weeks in PI.

Alamo in 89. That was a well run ship then.

New Orleans in 88. I think I would have been better off being in prison.

I just rode around mostly, went to the workout equipment a little, worked just a wee little, but mostly laid around and watched TV or read.

Thread Information