Sports
Create Post

Thread: Sports

Sports

Hello Marines, I have a quick question on sports teams in the Marine Corps. I am an all-state 1st team catcher in WI and it is my dream to earn the title Marine. I saw something about an armed forces softball team but it was only slow pitch. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about sports teams in the Marines like Marine only ones or anything. I know I should worry about recruit training, mct, and my MOS school first I was just curious if my love for my sport could come up somewhere in there, and if there were any websites you Marines knew of for more info.
    Thanks in Advance
    -Poolee Jacobsen

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Slap the magazine
    Pull the charging handle to the rear
    Observe the chamber
    Release the charging handle
    Tap the forward assist
    Squeeze the trigger

__________________________________________________ __________

Most bases have various sports programs. You really have to do some homework to get involved but they are out there. The gym usually has all the info you would need. Permission from your command and you're set.

You will have plenty of opportunity. There will be leagues on base, leagues in town. There will be base championships, regional championships (East Coast Regionals, West Coast Regionals, etc) and there will be all Marine teams. The regionals and higher will be on a tryout basis and you will have to get permission from your command to attend. You get issued TAD orders. At least that's how it used to work. I even had to have TAD orders in 1987 to be a member of the coaching staff for the Camp Lejeune Pony League All Stars.

And even though this was long before you were born I at one time ran on the Camp Lejuene X-Country and Road Running teams.

We used to run in our own open meets, other open meets, and against local universities. Local being as far away as Virginia Tech (VPI)

And I had TAD orders to run in Boston. But something called VN got in the way of that.

Really back in the old days one of the first D-1 college football games I ever saw (circa 1959) was the University of Detroit against Quantico MC Base.

My son who got out not all that long ago played soccer in leagues on various bases and or just off base.

Sports have always been a part of the military.

Thank you Marines. I sure hope to get the opportunity to play softball for or in the Marine Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My younger brother played in the West Coast Regionals as a first baseman. He was out of Barstow at the time. This was in the late 1970s though.

I was a basketball official and officiated an East Coast tournament at Lejeune and called a foul on David Robinson......LOL! He had been out of the game for a while since the academy and threw up bricks! Now......hall of fame! Plenty of sports going on in the Marine Corps! First things first......go get that EGA. Everything else will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Slap the magazine
    Observe the chamber
    Tap the forward assist
    Squeeze the trigger

Most bases have various sports programs. You really have to do some homework to get involved but they are out there. The gym usually has all the info you would need. Permission from your command and you're set.
    Bullseye, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGTBrentG View Post
    First things first......go get that EGA.
    Yes sir! Thank you Marines for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Slap the magazine
    Observe the chamber
    Tap the forward assist
    Squeeze the trigger

There are all sorts of opportunities for softball, and a multitude of other sports. It will all be dependent on your commitments, but you should have plenty of time for things like this.

Thread Information