POW/MIA ceremony
Create Post

POW/MIA ceremony

This past Nov 11, I was asked by my local American Legion to perform their POW/MIA ceremony. I was asked to do it again for Memorial Day and just want some constructive criticism and/or opinions so its perfect

Uniform - I was specifically asked to wear 'Blues' so I chose Bravos over Alphas since I have never seen any members wear medals but a few, on occasion, will wear ribbons. Frankly, I felt overdressed but thats what they asked. Any reason to wear Alphas over Bravos?

Cover - I remained uncovered (indoors the entire time) before we went on stage but covered once we did. Remained covered during Colors, the Pledge, but uncovered while I was speaking. Once finished, I covered, exited the stage, honor saluted the table, about-faced, and walked down the center asile. I removed and remained uncovered for the rest of the ceremony. Does this sound correct or should I have remained covered the entire time?

Before/after dress - Not wanting to draw attention, I arrived in a polo shirt & slacks with my uniform in a hanging bag. Immediately after the ceremony, I changed back. To be honest, although I am an Infantry Marine, I have not been deployed or have ever seen combat and I feel bad taking attention from the dozens of combat veterans in the same room. Sure, I'll shake your hand but if you want to thank someone for their service, go talk to the Gentleman in the wheelchair or the Gentleman with the Purple Hearts. Thats just my opinion so feel free to tell me if that sounds crazy

Any thoughts/opinions/ideas are greatly appreciated

Semper Fi

Wear you full blues not this would give the program the importance that it deserves. Wear you medals/ribbons as they should be done. Stay covered because you are showing the respect to the POW/MIA.

OK come in casual then change as you stated. But stay dressed in you blues if you want go to the Bravo if you wish. Hey Marine they will known you in or out of uniform.

You guys that are serving now are the ones this is all for. You just us all look good, and us old ones are real proud for what you do. Make me get that warm feeling inside.

THANK YOU MARINE

Roger that

Thank You Sgt

Thread Information